Roster Sizes

Mens College Water Polo
EBWPDad
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan/Parent

Roster Sizes

Postby EBWPDad » Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:09 am

Genuine question and not trying to pick on any school. Curious does the NCAA have a limit on the number of players that a school can have on the roster? Looking at some of the new updates to school rosters UCSB has 38 players (13 new freshmen), and USC 30+ and shows 7 new freshmen.

I had heard USC had 11 incoming players, but now show just 7 and UCSB with 13 new is a big class. Would like to know if this is left up to each school or does the NCAA have any rules in place.thx

Rational
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan

Re: Roster Sizes

Postby Rational » Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:02 am

When a team makes it to the NCAA tournament, there is a roster limit, I believe it is 16 athletes.

The MPSF has a travel limit of 18 athletes for the MPSF away team on conference games only, no limit for home MPSF team, no other conference has any limits. The rules aren't clear on who is to enforce this limit or what the consequences are for not abiding by the limit though.

As far as I know, those are the only limits imposed.

Side note - there was a rumor that a few years ago UCLA, Cal and USC had a handshake agreement to self-impose a cap of about 30 athletes each to stop the insane rosters of the past. It seems that USC losing to UOP (2x), Pepperdine and SB last year has ended that.

sbdad
How are you connected to water polo?: parent, fan, player

Postby sbdad » Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:36 am

90 percent or more of the new class will red shirt. They will practice with the team and be developed for the future. Very few freshmen at the D1 level will be ready to make any impact. Yes there are the exceptions but the more competitive schools will attract top players that wont mind sitting in the bleachers their freshmen year. And that does not count against their 4 years of eligibility. Some may sit 2 years before getting a cap number. Some are just a practice dummy for 5 years. I think it comes down to how many guys a coach wants to deal with.

McKlintock

Postby McKlintock » Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:45 pm

EBWPDad wrote:Genuine question and not trying to pick on any school. Curious does the NCAA have a limit on the number of players that a school can have on the roster? Looking at some of the new updates to school rosters UCSB has 38 players (13 new freshmen), and USC 30+ and shows 7 new freshmen.

I had heard USC had 11 incoming players, but now show just 7 and UCSB with 13 new is a big class. Would like to know if this is left up to each school or does the NCAA have any rules in place.thx

Wow, UCSB with a huge roster that includes 22 true freshmen/sophomores. I heard 2021 recruiting has slowed with their assistant coach no longer with the program, but doesn't look like they will need of lot of guys in that class.

Interesting that some of the announced USC recruits are not included on their current roster, including Miller from San Juan Hills. Wonder why.

Rbpolo0414

Postby Rbpolo0414 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:07 pm

McKlintock wrote:
EBWPDad wrote:Genuine question and not trying to pick on any school. Curious does the NCAA have a limit on the number of players that a school can have on the roster? Looking at some of the new updates to school rosters UCSB has 38 players (13 new freshmen), and USC 30+ and shows 7 new freshmen.

Wow, UCSB with a huge roster that includes 22 true freshmen/sophomores. I heard 2021 recruiting has slowed with their assistant coach no longer with the program, but doesn't look like they will need of lot of guys in that class.

Interesting that some of the announced USC recruits are not included on their current roster, including Miller from San Juan Hills. Wonder why.

What happened to the assistant coach?

I won’t speculate on the USC roster but I imagine Molthen is getting a good slug of scholarship money that maybe shuffled some things around with the incoming class. Just a thought.

retiredguy
How are you connected to water polo?: Former player, fan

Postby retiredguy » Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:59 pm

Or maybe some of those guys decided to take a gap year? Seems like it wouldn’t be the worst move if you are an incoming freshman...why pay $70k for this particular year of college.

Dinosaur dad
How are you connected to water polo?: Former plater, enthusiast, dad

Postby Dinosaur dad » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:20 am

retiredguy wrote:Or maybe some of those guys decided to take a gap year? Seems like it wouldn’t be the worst move if you are an incoming freshman...why pay $70k for this particular year of college.

Smart move.

Gap year and still have 5 years to play four

arbolado

Postby arbolado » Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:54 am

Rational wrote:Side note - there was a rumor that a few years ago UCLA, Cal and USC had a handshake agreement to self-impose a cap of about 30 athletes each to stop the insane rosters of the past. It seems that USC losing to UOP (2x), Pepperdine and SB last year has ended that.

According to their 2021 rosters they Posted each have:

UCLA - 31
Cal - 24
USC - 32

janea
How are you connected to water polo?: Both of my brothers are playing it

Postby janea » Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:11 pm

When a team makes it to the NCAA tournament, there is a roster limit, I believe it is 16 athletes.

The MPSF has a travel limit of 18 athletes for the MPSF away team on conference games only, no limit for home MPSF team, no other conference has any limits. The rules aren't clear on who is to enforce this limit or what the consequences are for not abiding by the limit though.

As far as I know, those are the only limits imposed.

Side note - there was a rumor that a few years ago UCLA, Cal and USC had a handshake agreement to self-impose a cap of about 30 athletes each to stop the insane rosters of the past. It seems that USC losing to UOP (2x), Pepperdine and SB last year has ended that.

The NCAA set a roster limit at 35 players and restricted the number of players on scholarship to 27 starting with the 2009 season. Before, teams could have an unlimited amount of players on their roster and on scholarship

wplover
How are you connected to water polo?: fan. parent

Postby wplover » Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:04 am

sbdad wrote:90 percent or more of the new class will red shirt. They will practice with the team and be developed for the future.

Since NCAA granted an extra year of eligibility to all fall sports athletes, I'm not so sure the freshmen will be red shirting this year. What would be the purpose? I think kids will be deferring, taking gap years and quiting the sports across all schools, but especially among the very expensive private schools.

Cal Polo Enthusiast

Postby Cal Polo Enthusiast » Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:27 am

This is such an abnormal year I'm not sure that much can be assumed from looking at the publicly shown rosters.

One thing that has probably been affected by covid is overseas recruitment. In some cases I think teams have decided not to recruit this year or reduced recruitment, as even if there is a season it likely won't be a full season. In other cases I suspect the US isn't a very attractive destination at the moment, because we have such a bad job with the pandemic. Some countries like Australia currently have travel bans so recruitment from there is going to difficult or impossible this year. USC and UCSB both have Australian's on their roster. Does anyone know if they are still here because if not they may not be able to return for some time?

Until the NCCA gave everyone a 5th year I thought you would see many non-Freshman who hadn't already redshirted would do so so. Now only those who are going to play for overseas clubs whose seasons go beyond the start of the NCAA season, whenever that is, won't be able to play. If we have a winter season we might therefore see normal patterns of freshmen redshirting.

Rational

Postby Rational » Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:39 am

I believe you are mistaken, you are describing the roster rule from NCAA baseball.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/2 ... 335956002/

If you have better info, please post your source:

janea wrote:The NCAA set a roster limit at 35 players and restricted the number of players on scholarship to 27 starting with the 2009 season. Before, teams could have an unlimited amount of players on their roster and on scholarship

socalsocial
How are you connected to water polo?: fan

Postby socalsocial » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:20 pm

If the sport ever wants to really grow. They need to cap rosters at 25.
This will make all teams outside the big 4 more competitive even down to D3

-32H20polo
How are you connected to water polo?: fan

Postby -32H20polo » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:23 am

[quote="Cal Polo Enthusiast"]This is such an abnormal year I'm not sure that much can be assumed from looking at the publicly shown rosters.

Some countries like Australia currently have travel bans so recruitment from there is going to difficult or impossible this year. USC and UCSB both have Australian's on their roster. Does anyone know if they are still here because if not they may not be able to return for some time?

Yes, some of the players from Australia are here already.

Sctrojanje
How are you connected to water polo?: Family and fan. Daughter plays, I played and wife coached and played

Postby Sctrojanje » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:01 pm

From CBSSports.com yesterday

Gov. Gavin Newsom declared there’s nothing in the state’s guidelines that’s stopping them.

“I want to make this crystal clear,” Newsom said. “Nothing in the state guidelines denies the ability for the Pac-12 to resume. Quite the contrary. That’s been a misrepresentation of the facts.”

What isn’t clear is how teams would practice or play games when state guidelines do limit gatherings of cohorts to 12 or fewer. UCLA, USC and other college programs have players and staff that total more than 100 people.

Return to “Mens Varsity Water Polo”