JOs postponement & 2020-2021 CIF-SS girls HS season

Girls High School Competition
badboy
Posts: 229
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:22 pm
How are you connected to water polo?: parent

Re: JOs postponement & 2020-2021 CIF-SS girls HS season

Postby badboy » Fri May 29, 2020 7:06 pm

SwimCoach wrote:
badboy wrote:Why would any club send a less-than-best squad? I'm struggling to think of a HS team that could compete with a club team (e.g., OLU and Foothill couldn't beat the SoCal team those girls play on).


Don't the OLu girls play on their own Northwood club?


Not all of them. At least a few play at SoCal.

newtothisgame
Posts: 152
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:38 pm
How are you connected to water polo?: Parent and fan.

Re: JOs postponement & 2020-2021 CIF-SS girls HS season

Postby newtothisgame » Fri May 29, 2020 8:10 pm

badboy wrote:
Sctrojanje wrote:USA Water Polo is asking for a blanket exemption to CIF rules regarding club play during season

This will bring more high school teams to zone tournaments


Why would any club send a less-than-best squad? I'm struggling to think of a HS team that could compete with a club team (e.g., OLU and Foothill couldn't beat the SoCal team those girls play on).


Assuming that this year’s graduating seniors will not be playing with their Club team and will instead be concentrating on college, I think that this upcoming year’s Laguna Beach High School team could do pretty well at JOs. They are very deep which is important at a tournament where you play multiple games every day for four straight.

badboy
Posts: 229
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:22 pm
How are you connected to water polo?: parent

Re: JOs postponement & 2020-2021 CIF-SS girls HS season

Postby badboy » Sat May 30, 2020 1:49 pm

newtothisgame wrote:
badboy wrote:
Sctrojanje wrote:USA Water Polo is asking for a blanket exemption to CIF rules regarding club play during season

This will bring more high school teams to zone tournaments


Why would any club send a less-than-best squad? I'm struggling to think of a HS team that could compete with a club team (e.g., OLU and Foothill couldn't beat the SoCal team those girls play on).


Assuming that this year’s graduating seniors will not be playing with their Club team and will instead be concentrating on college, I think that this upcoming year’s Laguna Beach High School team could do pretty well at JOs. They are very deep which is important at a tournament where you play multiple games every day for four straight.


I'm not doubting that Laguna could do very well. The question is, however, can they do better than the SET team that would play instead? Because remember, that SET team will have Laguna's best, but also a few of RSM's best, one or two of Newport's best etc. Plus, which age group do they play? Not all of the best players are 18U yet. Do you split them? Do underclassmen want to sit on the bench for JO's or start on their club team at 16U (or maybe even a few at 14U still)? Doesn't make a ton of sense.

ethandamato
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:14 pm
How are you connected to water polo?: Club & HS Coach

Re: JOs postponement & 2020-2021 CIF-SS girls HS season

Postby ethandamato » Sat May 30, 2020 2:46 pm

If the calendar doesn’t change Laguna Beach High School’s varsity team will be playing in the Holiday Cup event and then hopefully at the Santa Barbara TOC. At SET we do not plan to ask our kids in high school season to play at the JO event unless it fits for them. I cannot speak for the other high school teams but that is what we will be doing. If CIF allows it I'm sure we will send teams of athletes who are not competing in a high school event at that time. There will be plenty of good competition for those who can play at Junior Olympics. If the calendar changes then we may look at the situation differently.

badboy
Posts: 229
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:22 pm
How are you connected to water polo?: parent

Re: JOs postponement & 2020-2021 CIF-SS girls HS season

Postby badboy » Sat May 30, 2020 5:07 pm

ethandamato wrote:If the calendar doesn’t change Laguna Beach High School’s varsity team will be playing in the Holiday Cup event and then hopefully at the Santa Barbara TOC. At SET we do not plan to ask our kids in high school season to play at the JO event unless it fits for them. I cannot speak for the other high school teams but that is what we will be doing. If CIF allows it I'm sure we will send teams of athletes who are not competing in a high school event at that time. There will be plenty of good competition for those who can play at Junior Olympics. If the calendar changes then we may look at the situation differently.


Interesting...

What about the players who can still go 14U?

newtothisgame
Posts: 152
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:38 pm
How are you connected to water polo?: Parent and fan.

Re: JOs postponement & 2020-2021 CIF-SS girls HS season

Postby newtothisgame » Sat May 30, 2020 5:48 pm

badboy wrote:I'm not doubting that Laguna could do very well. The question is, however, can they do better than the SET team that would play instead? Because remember, that SET team will have Laguna's best, but also a few of RSM's best, one or two of Newport's best etc. Plus, which age group do they play? Not all of the best players are 18U yet. Do you split them? Do underclassmen want to sit on the bench for JO's or start on their club team at 16U (or maybe even a few at 14U still)? Doesn't make a ton of sense.


I misread your question. I agree that they would be better with the Rancho Santa Margarita girls, assuming that they could get some good practice time in as a team beforehand. Out of curiosity, who are the “one or two of Newport’s best” that currently play for SET?
Last edited by newtothisgame on Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

badboy
Posts: 229
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:22 pm
How are you connected to water polo?: parent

Re: JOs postponement & 2020-2021 CIF-SS girls HS season

Postby badboy » Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:18 pm

newtothisgame wrote:
badboy wrote:I'm not doubting that Laguna could do very well. The question is, however, can they do better than the SET team that would play instead? Because remember, that SET team will have Laguna's best, but also a few of RSM's best, one or two of Newport's best etc. Plus, which age group do they play? Not all of the best players are 18U yet. Do you split them? Do underclassmen want to sit on the bench for JO's or start on their club team at 16U (or maybe even a few at 14U still)? Doesn't make a ton of sense.


I did not misread your question. I agree that they would be better with the Rancho Santa Margarita girls, assuming that they could get some good practice time in as a team beforehand. Out of curiosity, who are the “one or two of Newport’s best” that currently play for SET?


Practice time seems pretty immaterial for girls who have played with each other for years already, no?

And I don't know the specifics of any SET team. It was just an example. I assume the same holds true for Foothill, OLU, the Santa Barbara schools, Bishop's and everyone in between.

newtothisgame
Posts: 152
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:38 pm
How are you connected to water polo?: Parent and fan.

Re: JOs postponement & 2020-2021 CIF-SS girls HS season

Postby newtothisgame » Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:22 pm

badboy wrote:
newtothisgame wrote:
badboy wrote:I'm not doubting that Laguna could do very well. The question is, however, can they do better than the SET team that would play instead? Because remember, that SET team will have Laguna's best, but also a few of RSM's best, one or two of Newport's best etc. Plus, which age group do they play? Not all of the best players are 18U yet. Do you split them? Do underclassmen want to sit on the bench for JO's or start on their club team at 16U (or maybe even a few at 14U still)? Doesn't make a ton of sense.


I did not misread your question. I agree that they would be better with the Rancho Santa Margarita girls, assuming that they could get some good practice time in as a team beforehand. Out of curiosity, who are the “one or two of Newport’s best” that currently play for SET?


Practice time seems pretty immaterial for girls who have played with each other for years already, no?

And I don't know the specifics of any SET team. It was just an example. I assume the same holds true for Foothill, OLU, the Santa Barbara schools, Bishop's and everyone in between.


Oops - I meant to type that I DID misread your original question. Sorry about that.

I do not know the exact makeup of the different SET teams either, besides seeing them play in the different tournaments over the years. I was just not aware of any of the best Newport girls currently playing for them.

Justafan22
Posts: 65
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:56 pm
How are you connected to water polo?: Just a fan of WP

Re: JOs postponement & 2020-2021 CIF-SS girls HS season

Postby Justafan22 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:50 pm

Unless I misunderstood what somebody wrote above, I don't think OLU would field a team in the JOs. Their players would just play for their club team, at their appropriate age group. 16s or 18s

Glowstyxx
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu May 16, 2019 5:33 pm
How are you connected to water polo?: Parent of two youth athletes

Re: JOs postponement & 2020-2021 CIF-SS girls HS season

Postby Glowstyxx » Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:40 pm

I know the focus of the thread has been the impact on the change of JO’s for CIF-SS girls HS season but there are considerations beyond that for athletes beyond CA. Coming from CO, with an athlete on 14U and one on 18U, we’re now in the position of our 9th grader missing two days of school to go to NorCal over Thanksgiving (we don’t get the Mon/Tue that week off) and then separately travel to SoCal the day after Christmas. Missing two days of school is much easier for an elementary or middle schooler than a HS’er for one but throwing the cost of travel to CA over two major holidays is something else that should be considered (and if you’re coming in from Hawaii, you’re now traveling on Christmas day). I appreciate the attempt to reschedule but think there are so many factors that seem as if they weren’t considered.

retiredguy
Posts: 840
Joined: Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:56 pm
How are you connected to water polo?: Former player, fan

Re: JOs postponement & 2020-2021 CIF-SS girls HS season

Postby retiredguy » Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:36 am

I’m positive that they considered the travel and school considerations in scheduling these events around the holidays. If the only option is to cancel, it takes away opportunities for our kids to play in a high level national tournament. This tournament is exactly what out of state teams need more of, not less.

This JOs (if it happens) will be smaller and will have a much different feel, but I think you will still see all of the top out of state teams attending.

Still a lot of dominoes to fall into place here for the 16s/18s JOs in my opinion with HS water polo for boys and girls in California. Boys season could get pushed back and girls could too.

User avatar
Punkin
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:17 pm
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan

Re: JOs postponement & 2020-2021 CIF-SS girls HS season

Postby Punkin » Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:23 pm

Curious about this, I wonder what team the coach will pick for Jos. For example, Ethan Coaches the Laguna Beach High School team, but he also coaches the SET team. Will that be the determining factor for what teams each club or high school takes?

desertbeachkid
Posts: 97
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:42 am
How are you connected to water polo?: parent

Re: JOs postponement & 2020-2021 CIF-SS girls HS season

Postby desertbeachkid » Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:05 pm

See link below for Stanford's plans for the fall. It's hard (impossible) to read this and think that Stanford or Santa Clara County is going to allow this event to happen at Thanksgiving.

https://healthalerts.stanford.edu/covid ... emic-year/

Justafan22
Posts: 65
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:56 pm
How are you connected to water polo?: Just a fan of WP

Re: JOs postponement & 2020-2021 CIF-SS girls HS season

Postby Justafan22 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:17 pm

I agree. In reading their plan for the fall, I don't see how they would allow to have the JOs at their pool and on their campus. Unless since they are asking all students to leave before Thanksgiving, then in theory, the JOs crowd would come and go, while no students or faculty are on campus. Except for security and maintenance workers. Still, that's a lot of people, coming from different areas of US, converging around Stanford and vicinity

DavisWP
Posts: 50
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:32 pm
How are you connected to water polo?: fan

Re: JOs postponement & 2020-2021 CIF-SS girls HS season

Postby DavisWP » Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:54 pm

retiredguy wrote:If the only option is to cancel, it takes away opportunities for our kids to play in a high level national tournament. .


I suppose this tournament may still happen as rescheduled, but there will not be anything high level nor national about it. What club is going to ask their kids to get on planes and stay in hotels in flu season? And if asked, how many parents are going to go along just for a watered down festival? Competition-wise nothing will be at stake in this sparsely attended event, so why take the risk.

Return to “High School GIRLS”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 4 guests