SJSU player accused of rape

Mens College Water Polo
veritas137
How are you connected to water polo?: parent/player

SJSU player accused of rape

Postby veritas137 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:21 am

Ugh, caught this on the news this morning. Innocent until proven guilty but this does not put the sport in a good light, especially with it being a newly reinstated program. Worse is that the accused is an international player here on a scholarship and went back to his home country.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2016/10/11/ ... two-women/

Ram
How are you connected to water polo?: yes

Re: SJSU player accused of rape

Postby Ram » Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:14 pm

If you do a cached version of the roster, you are able to see that there is only one difference compared to the current roster.
Last edited by Ram on Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.

dzeep
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan

Postby dzeep » Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:33 am

Do we have an extradition treaty with SERBIA?

h20poloparent
How are you connected to water polo?: fan

Postby h20poloparent » Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:58 am

Watch what you post, get all the facts before you start slandering a young man. I am sure the law enforcement will do their job. The SJSU campus police is a very good department and I am sure they are working closely with the San Jose Police, and international authorities. I hope this did not happen to the young woman.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:27 am

Let's be careful where we go with this, folks.

The issue has been reported by the San Jose Mercury News so is public knowledge but let's be careful and not allow an anonymous message board be judge, jury and executioner.

Problems/accusations like this are a detriment to the entire sport and all of us who participate in it.

h20poloparent

Postby h20poloparent » Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:07 pm

Thank you Moderator. I appreciate your comment, greatly. That is very wise advice!

Ram
How are you connected to water polo?: yes

Postby Ram » Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:24 pm

h20poloparent wrote:Watch what you post, get all the facts before you start slandering a young man. I am sure the law enforcement will do their job. The SJSU campus police is a very good department and I am sure they are working closely with the San Jose Police, and international authorities. I hope this did not happen to the young woman.

In the title and article, it was revealed that 2 women came forward with similar accusations.

lvthegame

Postby lvthegame » Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:42 pm

I strongly agree that this is not the place for this discussion.

oldtimer
How are you connected to water polo?: All of the above

Postby oldtimer » Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:43 pm

While it is prudent to exercise some restraint when posting names, etc. of those involved in such cases - it should not *ever* be because of what it might do to the sport. That is simply a very bad justification.

That said, there is a followup article here: https://www.mercurynews.com/2016/10/13/ ... dark-room/

dzeep
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan

Postby dzeep » Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:51 pm

Wow, what a shame for these alleged victims. Sad this is happening for the program.

They need to talk to this player and get to the bottom of this. Not sure how this is gonnna go forward. Not sure there is agreements in place between US and Serbia from I've been told.

oneeyeddeacon

Postby oneeyeddeacon » Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:41 pm

oldtimer wrote:While it is prudent to exercise some restraint when posting names, etc. of those involved in such cases - it should not *ever* be because of what it might do to the sport. That is simply a very bad justification./

Agreed 100%. I frankly find some of the comments a bit disturbing, as they seem more concerned with how this incident reflects on the sport rather than the fact that two women may have been sexually assaulted.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:20 am

Michelle Obama echoed my sentiments in her speech in New Hampshire the other night. I believe that all of us on this board agree that there is no situation under which assault on a woman (or a man for that matter) is ok. We do not want to turn this board into the National Enquirer and do an injustice to ANY of the parties or ther families by discussing it.

Water-Polo-Fan

Postby Water-Polo-Fan » Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:21 pm

Moderator wrote:Michelle Obama echoed my sentiments in her speech in New Hampshire the other night. I believe that all of us on this board agree that there is no situation under which assault on a woman (or a man for that matter) is ok. We do not want to turn this board into the National Enquirer and do an injustice to ANY of the parties or ther families by discussing it.

I'm hoping we can all keep WPP the one, if not last, place that we can all retreat to avoid the politics of this country and world. I also don't think I'm alone in not caring about whether or not you agree with Michelle Obama. If you remove the first sentence of your post, you'll see your message stands very well all by itself and Michelle Obama (politics) doesn't have to mix with our beloved water polo.
Thanks!

oldtimer
How are you connected to water polo?: All of the above

Postby oldtimer » Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:29 am

If I were to post a quote or reference a quote that is considered instructive or inspirational that was uttered by Teddy Roosevelt, Abraham Lincoln, JFK, etc. would it be considered 'political'? Why is referencing a quote that has value and naming the person who said it 'politics'? Oh - because YOU decided it was political.

The reality of this particular situation is that a person is accused of committing a heinous crime. The person's heritage, nationality or sport has little to nothing to do with the reason behind the alleged crime. Mentioning that the person attended a particular school, was entered into a particular major, was participating in a particular sport of was living in a particular community does NOT negatively reflect on those things - except in the eye of the beholder... just like in the previous example.

The valid reason it is of interest to anyone on this board is because of the effect it might have on the San Jose water polo program, not because of what it might do to 'the sport', because thinking it reflects poorly on the sport *should* be a ludicrous idea. Sadly, as we see from the comment about politics, far too many people cannot resist making fallacious correlations to unrelated ideas.

I encourage everyone to make a valiant attempt to stop and think before posting. The question of whether the University, or the local police, are effectively dealing with the situation is a valid concern - particularly for anyone who might be considering attending that institution. Therefore, I suggest that discussion of the situation *IS* potentially beneficial to those on this board... as long as the discussion is focused on the handling of the issue and not on the 'politics' and persons involved.

I'll leave with a quote by Eleanor Roosevelt that I have posted before - and hopefully it is not considered 'political' because I have named the person who said it...

Great minds discuss ideas
Average minds discuss events
Small minds discuss people

veritas137
How are you connected to water polo?: parent/player

Postby veritas137 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:45 am

oldtimer, the issue with the media is that they focused on the fact that the accused is a water polo player and that the sport relates to swimming. I'm sure we are all familiar with the Stanford swimmer who recently went to jail for 3 months and had many around the nation screaming that justice was not served. Depending on how this goes, we could end up with another national story putting a black eye on our sport. The second big issue was the news playing up the fact that it was an international student here on a scholarship who fled to his home country.

My intent in posting this was primarily to make the community aware in case they were confronted or asked about it by media, coworkers, parents, or whoever and not be caught off guard. I don't think anyone here vilified the accused athlete nor did they blow off the concerns of the victims.

It doesn't appear that the story spread much out of the Bay Area, but it did receive major coverage here for a few days and will probably come back up again.

Return to “Mens Varsity Water Polo”