Athletic Scholarships & Unemployment

Mens College Water Polo
maytea
How are you connected to water polo?: player

Athletic Scholarships & Unemployment

Postby maytea » Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:34 am

Had an interesting conversation today with a friend at work.

The NCAA recently announced that athletic scholarships will not be impacted if 2020/2021 seasons are cancelled.

If the kids are not practicing 20+ hours a week and competing / representing the school, it seems if they will keep there scholarship they should be doing something else with their 20+ hrs of free time to support the community or school. (Especially true for semi Pro international students taking athletic scholarships away from US kids)

What concerned me was the implication that some of these kids (again on a full athletic ride) may be collecting unemployment this summer.

If confirmed, does anyone else find this disturbing that kids on a full ride will be keeping their scholarships plus have the option to collect unimplemented this summer?

Rational
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan

Re: Athletic Scholarships & Unemployment

Postby Rational » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:33 am

Damn Freeloaders!

"international students taking athletic scholarships away from US kids" - you lost me here .... the scholarships don't "belong" to US kids any more than the oil in Texas "belongs" to America. The oil belongs to the oil company that pulls it from the ground - they can sell it almost anywhere they want (no N.Korea / Iran).

The scholarships belong to the school - they can give them out however they want. The college coaches job is to win, and they're going to get the best kids they can with their money.

Imagine you have an $80,000 coupon - and with that coupon, you can buy either an Audi or a Saturn - which do you pick?

Obviously, this can be taken too far (ex: Tennis) where a team is 100% international and there is no alumni or local engagement as no one from the team is from the area surrounding the school.

Now, there is a different issue that often gets lumped in with this, such as UOP and USC stacking their rosters with 10+ foreigners on only 4.5 athletic scholarships, but that is a different discussion.

JackBurton
How are you connected to water polo?: Gold Standard of USA Water Polo

Postby JackBurton » Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:39 pm

maytea wrote:Had an interesting conversation today with a friend at work.

The NCAA recently announced that athletic scholarships will not be impacted if 2020/2021 seasons are cancelled.

If the kids are not practicing 20+ hours a week and competing / representing the school, it seems if they will keep there scholarship they should be doing something else with their 20+ hrs of free time to support the community or school. (Especially true for semi Pro international students taking athletic scholarships away from US kids)

What concerned me was the implication that some of these kids (again on a full athletic ride) may be collecting unemployment this summer.

If confirmed, does anyone else find this disturbing that kids on a full ride will be keeping their scholarships plus have the option to collect unimplemented this summer?

I don't find this disturbing at all. I'm surprise that they can get UI and after reading this I'm not exactly sure how they can get it -

https://www.ncpanow.org/news/releases-advisories/ncpa-calls-on-ncaa-to-enact-covid-19-relief-transfer-and-compensation-freedoms-for-college-athletes#:~:text=NCAA%20rules%20heavily%20restrict%20the,when%20they%20lose%20their%20scholarship.&text=Team%20scholarship%20limits%20should%20be,roster%20limits%20would%20still%20apply.

But lets say they applied and received UI here is how they would be able to maintain benefits until practice began. The EDD(California) will ask the following question: Did your employer give you a return to work date?

Because of this anyone who is getting unemployment benefits will continue to get UI benefits if their claim was filed before the NCAA came out with this statement. It is not enough to assume that you will be returning to play you'll need to have a return to work date. Since the statement came out from the NCAA the EDD will most likely use the first date of practice to end EDD benefits.

I just don't understand how they(athletes) would even qualify if they are not paying in the the EDD system. For example my job doesn't pay into social security so I will not able to draw SS when I retire.

Pacificblue
How are you connected to water polo?: former player, parent, fan

Postby Pacificblue » Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:54 pm

maytea wrote: What concerned me was the implication that some of these kids (again on a full athletic ride) may be collecting unemployment this summer.

With everything going on in the world right now, can you imagine worrying about something as silly as this?
Last edited by Pacificblue on Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CapeFear
How are you connected to water polo?: Player

Postby CapeFear » Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:39 pm

This is ridiculous. You worked a job ( as many athletes do), why can't you apply for unemployment? Further there are only 4 scholarships for Men's water Polo and hence less than 1 % are getting money, and few if any are getting a full-ride. Many are pool lifeguards at their schools, and not getting paid and lucky some are Ocean lifeguards and getting paid.

maytea
How are you connected to water polo?: player

Postby maytea » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:23 pm

Just to clarify, for all the NCAA athletes that are not on scholarship, and would normally be taking full time employment over the summer (if they are unable to find work this summer) 100% the unemployment helps them out the same as it does for any other US citizen that can not work.

If an NCAA athlete remains on scholarship (Football Basketball etc) they are getting payed indirectly via the scholarship. (This is always the argument on why athletes should not be payed as there payment is the scholarship they receive)

I'm not losing sleep over it, just thinking money should be going to the folks that have bills to pay.

CapeFear

Postby CapeFear » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:33 am

Whose paying the athletes rent and expenses over summer, while typically they are training at schools like SC, UCLA, CAL, etc? The athletes, their parents or they are lifeguarding at their respective schools. Hence, they should have the right to collect unemployment to pay their expenses, even if they are foreigners if they paid in. Illegal’s are getting unemployment benefits in California. Not as crazy as it seems, as most are W2 employees paying into the system under fake SS #,s and never will Receive SS or Medicare.

quote="maytea"]Had an interesting conversation today with a friend at work.

If confirmed, does anyone else find this disturbing that kids on a full ride will be keeping their scholarships plus have the option to collect unimplemented this summer?[/quote]

OCPoloDad

Postby OCPoloDad » Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:28 pm

CapeFear wrote: Illegal’s are getting unemployment benefits in California. Not as crazy as it seems, as most are W2 employees paying into the system under fake SS #,s and never will Receive SS or Medicare.

Undocumented workers do not get unemployment. Please note that the one-time benefit noted below is for the 150,000 who apply, yet there is an estimated 2 million in California.

Below from California EDD FAQ: https://edd.ca.gov/Unemployment/FAQ_-_Eligibility.htm
I’m not a US citizen. Can I collect UI benefits?
To collect UI benefits, you must show that you were in satisfactory immigration status and authorized to work in the United States when earning the wages you used to establish your claim. You must also give proof that you are currently in satisfactory immigration status, and are authorized to work each week that you claim benefits.

Below of what they have received once, if they applied.
"The one-time benefit will provide $500 of support per adult, with a cap of $1,000 per household, Newsom's office said. The fund combines $75 million in state donations with $50 million from private philanthropists, and is expected to benefit about 150,000 undocumented adults, according to the state's website."
https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/18/us/calif ... index.html

To Polo; typically parents pay as you say. In my case, my kids worked in the summer when they could for discretionary income purposes. In addition, California weekly benefits range from $40 to $450 and because student-athletes will typically only work Summer's, they may not even qualify for California EDD, or if they do, it will be a minimal amount. You need to make $17K + to qualify for CARES I believe.

CapeFear

Postby CapeFear » Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:34 am

Thanks for the correction. I was thinking of CARES- that Newsom allowed payments to illegals. However, major US corporations like MCDonalds, Walmart, etc at one time we’re not verifying SS numbers and millions of illegals pay
SS, FICA, Medicare and will never see a cent.

The truly tragic result in the US is people are forced to go to work sick with Corona to financially Support themselves, as they have no choice.

Cal Polo Enthusiast
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan

Postby Cal Polo Enthusiast » Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:23 am

CapeFear wrote:Thanks for the correction. I was thinking of CARES- that Newsom allowed payments to illegals. However, major US corporations like MCDonalds, Walmart, etc at one time we’re not verifying SS numbers and millions of illegals pay

The truly tragic result in the US is people are forced to go to work sick with Corona to financially Support themselves, as they have no choice.

That is what happens when the disenfranchised are denied medical assistance. Socialized medicine is so much cheaper and provides massive economic benefits, as those who can't afford medical insurance are far healthier and therefor contribute far more economically. Although ethically it is the correct thing to do it doesn't matter as economically it is the right thing to do. But we continue to victimize those in society with the least.

CapeFear

Postby CapeFear » Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:26 am

I'm fortunate to be in a country where healthcare is a "human right" and mandatory. No Gatekeeper, deductible, co-pay, out of pocket for pharma. If you can't afford health insurance, the Government pays. Eventually, the U.S. will see it makes economic sense and improves GDP. All 37 OECD countries have it, except one.
Cal Polo Enthusiast wrote:
CapeFear wrote:Thanks for the correction. I was thinking of CARES- that Newsom allowed payments to illegals. However, major US corporations like MCDonalds, Walmart, etc at one time we’re not verifying SS numbers and millions of illegals pay

That is what happens when the disenfranchised are denied medical assistance. Socialized medicine is so much cheaper and provides massive economic benefits, as those who can't afford medical insurance are far healthier and therefor contribute far more economically. Although ethically it is the correct thing to do it doesn't matter as economically it is the right thing to do. But we continue to victimize those in society with the least.

Return to “Mens Varsity Water Polo”