Wright Named Women's coach

Womens College Water Polo

Moderator: Trevor

User avatar
deepwater
Posts: 333
Joined: Sat May 24, 2008 12:05 pm

Wright Named Women's coach

Postby deepwater » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:22 pm


Inwp
Posts: 494
Joined: Mon May 02, 2016 10:48 pm
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan, former player

Re: Wright Named Women's coach

Postby Inwp » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:52 pm

Surprised with the hiring. I'm sure they offered him a solid amount of money to coach both programs. Since he is coaching both programs, he obviously won't be able to put his entire focus on the women's team until after the boys season is done. Jovan Vavic has been able to do it with tremendous success, but he is a special coach. Not very many coaches can do it.

I wonder if Dan Klatt, Natalie Benson, Coralie Simmons, and Chris Oeding turned down the job?

SwimCoach
Posts: 467
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:23 pm
How are you connected to water polo?: H2O fan, swim coach

Re: Wright Named Women's coach

Postby SwimCoach » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:07 pm

Inwp wrote:Since he is coaching both programs, he obviously won't be able to put his entire focus on the women's team until after the boys season is done. Jovan Vavic has been able to do it with tremendous success, but he is a special coach. Not very many coaches can do it?


UCLA is hoping for another Krikorian. Those are some big shoes to fill.

Rbpolo0414
Posts: 1616
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:43 pm
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan

Re: Wright Named Women's coach

Postby Rbpolo0414 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:41 pm

This was probably a money saving move by UCLA. I bet Cal wishes they would of done the same with Kirk due to their financial woes. He will need a strong assistant to help with the workload.

User avatar
dadonthedeck
Posts: 222
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:34 am
How are you connected to water polo?: Dad, fan, walking ATM

Re: Wright Named Women's coach

Postby dadonthedeck » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:48 pm

Rbpolo0414 wrote:He will need a strong assistant to help with the workload.

One familiar with the current class of recruits would be helpful, too.

h20poloparent
Posts: 77
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:27 pm
How are you connected to water polo?: fan-parent

Re: Wright Named Women's coach

Postby h20poloparent » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:26 pm

SwimCoach wrote:
Inwp wrote:Since he is coaching both programs, he obviously won't be able to put his entire focus on the women's team until after the boys season is done. Jovan Vavic has been able to do it with tremendous success, but he is a special coach. Not very many coaches can do it?


UCLA is hoping for another Krikorian. Those are some big shoes to fill.

Shock, I agree with Inwp. I have to wonder why college water polo thinks this good to have one coach for both teams. The only way to be good at it is to be as good as Johan Vavic and have an outstanding Assistant coach. Wish UCLA good luck.

User avatar
deepwater
Posts: 333
Joined: Sat May 24, 2008 12:05 pm

Re: Wright Named Women's coach

Postby deepwater » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:18 am

Inwp wrote:Surprised with the hiring. I'm sure they offered him a solid amount of money to coach both programs. Since he is coaching both programs, he obviously won't be able to put his entire focus on the women's team until after the boys season is done. Jovan Vavic has been able to do it with tremendous success, but he is a special coach. Not very many coaches can do it.

I wonder if Dan Klatt, Natalie Benson, Coralie Simmons, and Chris Oeding turned down the job?


Wright is not and will never be a Vavic or an AK. I wish all the best for both teams after this decision. Still think Benson would have been a great fit.

pologuy41
Posts: 73
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:06 pm
How are you connected to water polo?: Coach

Re: Wright Named Women's coach

Postby pologuy41 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:45 am

This was poorly done by UCLA. Wright is not a step up from Brooks. If your going to move away from a great coach like Brooks, you better have someone already in place to sign on the dotted line. Obviously UCLA did not think this through and thought people would run to them. Too bad. Good luck Coach Wright

User avatar
dadonthedeck
Posts: 222
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:34 am
How are you connected to water polo?: Dad, fan, walking ATM

Re: Wright Named Women's coach

Postby dadonthedeck » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:09 am

pologuy41 wrote:If your going to move away from a great coach like Brooks, you better have someone already in place to sign on the dotted line. Obviously UCLA did not think this through and thought people would run to them.

Outsider looking in, I think you're right. Adam is an obvious choice under the circumstances, but circumstances are far from ideal.

Rational
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:14 pm
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan

Re: Wright Named Women's coach

Postby Rational » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:24 am

Not surprising at all, I imagine Wright was the fall back plan all along. I also imagine the cost of housing and the hellish commute weighed heavily on the decisions for the other 4 coaches... go to zillow.com and look up a 3 bed / 2 bath house within a 30 minute (5-10 mile) commute of UCLA... Would you move?

Stanford has an even more difficult housing situation - I predict the same circumstances will play out when JT retires.

polo12345
Posts: 142
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:52 am
How are you connected to water polo?: fan, ex player

Re: Wright Named Women's coach

Postby polo12345 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:29 am

Coach Wright is a very good coach. His assistant coach for the men is outstanding , Coach Falitz. If he is also the assistant for the women, the two of them will have a big work load, but, they are both hard workers and very dedicated. The program is in very good hands

halfcourt
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:54 pm
How are you connected to water polo?: fan

Re: Wright Named Women's coach

Postby halfcourt » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:14 pm

While I agree he knows his water polo and has proven results on the mens side I don't believe that the women will put up with his antics.
Per the AD:
"but just as impressive is the culture he is able to create through his exceptional leadership abilities, as well as his talent for helping student-athletes develop into well-rounded individuals." Nothing could be further from the truth. His own athletes don't encourage players to go to UCLA and play for him....they all warn the other kids about what they are getting into. The culture on the mens side is not one of harmony and brotherhood. The boys like UCLA but they don't necessarily like playing for him. He is nothing like Adam Kridorian....and the COMPLETE OPPOSITE of John Wooden. I've been told he holds his banquet next to the Wooden Museum.....that's comical. It's too bad. Really such a sad day for womens water polo. But hey, I guess it's good for Stanford and Cal, and really good for the East Coast.

Rbpolo0414
Posts: 1616
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:43 pm
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan

Re: Wright Named Women's coach

Postby Rbpolo0414 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:28 pm

halfcourt wrote:While I agree he knows his water polo and has proven results on the mens side I don't believe that the women will put up with his antics.
Per the AD:
"but just as impressive is the culture he is able to create through his exceptional leadership abilities, as well as his talent for helping student-athletes develop into well-rounded individuals." Nothing could be further from the truth. His own athletes don't encourage players to go to UCLA and play for him....they all warn the other kids about what they are getting into. The culture on the mens side is not one of harmony and brotherhood. The boys like UCLA but they don't necessarily like playing for him. He is nothing like Adam Kridorian....and the COMPLETE OPPOSITE of John Wooden. I've been told he holds his banquet next to the Wooden Museum.....that's comical. It's too bad. Really such a sad day for womens water polo. But hey, I guess it's good for Stanford and Cal, and really good for the East Coast.


Why do you think UCLA continues to get top recruits if he is so difficult to play for?

halfcourt
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:54 pm
How are you connected to water polo?: fan

Re: Wright Named Women's coach

Postby halfcourt » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:41 pm

I think they get top recruits because it's UCLA and it's a great school that is very hard to get into. The school has a great reputation, but although Adam Wright gets results in the pool he does not have a stellar reputation outside of the pool deck. I will be surprised if the girls respond well to his style.

User avatar
dadonthedeck
Posts: 222
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:34 am
How are you connected to water polo?: Dad, fan, walking ATM

Re: Wright Named Women's coach

Postby dadonthedeck » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:45 pm

Rbpolo0414 wrote:Why do you think UCLA continues to get top recruits if he is so difficult to play for?

Same as USC?

Return to “Womens Varsity Water Polo”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest