The remaining 2020 season?

Womens College Water Polo
Schoolyards
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:15 pm
How are you connected to water polo?: Father of a college player

The remaining 2020 season?

Postby Schoolyards » Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:36 pm

There will be no spectators for any Big West sporting events going forward. The Ivy league has already suspended games and spectators as well and students were told to be off campus by 3/15. So what happens to the out of state players, do they go home and no longer play? I´m not sure what to expect from the Pac 12 or other schools but I believe this could be the norm with all colleges in the coming weeks. While games are expected to continue, I doubt we will be watching our kids play live the rest of the season. (live streaming is being considered but may be difficult to do for every school) While i feel terrible for all the kids, I especially feel bad for the freshman as this is their first experience with college, sports & competition and the seniors who are done completely, most of them with polo forever. Even practices and training's are suspended at the end of the season for many schools. This is historic! What are you other parents thinking? I wanted to post here about this so we could all share our thoughts, feelings and experiences about our specific situations and how we can help each other to better understand things during these unfortunate times.

-32H20polo
Posts: 65
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:13 pm
How are you connected to water polo?: fan

Re: The remaining 2020 season?

Postby -32H20polo » Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:29 pm

This is very sad. There are more people that have died from the FLU in the last 6 months than from this. But we also have to be safe. The travel for some teams may become interesting. How many teams have to fly to play their games. It is going to be a shame for all. I actually think it is harder on the seniors. This is it for them and many schools are talking about no commencement ceremonies. That is hard for them they have worked so hard. It is hard on their parents as they have paid and they also want to celebrate/honor their children. No pictures from graduations no pictures from senior games. A lot of missed celebrations for them. On the upside. The expense of all the festivities will be saved. No cost for flying to graduation for parents, grandparents, no hotel stay.

redleader
Posts: 88
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:54 pm
How are you connected to water polo?: Former player

Re: The remaining 2020 season?

Postby redleader » Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:52 pm

Schoolyards wrote:There will be no spectators for any Big West sporting events going forward. The Ivy league has already suspended games and spectators as well and students were told to be off campus by 3/15. So what happens to the out of state players, do they go home and no longer play? I´m not sure what to expect from the Pac 12 or other schools but I believe this could be the norm with all colleges in the coming weeks. While games are expected to continue, I doubt we will be watching our kids play live the rest of the season. (live streaming is being considered but may be difficult to do for every school) While i feel terrible for all the kids, I especially feel bad for the freshman as this is their first experience with college, sports & competition and the seniors who are done completely, most of them with polo forever. Even practices and training's are suspended at the end of the season for many schools. This is historic! What are you other parents thinking? I wanted to post here about this so we could all share our thoughts, feelings and experiences about our specific situations and how we can help each other to better understand things during these unfortunate times.


The only big west post I have seen related to this is the Big West Basketball Tournament. If there is another article I am missing can you send me to this link.

Schoolyards
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:15 pm
How are you connected to water polo?: Father of a college player

Re: The remaining 2020 season?

Postby Schoolyards » Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:39 pm

redleader wrote:
Schoolyards wrote:There will be no spectators for any Big West sporting events going forward. The Ivy league has already suspended games and spectators as well and students were told to be off campus by 3/15. So what happens to the out of state players, do they go home and no longer play? I´m not sure what to expect from the Pac 12 or other schools but I believe this could be the norm with all colleges in the coming weeks. While games are expected to continue, I doubt we will be watching our kids play live the rest of the season. (live streaming is being considered but may be difficult to do for every school) While i feel terrible for all the kids, I especially feel bad for the freshman as this is their first experience with college, sports & competition and the seniors who are done completely, most of them with polo forever. Even practices and training's are suspended at the end of the season for many schools. This is historic! What are you other parents thinking? I wanted to post here about this so we could all share our thoughts, feelings and experiences about our specific situations and how we can help each other to better understand things during these unfortunate times.


The only big west post I have seen related to this is the Big West Basketball Tournament. If there is another article I am missing can you send me to this link.


We received an email from the head coach that was sent by the chancellor and confirmed by our team parent. Maybe I misunderstood, it could only be from the college and not the Big West. That being said, I think it may be for all schools soon as most of them have suspended in person classes already and have encouraged students to vacate the campuses. At bare minimum, I know i won´t see another home game this season!

User avatar
dadonthedeck
Posts: 577
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:34 am
How are you connected to water polo?: Dad, fan, walking ATM

Re: The remaining 2020 season?

Postby dadonthedeck » Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:52 pm

IVY LEAGUE TO CANCEL ALL ATHLETIC EVENTS THROUGH THE REMAINDER OF THE SPRING
https://ivyleague.com/news/2020/3/11/ge ... pring.aspx

Schoolyards
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:15 pm
How are you connected to water polo?: Father of a college player

Re: The remaining 2020 season?

Postby Schoolyards » Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:19 pm

dadonthedeck wrote:IVY LEAGUE TO CANCEL ALL ATHLETIC EVENTS THROUGH THE REMAINDER OF THE SPRING
https://ivyleague.com/news/2020/3/11/ge ... pring.aspx


https://ucirvinesports.com/news/2020/3/ ... pdate.aspx

lopcroix
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:46 pm
How are you connected to water polo?: Parent of a college player

Re: The remaining 2020 season?

Postby lopcroix » Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:41 pm

As of yesterday, my daughter's non-Ivy CWPA team was planning on continuing practices and competitions (in-season athletes would be allowed to stay on campus while off-season and non-athlete students needed to move out).

The impacts of the Ivy decision have yet to be seen, but it removes 3 teams from the league and the league play weekends were scheduled to be held at Princeton and Brown this year. I feel worst for the seniors and their parents.

Schoolyards
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:15 pm
How are you connected to water polo?: Father of a college player

Re: The remaining 2020 season?

Postby Schoolyards » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:52 am

lopcroix wrote:As of yesterday, my daughter's non-Ivy CWPA team was planning on continuing practices and competitions (in-season athletes would be allowed to stay on campus while off-season and non-athlete students needed to move out).

The impacts of the Ivy decision have yet to be seen, but it removes 3 teams from the league and the league play weekends were scheduled to be held at Princeton and Brown this year. I feel worst for the seniors and their parents.


After the suspension of the NBA season yesterday, I am bracing for a suspension of the NCAA basketball season as well. If that happens, I wouldn't be surprised to see all other college sports follow their lead. :sad:

-32H20polo
Posts: 65
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:13 pm
How are you connected to water polo?: fan

Re: The remaining 2020 season?

Postby -32H20polo » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:15 am

I agree this is especially hard on the seniors and their families. I also hate to say I think it is time to call all sports for this season. If only to protect people from the possibility of catching it. The next thing is what happens to eligibility for kids? Do the schools give refunds for room and board? If a student has labs classes or required in person classes how is that going to go? It has to be consistent from state to state and all colleges and universities public or private. This is a horrible situation for all. Everyone take care.

User avatar
dadonthedeck
Posts: 577
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:34 am
How are you connected to water polo?: Dad, fan, walking ATM

Re: The remaining 2020 season?

Postby dadonthedeck » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:29 pm

-32H20polo wrote:I agree this is especially hard on the seniors and their families. I also hate to say I think it is time to call all sports for this season.

Agree

lopcroix
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:46 pm
How are you connected to water polo?: Parent of a college player

Re: The remaining 2020 season?

Postby lopcroix » Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:13 pm

lopcroix wrote:As of yesterday, my daughter's non-Ivy CWPA team was planning on continuing practices and competitions (in-season athletes would be allowed to stay on campus while off-season and non-athlete students needed to move out).

The impacts of the Ivy decision have yet to be seen, but it removes 3 teams from the league and the league play weekends were scheduled to be held at Princeton and Brown this year. I feel worst for the seniors and their parents.


Update: season has been cancelled for spring athletes, too. I think it will become increasingly untenable for any school administration to not cancel. If something were to happen to an athlete, coach or support staff, the ramifications would be severe and long lasting for their institution.

kna
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:22 am
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan

Re: The remaining 2020 season?

Postby kna » Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:19 pm

Patriot League has cancelled all athletics for the rest of the academic year.

Bucknell water polo is done.

https://collegiatewaterpolo.org/patriot-league-presidents-announce-decision-to-cancel-spring-athletic-events-for-remainder-of-academic-year/

Schoolyards
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:15 pm
How are you connected to water polo?: Father of a college player

Re: The remaining 2020 season?

Postby Schoolyards » Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:35 pm

kna wrote:Patriot League has cancelled all athletics for the rest of the academic year.

Bucknell water polo is done.

https://collegiatewaterpolo.org/patriot-league-presidents-announce-decision-to-cancel-spring-athletic-events-for-remainder-of-academic-year/


PAC 12 & Big West too, the season is over! :sad:

lopcroix
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:46 pm
How are you connected to water polo?: Parent of a college player

Re: The remaining 2020 season?

Postby lopcroix » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:32 pm

Schoolyards wrote:PAC 12 & Big West too, the season is over! :sad:


NCAA has now essentially blanket cancelled everything

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/med ... mpionships

HawkinsPolo4
Posts: 252
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:52 pm
How are you connected to water polo?: College water polo graduate, four-year high school player, and long time club player. Now coaching club year around and playing masters

Re: The remaining 2020 season?

Postby HawkinsPolo4 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:34 pm

The MAAC also just put out a cancellation to all Spring sport practices and competition.

The only leagues whom haven't issued a statement as of now are the CWPA, GCC, and WWPA.

The SCIAC has also not issued a statement, which will really hurt the D3 championship on the women's side. A few of the CWPA D3 schools have already cancelled their water polo seasons too

Return to “Womens Varsity Water Polo”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest