South Coast Tournament

Boys High School Competition
waterpolo4lyfe44
How are you connected to water polo?: fan

South Coast Tournament

Postby waterpolo4lyfe44 » Tue Sep 06, 2022 12:24 pm

For the second straight year, Newport Harbor has denied J Serra an invitation to the South Coast Tournament. This is so hard to understand when the top teams are all supposed to be invited. If Newport Harbor if so concerned about winning their own tournament, maybe they should invite more JV teams like they did last year. It doesn't seem like something a team coming of a CIF and National title would do. Hopefully they include the best teams in the future. :

hmmm
How are you connected to water polo?: I run the snack shack, I see all.

Re: South Coast Tournament

Postby hmmm » Tue Sep 06, 2022 4:43 pm

waterpolo4lyfe44 wrote:If Newport Harbor if so concerned about winning their own tournament, maybe they should invite more JV teams like they did last year. :

Imagine being so clueless you would write something like this. Before you come out of the gates with your first-ever post, try doing a little research. Way to drop a turd on your Water Polo Planet debut.

PoloNoNoz
How are you connected to water polo?: administrator, fan and sometimes coach

Postby PoloNoNoz » Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:14 pm

Perhaps it has more to do with the way JSerra was/continues to openly recruit players. It would be nice if Palle would finally stand up and do her job.

OCPoloDad

Postby OCPoloDad » Wed Sep 07, 2022 11:26 am

PoloNoNoz wrote:Perhaps it has more to do with the way JSerra was/continues to openly recruit players. It would be nice if Palle would finally stand up and do her job.

I don't think that's it. If so, NH would have done this years ago with another parochial school who has participated in this Tournament. Palle was with CIFSS then as well. Privates recruiting is as old as WP Planet. I am going back a ways to 2008-2009 but I don't remember J Serra participating in this Tournament when it was led by P Asic who had a stellar team, but I could be wrong with that recollection.

Keep in mind that the SC Tournament is not the only showcase; Memorial Cup, North South Challenge and others. I don't know J Serra's schedule, but I bet there are one if not two of their tournaments that will match up against the top teams.

Rbpolo0414
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan

Postby Rbpolo0414 » Wed Sep 07, 2022 12:30 pm

OCPoloDad wrote:
PoloNoNoz wrote:Perhaps it has more to do with the way JSerra was/continues to openly recruit players. It would be nice if Palle would finally stand up and do her job.

I don't think that's it. If so, NH would have done this years ago with another parochial school who has participated in this Tournament. Palle was with CIFSS then as well. Privates recruiting is as old as WP Planet. I am going back a ways to 2008-2009 but I don't remember J Serra participating in this Tournament when it was led by P Asic who had a stellar team, but I could be wrong with that recollection.

Keep in mind that the SC Tournament is not the only showcase; Memorial Cup, North South Challenge and others. I don't know J Serra's schedule, but I bet there are one if not two of their tournaments that will match up against the top teams.

They are in The Elite 8 and North South, which are both better tournaments. Santa Barbara to start the year. I’d argue all those are better for the team.

waterpolo4lyfe44

Postby waterpolo4lyfe44 » Wed Sep 07, 2022 1:26 pm

hmmm wrote:
waterpolo4lyfe44 wrote:If Newport Harbor if so concerned about winning their own tournament, maybe they should invite more JV teams like they did last year. :

Imagine being so clueless you would write something like this. Before you come out of the gates with your first-ever post, try doing a little research. Way to drop a turd on your Water Polo Planet debut.

If you were serious about this Forum, and what it stands for, you wouldn’t come out of the clouds with a 5th grade “turd” comment and actually look at facts. i hope we can continue the discussion without being defensive and emotional You know the old saying “ the truth hurts ” seems to be the case here, being exposed hurts ...

So let’s look at the facts about this tournament and it’s lacking. It’s evidently obvious by the lack of 2021’s tournament not filling up the bracket, along with entering JV teams, that the tournament director was omitting some teams from being entered into their tourney. All of the tournaments everywhere else made an effort of inviting all of the top 8 teams. See below for the 2021 South Coast Tournament bracket:

JV entries for the South Coast 2021 tourney.

Costa Mesa CDM Foothill NHHS
Huntington Beach Mater Dei Sacred Heart Harvard Westlake
Bishops Orange Lutheran Cathedral Catholic Newport Harbor
Laguna Oaks Christian Palos Verdes Santa Barbara
Santa Margarita Loyola Foothill Campolindo
Los Alamitos CDM Long Beach Wilson San Clemente
Edison Dana Hills Servite Beckman
Costa Mesa San Juan hills Northwood Dos Pueblos
Bye/Open Bye/Open Harvard Westlake JV Newport JV

waterpolo4lyfe44

Postby waterpolo4lyfe44 » Wed Sep 07, 2022 1:29 pm

Rbpolo0414 wrote:
OCPoloDad wrote:

They are in The Elite 8 and North South, which are both better tournaments. Santa Barbara to start the year. I’d argue all those are better for the team.

Just found it odd for J Serra not to get the invite. Feels like the top team in the nation should've been invited. I understand wanting to win your own tournament but you also want it to be valid.

Justafan22
How are you connected to water polo?: Just a fan of WP

Postby Justafan22 » Wed Sep 07, 2022 7:26 pm

I'm not saying JSerra does or does not openly recruit, but if somebody actually has a trail to show the proof, then just send it to Palle, and get her facts she can look into. Maybe she will do something about it and maybe she won't, but you did your part. CIFSS can not on their own, uncover all violations

topten

Postby topten » Wed Sep 07, 2022 11:47 pm

I must be missing something?
help me understand.
what rules could they have violated?
Where is this stated in the CIF?
Private schools can provide scholarships to students, correct?

Public schools can allow out of district students to apply, correct?
Then the school can allow or not allow, correct?
Public schools can allow in district students to apply, correct?

Justafan22

Postby Justafan22 » Thu Sep 08, 2022 3:27 pm

topten wrote:I must be missing something?
help me understand.
what rules could they have violated?
Where is this stated in the CIF?
Private schools can provide scholarships to students, correct?

Public schools can allow out of district students to apply, correct?
Public schools can allow in district students to apply, correct?

I could be wrong on this, but a HS coach, is not supposed to target and recruit a specific player, to come to his school, for athletic reasons. That's why I mentioned above, to another posted comment, that if somebody has a trail that shows a player was pursued by the coach, then turn that info to CIF and let them decide if it's OK or not. Very simple.
If you are just going by assumptions, then it's like assuming somebody robbed a bank, because they just bought a new car.

Sorry, this subject thread is supposed to be about South Coast Tournament, and now we are going way off subject. But I already took the time to write it so...

OCPoloDad

Postby OCPoloDad » Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:24 pm

waterpolo4lyfe44 wrote:
hmmm wrote:

If you were serious about this Forum, and what it stands for, you wouldn’t come out of the clouds with a 5th grade “turd” comment and actually look at facts. i hope we can continue the discussion without being defensive and emotional You know the old saying “ the truth hurts ” seems to be the case here, being exposed hurts ...

So let’s look at the facts about this tournament and it’s lacking. It’s evidently obvious by the lack of 2021’s tournament not filling up the bracket, along with entering JV teams, that the tournament director was omitting some teams from being entered into their tourney. All of the tournaments everywhere else made an effort of inviting all of the top 8 teams. See below for the 2021 South Coast Tournament bracket:

I am confused by this so please explain: The NH JV (17th) and the HW JV (25th) are not normal JV teams as you think of them; obvious by the fact that they finished ahead of other teams (30 total) varsity programs. If you are discounting these JV teams, what do you say about LB Wilson, San Clemente, Dana Hills, Dos Pueblos to name a few whom they placed ahead of? Several of which are storied programs.

The then 9/13/2021 CIFSS Rankings: https://cifss.org/rankings/9-13-2021-bo ... polo-poll/

Huntington Beach - D1 #1
Mater Dei - D1 T#2
Sacred Heart - Don't know but eventual CIF NorCal D1 Champions
Harvard Westlake - D1 T#2
Bishops - Don't know but all with knowledge know they always end up in CIF finals in San Diego
Orange Lutheran - D1 #T5
Cathedral Catholic - Don't know but eventual CIF San Diego 2021 Open Championship
Newport Harbor - D1 #T2
Laguna - D1 T#7
Oaks Christian - Ranked in "others" category
Palos Verdes - D1 T#8
Santa Barbara - D1 #9
Santa Margarita - D1 T#14
Loyola - D1 #T10
Foothill - D1 #T10
Campolindo - Don't know
Los Alamitos - D1 #12
CDM - D1 #13
Long Beach Wilson D1 #T14
San Clemente - D1 #T18
Edison - D2 #4
Dana Hills - D1 "others" ranking
Servite - D2 #2
Beckman - D1 "others" ranking
Costa Mesa -
San Juan hills - D2 #5
Northwood - D1 "others" ranking
Dos Pueblos - D1 "others" ranking
Harvard Westlake JV
Newport JV

Please explain to me how NH was avoiding teams to win their own Tournament, making it "not valid", based on the above at the known time. Other than: JSerra was the only team in the top 8 at that time not participating.

I am sure some of the above rankings can be improved upon or given more detail of at the known time. Also, keep in mind that programs often stay committed to Tournaments they have been part of for years unless they no longer are competitive within said Tournament, or the Tournament is no longer challenging.

GO USA POLO

Postby GO USA POLO » Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:03 pm

Anybody have a link or schedule for this year's Tournament??
Last edited by GO USA POLO on Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rbpolo0414
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan

Postby Rbpolo0414 » Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:15 pm

OCPoloDad wrote:
waterpolo4lyfe44 wrote:
hmmm wrote:

I am confused by this so please explain: The NH JV (17th) and the HW JV (25th) are not normal JV teams as you think of them; obvious by the fact that they finished ahead of other teams (30 total) varsity programs. If you are discounting these JV teams, what do you say about LB Wilson, San Clemente, Dana Hills, Dos Pueblos to name a few whom they placed ahead of? Several of which are storied programs.

The then 9/13/2021 CIFSS Rankings: https://cifss.org/rankings/9-13-2021-bo ... polo-poll/

Huntington Beach - D1 #1
Mater Dei - D1 T#2
Bishops - Don't know but all with knowledge know they always end up in CIF finals in San Diego
Orange Lutheran - D1 #T5
Cathedral Catholic - Don't know but eventual CIF San Diego 2021 Open Championship
Newport Harbor - D1 #T2
Laguna - D1 T#7
Palos Verdes - D1 T#8
Santa Barbara - D1 #9
Loyola - D1 #T10
Foothill - D1 #T10
Campolindo - Don't know
Los Alamitos - D1 #12
CDM - D1 #13
San Clemente - D1 #T18
Edison - D2 #4
Servite - D2 #2
Costa Mesa -
San Juan hills - D2 #5
Harvard Westlake JV
Newport JV

Please explain to me how NH was avoiding teams to win their own Tournament, making it "not valid", based on the above at the known time. Other than: JSerra was the only team in the top 8 at that time not participating.

I am sure some of the above rankings can be improved upon or given more detail of at the known time. Also, keep in mind that programs often stay committed to Tournaments they have been part of for years unless they no longer are competitive within said Tournament, or the Tournament is no longer challenging.

If this guy knew anything about JSerra, he would know that if they played in the South Coast and Santa Barbara tournaments, that they would do so without Ryder Dodd, who is sitting out the transfer period. By avoiding the South Coast, they get to play two tournaments as a full team.

OCPoloDad

Postby OCPoloDad » Sat Sep 10, 2022 12:38 am

Rbpolo0414 wrote:
OCPoloDad wrote:
waterpolo4lyfe44 wrote:
hmmm wrote:

Huntington Beach - D1 #1
Mater Dei - D1 T#2
Orange Lutheran - D1 #T5
Newport Harbor - D1 #T2
Laguna - D1 T#7
Palos Verdes - D1 T#8
Santa Barbara - D1 #9
Loyola - D1 #T10
Foothill - D1 #T10
Campolindo - Don't know
Los Alamitos - D1 #12
CDM - D1 #13
San Clemente - D1 #T18
Edison - D2 #4
Servite - D2 #2
Costa Mesa -
San Juan hills - D2 #5
Harvard Westlake JV
Newport JV

If this guy knew anything about JSerra, he would know that if they played in the South Coast and Santa Barbara tournaments, that they would do so without Ryder Dodd, who is sitting out the transfer period. By avoiding the South Coast, they get to play two tournaments as a full team.

100% agreed! Plus another key player if I remember seeing correctly on another posting.

Justafan22

Postby Justafan22 » Sun Sep 11, 2022 11:29 pm

Anybody knows the schedule for the South Coast Tournament .

Starts Thursday correct?

Return to “High School BOYS”