2017 Mens Season

Mens College Water Polo

Moderator: Trevor

anythingpolo

2017 Mens Season

Postby anythingpolo » Mon May 15, 2017 1:24 pm

Fantastic finish to the Girls Season concluded yesterday.... So lets get on to our next College season and start talking about the Men's Season for 2017... Good luck to all teams as they start their Summer program to get them ready for the Fall season.

Some starting topics for the season:
1. MPSF who will come out of the big 4 plus 1... Will Cal Repeat, does UCLA fall off a bit this year, does Stanford rebound, will USC be as dominate as they seem they will be next year? ... My earlier prediction is USC will win the MPSF next year.
2. GCC gets their auto bid, who comes out of the GCC.. Can Pepp defend their title? Who will punch their tix to the big dance.. My early prediction is LBST.
3. How good will the teams from the North-east and Mid Atlantic Conference(CWPA) be this year... Don't know enough about them to make a prediction yet.
4. WWPA who looks good?... I put my money on Davis next year.
5. Sciac.. should be a competitive season, hope it is as fun as last year. Picking Redlands to surprise some people this year.

poloswim11
How are you connected to water polo?: Coach, D1 player, fan

Re: 2017 Mens Season

Postby poloswim11 » Wed May 17, 2017 3:48 pm

MPSF- CAL vs Usc--- UCLA lost to much and will be very young, Stanford has not won a title since 2002
GCC- ??????? PEP beat UoP at UoP? UCI should be solid the all the red shirts returning. I say LBSU VS PEP final
CWPA- harvard and brown graduated everyone. Bucknell has some talent. Princeton vs Harvard and Buckell vs ?
WWPA- LMU has talent see if they can put it together, Davis is good. UCSD is always solid. LMU or UCSD or UCD depends who gets the 1 seed. then the other two knock each other out
SCIAC- Whittier is solid. PP will be good again. I say WC vs PP

Rbpolo0414
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan

Postby Rbpolo0414 » Wed May 17, 2017 4:12 pm

MPSF- USC/CAL/Stanford will battle for the title. USC takes MPSF and NCAA's (at USC this year).
GCC- UOP gets back Stevenson and Pavillard, but loses their key 2m defender. They are the class of this conference but UCSB/LB/UCI will make it interesting
CWPA- I'll go Princeton and Bucknell
WWPA- I see no reason why it won't come down to UCSD and Davis again. I'll go Davis.
SCIAC- Pomona

2plyBathingSuit
How are you connected to water polo?: I personally played in High School and College.
Love the sport.

Postby 2plyBathingSuit » Wed May 17, 2017 7:05 pm

MPSF- USC (this is their year but I'll be cheering for Stanford)
GCC- UCI (I have no idea, I just want UCI to become competitive again)
CWPA- Princeton or Harvard (flip a coin)
WWPA- UCSD
SCIAC- Pomona or Whittier (flip a coin)

Thersites
How are you connected to water polo?: Reknown Waterman. Grew up with the Legends of the Game.

Postby Thersites » Fri May 19, 2017 3:17 pm

Any insight as to which key players UCSD and Davis are losing as well as new recruits? Does not seem their recruits on here are filled out.
Rbpolo0414 wrote:MPSF- USC/CAL/Stanford will battle for the title. USC takes MPSF and NCAA's (at USC this year).
GCC- UOP gets back Stevenson and Pavillard, but loses their key 2m defender. They are the class of this conference but UCSB/LB/UCI will make it interesting
WWPA- I see no reason why it won't come down to UCSD and Davis again. I'll go Davis.
SCIAC- Pomona

oldtimer
How are you connected to water polo?: Masters Player, Asst. Coach, rookie referee

Postby oldtimer » Fri May 19, 2017 5:11 pm

MPSF- You can never count USC out. Would love to see Stanford in it.
GCC- I think UoP or Pepp
CWPA- Don't know enough.
WWPA- UCSD or Davis
SCIAC- I heard a rumor that Massi will not play this season for Whittier. That would leave Pomona or Redlands, IMO.

ebb&flow
How are you connected to water polo?: fan, parent, rec player

Postby ebb&flow » Sat May 20, 2017 8:24 pm

MPSF- USC - I agree its their year to win it.
GCC- UoP
CWPA- Princeton but Harvard's new talent will make it tough.
WWPA- Davis but without their goalie - UCSD may edge them out.
SCIAC- Pomona

retiredguy
How are you connected to water polo?: Former player, fan

Postby retiredguy » Sat May 20, 2017 10:13 pm

MPSF -- I think Stanford takes it this year. What I saw last year was a change in style for them and I thought it worked well. They are really strong up the middle, 2MD/2M/Goalie. USC finishes second, Cal third due to questions at goalie, and UCLA 4th due to rebuilding.

GCC -- This is going to be an exciting league this year, many teams with redshirts coming back for the automatic bid. LB/Pepp/UCI/UCSB/UOP are all going to be strong. However, I think UOP would have won easily last year with Pavillard healthy and I think they have the slight edge this season.

CWPA -- Harvard. I like the fact that they landed Blyashov, it seems like almost all the ODP pipeline kids go to the Big 4 and it's nice to see one go somewhere different.

WWPA -- UC Davis seems to be on a run and I like what's going on there. Slight edge for them over UCSD.

SCIAC -- I think Pomona-Pitzer has a good thing going right now and I heard they have a pretty solid recruiting class coming in.

Overall, I think it will be Stanford and USC in the final game and I might give the NCAA title edge to USC just because Vavic will outcoach Vargas in the end.

DinsdalePiranha

Postby DinsdalePiranha » Sun May 21, 2017 2:43 pm

Golden bear gave New York a very tough game today, is that an indication of how tough Cal may be
he nailed your head to the floor? Wol, e ad to, I ad transgressed the unwritten law...

Rbpolo0414

Postby Rbpolo0414 » Sun May 21, 2017 6:31 pm

DinsdalePiranha wrote:Golden bear gave New York a very tough game today, is that an indication of how tough Cal may be

Sure, although I wouldn't take much stock in these exhibitions. Cal, USC and Stanford are about as close as you can be in terms of talent. Any of the three can win it all next year. Stanford looks good and it doesn't look like Hallock played (based on fosh stats).

Justafan2
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan and ex high school coach

Postby Justafan2 » Mon May 22, 2017 9:56 am

DinsdalePiranha wrote:Golden bear gave New York a very tough game today, is that an indication of how tough Cal may be

What broke down defensively on Cals left side that Bowan could score 7 goals on 8 shots? Had Cal been able to keep him moderately in check they could have won.

Inwp
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan, former player

Postby Inwp » Mon May 22, 2017 4:00 pm

MPSF - I think USC takes it again this year in a close game against Stanford in the championship game. Cal will get third place over UCLA.

GCC - I think UOP takes it this year if they are healthy. It will probably be a toss up between them and Long Beach.

CWPA - Harvard. I don't see much of a threat to beat them.

WWPA - Davis in a close game against UCSD. Slight edge to Davis at this time.

SCIAC - Don't know much about this conference, but I hope PP wins.

My prediction is that USC wins the NCAA championship for exactly what RetiredGuy said. Vavic will out-coach Vargas. Although, I will point out that a lot of people thought the same thing would happen last year between Vavic and Everist in the national title game.

Also, the NCAA tournament is at USC this year which will definitely give them a boost due to the large crowds they usually draw.

collegepolo09
How are you connected to water polo?: fan, former player - U. of Redlands -09

Postby collegepolo09 » Mon May 22, 2017 5:53 pm

oldtimer wrote:MPSF- You can never count USC out. Would love to see Stanford in it.
GCC- I think UoP or Pepp
CWPA- Don't know enough.
WWPA- UCSD or Davis
SCIAC- I heard a rumor that Massi will not play this season for Whittier. That would leave Pomona or Redlands, IMO.

Oldtimer, i heard that as well regarding Massi. However, Whittier just released their 2017 recruiting class and it looks like they could be reloading extremely well with 16 players (3 internationals, a transfer from SJST who led the team in scoring his freshman year, and some high quality local talent). Maybe that will be enough to coax Massi back for his final year of eligibility and even if it is not, they look like they will be a contender for the coming years (i expect a year of growing pains first from such a large influx of new talent along with a large graduating class).

Rbpolo0414

Postby Rbpolo0414 » Wed May 24, 2017 1:30 am

Thersites wrote:Any insight as to which key players UCSD and Davis are losing as well as new recruits? Does not seem their recruits on here are filled out.
Rbpolo0414 wrote:MPSF- USC/CAL/Stanford will battle for the title. USC takes MPSF and NCAA's (at USC this year).
SCIAC- Pomona

Davis loses 1 senior and UCSD loses 4, including a couple of top 5 scorers. Recruiting classes are incomplete at this point but CTL could be a starter for UCSD. Davis should be the favorites.

Wpfan2014

Postby Wpfan2014 » Thu May 25, 2017 8:12 pm

Rbpolo0414 wrote:
Thersites wrote:Any insight as to which key players UCSD and Davis are losing as well as new recruits? Does not seem their recruits on here are filled out.
SCIAC- Pomona

Davis loses 1 senior and UCSD loses 4, including a couple of top 5 scorers. Recruiting classes are incomplete at this point but CTL could be a starter for UCSD. Davis should be the favorites.

The player you mentioned has a decent shot and takes a lot of shots so scores a decent amount. But has a long way to go before being able to compete at a high level in college. A real deficiency when it comes to playing defense. However the biggest issue is he's probably the worst I've ever seen in being a team player. Never passes the ball and takes the craziest shots. He thinks he'll surprise the goalie but instead since his teammates don't expect him to shoot, they get countered and give up a goal instead.

Return to “Mens Varsity Water Polo”