The (rule) problem in water polo isn't what you think it is

Postby oldtimer » Fri May 22, 2020 9:14 pm

I'm curious what people here think about this concept:

https://www.cbwaterpolo.com/blog/2020/5 ... hink-it-is

ephpolo
How are you connected to water polo?: Ex-player, Ex-coach, referee

Re: The (rule) problem in water polo isn't what you think it is

Postby ephpolo » Sat May 23, 2020 12:47 am

I think this analysis is spot on. But if we are going to apply it, we need to apply it everywhere. Let's go back to a game at center where the offensive and defensive player are in contact body to body, but that holding by either player is an immediate exclusion or contra foul, and two players "locked up" holding each other an immediate double exclusion. The center position will still be physical, but it will be a position of position and leg work, not wrestling. Ordinary fouls will happen at center just as they do on the perimeter, when via contact (but not sinking, holding, or pulling) the defender forces the center to drop the ball.

I quit coaching in 1994, and did not return to the sport until almost 15 years later, when I went to watch a club tournament. I literally did not recognize the game at center. The ordinary foul--around which most front court offenses were organized when I played and coached--was almost non-existent. And holding at center was almost never called on either offense or defense until the ball was passed into to center.

I eventually got a referee's card and learned to call what the game had evolved to--but I still don't really like that game. ;-)

DinsdalePiranha
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan

Re: The (rule) problem in water polo isn't what you think it is

Postby DinsdalePiranha » Tue May 26, 2020 7:46 pm

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, as a basketball fan, the game changed dramatically for the better when they eliminated hand checking, can you imagine what would happen to the game if you couldn’t touch a player with the ball, they couldn’t swim over (charge) over the defender, but could fake, swim around the defender, the only way to stop a player swimming with the ball would be for another defender leave his player and try to establish a position for a “charge” leaving his player for the dish, just like basketball what fun this would be, this idea sounds like a step in the right direction
he nailed your head to the floor? Wol, e ad to, I ad transgressed the unwritten law...

Return to “General”