2020-21 CIF-SS Division 1/2 Massey Ratings

Girls High School Competition
SwimCoach
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan, Instructor, Lifelong Swimmer

2020-21 CIF-SS Division 1/2 Massey Ratings

Postby SwimCoach » Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:10 am

Here is the CIF-SS Division 1/2 Grouping for 2020-21 season along with their Massey ratings. Hoping that their season comes to fruition.

These type of rankings are always interesting. This one looks pretty accurate to me. Thoughts?

38D7953D-BEC1-4369-8D00-05686B2E9227.png

Justafan22
How are you connected to water polo?: Just a fan of WP

Re: 2020-21 CIF-SS Division 1/2 Massey Ratings

Postby Justafan22 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:37 pm

How exactly do they come up with these. Is it based strictly on past couple of years, or is it projected, to the best of their knowledge, on this coming year, based on players that graduated out, new players coming in, since nobody has played any type of game this year so far.

This is really just a question, not any kind of criticism on the rankings themselves, or the system they use to come up with them.

SwimCoach
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan, Instructor, Lifelong Swimmer

Postby SwimCoach » Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:33 pm

Justafan22 wrote:How exactly do they come up with these. Is it based strictly on past couple of years, or is it projected, to the best of their knowledge, on this coming year, based on players that graduated out, new players coming in, since nobody has played any type of game this year so far.

This is really just a question, not any kind of criticism on the rankings themselves, or the system they use to come up with them.

It looks like they just go off the records from the last two years. I do not think that it takes into consideration players who have graduated, transfers, etc. I think that it only takes into consideration the outcomes of the games that each team plays. Teams that lose key players due to graduation, transfer, etc. will obviously be ranked too high while those teams that do not lose much talent and/or add good players from transfer, etc. will be ranked too low.

The poll is probably best looked at as being indicative of how good the teams were at the end of last year rather than how good they are at the beginning of this season since it does not take any subsequent roster moves into consideration.

C9B2B2A9-6A04-4F28-A800-AB30FB3EB817.png

badboy
How are you connected to water polo?: parent

Postby badboy » Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:36 pm

SwimCoach wrote:
Justafan22 wrote:How exactly do they come up with these. Is it based strictly on past couple of years, or is it projected, to the best of their knowledge, on this coming year, based on players that graduated out, new players coming in, since nobody has played any type of game this year so far.

It looks like they just go off the records from the last two years. I do not think that it takes into consideration players who have graduated, transfers, etc. I think that it only takes into consideration the outcomes of the games that each team plays. Teams that lose key players due to graduation, transfer, etc. will obviously be ranked too high while those teams that do not lose much talent and/or add good players from transfer, etc. will be ranked too low.

The poll is probably best looked at as being indicative of how good the teams were at the end of last year rather than how good they are at the beginning of this season since it does not take any subsequent roster moves into consideration.

C9B2B2A9-6A04-4F28-A800-AB30FB3EB817.png

Watch OLU this year. That's all I'm sayin'.

newtothisgame
How are you connected to water polo?: Parent and fan.

Postby newtothisgame » Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:41 pm

badboy wrote:Watch OLU this year. That's all I'm sayin'.

I agree that Orange Lutheran is going to be very good this year. They have some really solid players returning and some good talent coming up. I do not think that anyone ever underestimates them.

Hopefully there is a season. Even though Laguna looks to be the favorite, I think that any of these teams could make a runs for a CIF title. My Top 5 would be:

1. Laguna Beach
2. Newport Harbor
3. Orange Lutheran
4. Mater Dei
5. Los Alamitos

Foothill lost a lot of seniors, but they always seem to be able to reload. Same thing with San Marcos, so I would never rule out wither these schools.

This is just off the top of my head, so I am sure that I am overlooking someone.

Return to “High School GIRLS”