Team of the Decade 2009- 2019

Mens College Water Polo
madone
Posts: 186
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:52 pm
How are you connected to water polo?: player, coach, enthusiast

Team of the Decade 2009- 2019

Postby madone » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:44 pm

Who is your team of the decade? I went through some rosters and thought about who I would want on a team. Planning to make a women's roster as well. Open to anyone of any nationality. They needed to be rostered between 2009-2019 and NCAA eligible, so it's light on USC players.

15 players and 2 alternates. 2 goalies, 2 centers, 2 guards, 2 lefties.

Lazar Andric (G) Cal
Alex Bowen (A) Stanford
BJ Churnside (A) Stanford
Anthony Daboub(D) UCLA
Garrett Danner (G) UCLA
Balazs Erdelyyi (A) UOP
Kostas Genidounias (A) USC
Ben Hallock (C) Stanford
Johnny Hooper (A) CAL
Gordon Marshall (C) UCLA
Chancellor Ramirez (D) UCLA
Matt Sagehorn (A) USC*
Josh Samuels (A) UCLA
Luka Saponjic (LA) Cal
Nikola Vavic (LA) USC

A: Ryder Roberts (LA) UCLA
A: Max Irving A, UCLA

retiredguy
Posts: 765
Joined: Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:56 pm
How are you connected to water polo?: Former player, fan

Re: Team of the Decade 2009- 2019

Postby retiredguy » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:08 pm

Well your list is solid but here are some more names I’d throw into the hat:

Aleksa Saponjic (A) Cal
Alex Obert (C) Pacific
Goran Tomasevic (C) Pacific
Luke Pavillard (LA) Pacific
JW Krumpholz (C) USC
Shea Buckner (C) USC
Joel Dennerly (G) USC
Bret Bonnani (A) Stanford
Odysseus Masmanidas (C) Cal
Thomas Dunstan (LA) USC
McQuin Baron (G) USC
Alex Wolf (G) UCLA

Rbpolo0414
Posts: 3356
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:43 pm
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan

Re: Team of the Decade 2009- 2019

Postby Rbpolo0414 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:28 pm

retiredguy wrote:Well your list is solid but here are some more names I’d throw into the hat:

Aleksa Saponjic (A) Cal
Alex Obert (C) Pacific
Goran Tomasevic (C) Pacific
Luke Pavillard (LA) Pacific
JW Krumpholz (C) USC
Shea Buckner (C) USC
Joel Dennerly (G) USC
Bret Bonnani (A) Stanford
Odysseus Masmanidas (C) Cal
Thomas Dunstan (LA) USC
McQuin Baron (G) USC
Alex Wolf (G) UCLA


Dunstan couldn’t remain eligible so he does not belong. How about Paul Reynolds instead? A much better player.

NearSideSkip
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:35 pm
How are you connected to water polo?: player, coach, and fan

Re: Team of the Decade 2009- 2019

Postby NearSideSkip » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:58 pm

Garrett Danner UCLA
Joel Dennerly USC
Kostas Genidounias USC
Bret Bonanni Standford
Johnny Hooper CAL
Luca Cupido CAL
Balazs Erdelyi UOP
Alex Bowen Stanford
Goran Tomasevic UOP
Ben Hallock Stanford
Jon Walters (RIP) USC
Ivan Rackov CAL
JW Krumpholz USC
Nicola Vavic USC
Milos Golic UCSB

Alex Bowen Stanford
Ryder Roberts UCLA

jeff
Posts: 1041
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 6:27 pm
How are you connected to water polo?: I am a fan.

Re: Team of the Decade 2009- 2019

Postby jeff » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:59 pm

Good idea, Madone. I have restricted my list to the 10-year period from 2010 to 2019. If we are going to include players from 2009, I would add J.W. Krumpholz, center, USC, to my list in place of Lachlan Edwards.

Joel Dennerly, goalie, USC
Garrett Danner, goalie, UCLA
Anthony Daboub, 2MD, UCLA
Alex Obert, 2MD/center, Pacific
Ben Hallock, center, Stanford
Lachlan Edwards, center, USC
Luca Cupido, attacker/2MD, Cal
Luka Saponjic, LH attacker, Cal
Nicola Vavic, LH attacker, USC
Aleksa Saponjic, attacker, Cal
Balazs Erdelyi, attacker, Pacific
Kostas Genidounias, attacker, USC
Alex Bowen, attacker, Stanford
Johnny Hooper, attacker, Cal

Ivan Rakov, attacker, Cal, alternate
Bret Bonanni, attacker, Stanford, alternate

Starters:
Dennerly, goalie
Daboub, 2MD
Hallock, center
Genidounias, attacker
Erdelyi, attacker
Bowen, attacker
A. Saponjic, attacker

It was difficult to choose from among the many great collegiate attackers and it was also difficult to find comparable 2MDs (the weakest position in American collegiate and high school water polo). If we were actually putting together a team with these players, Cupido would probably be my starting 2MD. He didn't play a lot of minutes as a 2MD for Cal. However, in 2017, Kirk Everist stated that Cupido is "by far the best two-meter defender in the country when I use him there." In addition, Ivan Rakov would be on my active roster and Nicola Vacic would be an alternate.

You didn't ask us to choose a coach, but, in light of the USC scandal, Adam Wright would be my coach.

SwimCoach
Posts: 1273
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:23 pm
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan, Instructor, Lifelong Swimmer

Re: Team of the Decade 2009- 2019

Postby SwimCoach » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:24 am

madone wrote:Who is your team of the decade? I went through some rosters and thought about who I would want on a team. Planning to make a women's roster as well. Open to anyone of any nationality. They needed to be rostered between 2009-2019 and NCAA eligible, so it's light on USC players.

15 players and 2 alternates. 2 goalies, 2 centers, 2 guards, 2 lefties.

Lazar Andric (G) Cal
Alex Bowen (A) Stanford
BJ Churnside (A) Stanford
Anthony Daboub(D) UCLA
Garrett Danner (G) UCLA
Balazs Erdelyyi (A) UOP
Kostas Genidounias (A) USC
Ben Hallock (C) Stanford
Johnny Hooper (A) CAL
Gordon Marshall (C) UCLA
Chancellor Ramirez (D) UCLA
Matt Sagehorn (A) USC*
Josh Samuels (A) UCLA
Luka Saponjic (LA) Cal
Nikola Vavic (LA) USC

A: Ryder Roberts (LA) UCLA
A: Max Irving A, UCLA


Great idea for a thread. I would definitely have Krumpholz and Cupido on my starting team.

ItsaCaliforniaGame
Posts: 167
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:48 am
How are you connected to water polo?: Spectator

Re: Team of the Decade 2009- 2019

Postby ItsaCaliforniaGame » Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:21 am

Reynolds is the best player and proves it in National League, leading the league in scoring and him and Ryder
were the key components of UCLA's 54 game plus undefeated streak. As to the Aussies and Euros', that does not
belong for all the reasons JV is not coaching.
Rbpolo0414 wrote:
retiredguy wrote:Well your list is solid but here are some more names I’d throw into the hat:

Aleksa Saponjic (A) Cal
Alex Obert (C) Pacific
Goran Tomasevic (C) Pacific
Luke Pavillard (LA) Pacific
JW Krumpholz (C) USC
Shea Buckner (C) USC
Joel Dennerly (G) USC
Bret Bonnani (A) Stanford
Odysseus Masmanidas (C) Cal
Thomas Dunstan (LA) USC
McQuin Baron (G) USC
Alex Wolf (G) UCLA


Dunstan couldn’t remain eligible so he does not belong. How about Paul Reynolds instead? A much better player.

yellowcarded
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:18 pm
How are you connected to water polo?: fan

Re: Team of the Decade 2009- 2019

Postby yellowcarded » Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:55 am

G- Garrett Danner UCLA
G- Lazar Andric Cal
D/U- Alex Obert UOP * I seem to remember him playing a lot here at UOP and the National team
D- Alex Roelse UCLA
C- Zach White Cal *And a lefty
C- Ben Hallock- Stanford
L- Tyler Abramson- Stanford
L- Nikola Vavic- USC
A- Kostas Genidounias- USC
A- Luca Cupido- Cal
A- Johnny Hooper- Cal
A- Ivan Rackov- Cal
A- Alex Bowen- Stan
A- Balazs Erdelyyi- UOP
A- Bret Bonanni- Stan

Alternate: A-Josh Samuels- UCLA
Alternate: C- Goran Tomasevic- UOP

Who needs defense when you can score 30+ every game...

Starters:
G- Danner
C- Hallock
D- Obert
A- Cupido
A- Genidounias
A- Erdelyyi
L- Vavic

fivesixgoalie
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:28 pm
How are you connected to water polo?: played in college and still think i'm so good

Re: Team of the Decade 2009- 2019

Postby fivesixgoalie » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:37 pm

This is a great thread.

My team would look something like this:

G - Lazar Andric
A - Lazar Andric
A - Lazar Andric
2M - Lazar Andric
2mD - Lazar Andric
U - Lazar Andric
L - Johnny Hooper

Gobama
Posts: 153
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:24 pm
How are you connected to water polo?: Yes

Re: Team of the Decade 2009- 2019

Postby Gobama » Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:15 pm

ItsaCaliforniaGame wrote: As to the Aussies and Euros', that does not
belong for all the reasons JV is not coaching.


Vavic isnt coaching because of his role in a fraud and bribery scheme involving domestic non-athletes.

NearSideSkip
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:35 pm
How are you connected to water polo?: player, coach, and fan

Re: Team of the Decade 2009- 2019

Postby NearSideSkip » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:51 pm

NearSideSkip wrote:Garrett Danner UCLA
Joel Dennerly USC
Kostas Genidounias USC
Bret Bonanni Standford
Johnny Hooper CAL
Luca Cupido CAL
Balazs Erdelyi UOP
Alex Bowen Stanford
Goran Tomasevic UOP
Ben Hallock Stanford
Jon Walters (RIP) USC
Ivan Rackov CAL
JW Krumpholz USC
Nicola Vavic USC
Milos Golic UCSB

Alex Bowen Stanford
Ryder Roberts UCLA


And I would start:

Garrett Danner
Bret Bonanni
Johnny Hooper
Luca Cupido
Ben Hallock
Balazs Erdelyi
Nicola Vavic

butterybarin10
Posts: 57
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:44 pm
How are you connected to water polo?: fan

Re: Team of the Decade 2009- 2019

Postby butterybarin10 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:25 pm

My team
Goalie - Garrett Danner No question he was the most talented and successful goalie ( Dennerley won more NCAAs but I think Danner was better) these last 10 years.
#2 - Kostas My opinion the best playmaker of the decade, clutched so many goals to tie/ win big games.
#3 - Hallock Name another center that puts up 8 goals against cal when everybody knows he is the biggest threat on the team . Cal Defense not that stupid.
#4 Hooper More Counter goals then anybody in NCAA, great shooter , everybody knows he's going to take off and score but still nobody can stop him. If you don't like his defense effort, Danner will block more shots then any other goalie in college so that makes up for it .
# 5 Erdelyi potential starter for Hungary Senior team , One of the most dominant players ever in college
#6 Toss up between Bowen and Bonnani , I pick Bowen for his 2M D and overall a better team player. After playing Pro, he's a better shooter then Bonanni was too
#7 Lefty Ryder Roberts. I always liked Ryders game more then Nikola. Deadly lefty to have on a team

Alternates
#8 Mcclintick I know he wasn't a first team selection often in his career but he was one of the best team players and overall balanced players in the past 10 years. Watch the 2014 final
#9 Cupido ..

upandcomer
Posts: 32
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:42 pm
How are you connected to water polo?: Im a player

Re: Team of the Decade 2009- 2019

Postby upandcomer » Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:36 pm

Balasz Erdyli is a leader for the young Hungarian Senior National Team

upandcomer
Posts: 32
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:42 pm
How are you connected to water polo?: Im a player

Re: Team of the Decade 2009- 2019

Postby upandcomer » Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:38 pm

People hate the foreigners to much. Without the euro influence the game would be a joke

NearSideSkip
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:35 pm
How are you connected to water polo?: player, coach, and fan

Re: Team of the Decade 2009- 2019

Postby NearSideSkip » Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:05 pm

upandcomer wrote:People hate the foreigners to much. Without the euro influence the game would be a joke


who is hating the foreigners?

Return to “Mens Varsity Water Polo”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest