Question: Multiple offensive fouls

Referee Issues moderated by WPP's Righteous Referee

Moderator: Righteous Referee

retiredguy
How are you connected to water polo?: Former player, fan

Question: Multiple offensive fouls

Postby retiredguy » Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:50 pm

Let’s say for example that the center continues to dive their head backwards as they step out and continues to get called for a head butt. At what point does the same offensive foul over and over and over again become more than a contra foul?

Seems to me that if a player continues to put other players safety at risk by doing the same illegal maneuver, after 3-4-5 times it should be an offensive exclusion or maybe even a yellow card for misconduct?

sbdad
How are you connected to water polo?: parent, fan, player

Re: Question: Multiple offensive fouls

Postby sbdad » Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:47 pm

I would assume that a good ref would give them a warning the second time and if they did it again they should be rolled.

Now, the refs at this years JO's were by far the worst bunch I have ever witnessed. I watched a grumpy old sloth give both teams a yellow card because one girl was trying to draw a foul at mid court under pressure. He claimed simulation and decided that he will start using the new NCAA rules on 12 year old girls. Hey buddy, letting go of the ball does not stop the shot clock so it is not slowing the game down, you can still make it to happy hour.

Water-Polo-Fan

Postby Water-Polo-Fan » Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:39 pm

retiredguy wrote:Let’s say for example that the center continues to dive their head backwards as they step out and continues to get called for a head butt. At what point does the same offensive foul over and over and over again become more than a contra foul?

Seems to me that if a player continues to put other players safety at risk by doing the same illegal maneuver, after 3-4-5 times it should be an offensive exclusion or maybe even a yellow card for misconduct?

Misconduct
WP 22.13 – To be guilty of misconduct, including the use of unacceptable language, aggressive or persistent foul play, to refuse obedience to or show disrespect for a referee or official, or behavior against the spirit of the rules and likely to bring the game into disrepute. The offending player shall be excluded from the remainder of the game, with substitution after the earliest occurrence referred to in WP 22.3, and must leave the competition area.

ephpolo
How are you connected to water polo?: Ex-player, Ex-coach, referee

Postby ephpolo » Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:43 pm

When I played--ending in the early 90's--offensive fouls counted as majors. This was fundamentally unfair, in that offensive fouls were often called for actions that would have been ordinary fouls if committed by a player on defense. (I say this as a relatively unskilled and physical center who collected three fouls fairly often. ;-) )

But it's fundamentally unfair in the other direction that virtually every foul called against the offense is only a turnover. Some of those SHOULD be counted as major fouls--but which ones. In practice, other than fighting and the rare double exclusion, I can recall almost no offensive fouls I've seen called, or called myself, that went on the score sheet as a major.

Which offensive fouls should qualify? How would we distinguish between an ordinary contra foul and a major contra foul? Should an offensive player who commits a major contra be excluded, or is that punishing that player's team twice--first by loss of possession; second by the exclusion.

Would 6-5 counters result in too high a scoring average for a balanced game?

Discuss.

Return to “The Quicker Kicker Outer”