Zone Tryouts 2009, ODP

Southern Pacific, Central CA, Coastal CA, Pacific NW and Hawaii, Pacific Zones
ValleyPolo

Re: Zone Tryouts 2009, ODP

Postby ValleyPolo » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:28 am

Still don't know what you saw, but here is what I saw. 3 coaches who are not members of the three clubs you mentioned volunteering their time to find a training group. Did they get the top 15 players? Certainly they are part of the group of 32. Were the 32 players chosen the best 32 players? Maybe not, but I'd say pretty close. Maybe they needed certain positions to be filled and so the 32nd best player was replaced by the 34th to fill that need. I also saw that a former East Coast college coach was brought in specifically to work with the goalies and give his input. And as far as players leaving early, the only ones I can think of that weren't there on Sunday and made the team were Manke, Hill and Nueshal. But considering they were training with the Senior National Team at the request of Guy Baker, I'd say its safe to assume they are worthy of being part of the 32 member Zone training team.

If you're so against the tryout procedure, run for a zone office- if you're an active member you would have gotten a nomination email this week. Make it your platform and change things. See how many people agree with you. See how many coaches are willing to volunteer to be criticized for every pick they make. Good luck.
Last edited by ValleyPolo on Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

polopoop

Postby polopoop » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:04 pm

I totally agree with you, and very well said!!
So tired of the nay sayers.
thank you :D

polopoop

Postby polopoop » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:16 pm

oh yeah, to set it straight...the "Santa Barbara" coach that was there, to my knowledge hasn't been with SB for 2 years, The LAWP coach is new to the team this year, and the Mira Costa coach..which team does he fall under? SB, LA or Commerce?? BTW, the Commerce coach that "dropped by" on Sunday, who my daughter does not play for, but I have tremendous respect for, didn't talk to anyone, not a girl and not a Coach, so not sure what influence he had, and last time I checked, his girls are pretty awesome. Seriously, no offence intended, but this isn't AYSO and everyone doesn't get to play on the team.

SkipShot

Postby SkipShot » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:45 pm

Bravo Bravo! I'm sure when the final cut happens the best girls for the team will be chosen. Yeah yeah yeah.....so there was one LA Water Polo Coach out of the 3 on deck. And the Ex SB coach was the head Universtiy Of California @ Santa Barbara head coach who isn't affiliated with any of these clubs, the Santa Barbara water polo club included.
This could very well be one of the strongest zone teams ever chosen and I am sure they will represent us well. I think it is an honor just for our daughters to be in the same pool with these girls and to even be considered for this team! 8)

SkipShot

Postby SkipShot » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:54 pm

Oh I might add that LA Water club, Santa Barbara Water Polo Club and Commerce have consistantly produced the best womens water polo players in our area for years. I don't think anybody can reasonable argue with that. And if you think you can then you should also get your list to Santa sent off early!! :lol:

keepingitpolo

Postby keepingitpolo » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:53 am

Lets see, LA Polo Coach, one of the coaches judging, Santa Barbara based Coach (who has nothing to do with the Santa Barbara program I am quite sure) and the Commerce Coach on the deck (of course he said nothing to the other coaches), ok I believe you, it's all on the up and up and everyone had an even chance.

Waldo

Postby Waldo » Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:18 am

keepingitpolo wrote:Lets see, LA Polo Coach, one of the coaches judging, Santa Barbara based Coach (who has nothing to do with the Santa Barbara program I am quite sure) and the Commerce Coach on the deck (of course he said nothing to the other coaches), ok I believe you, it's all on the up and up and everyone had an even chance.

Just re-read your three posts in this thread... What kind of conspiracy theory sh** have you been smoking? Why not post some *facts* that support your distaste for the people and groups you sarcstically and negatively refer to. You seem to have joined this board just to whine on this thread. Are you cranky because someone close to you won't make the team? Many will not.

And... no, I'm not involved with the players, teams, or ODP selection process. Just disappointed with some of the BS being spewed...

pologod88

Postby pologod88 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:47 am

What level are you talking about Jr or youth??? I was at Jr's and there was no Commerce coach there.
And what would be the problem if a club coach was there supporting their players. Parents are there, right???

Get over this people!!! It's the same argument every single year. You're embarrassing your child!!

proudpop

Postby proudpop » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:54 am

I was with my daughter at the youth tryouts both day's and i never saw Gabriel there.

proudpop

Postby proudpop » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:02 am

And even if those club coaches you talk about were there, more power to them. The comitment the girls have to get so good playing the game they love is taught to them by there coach. These girls work hard.

polomama23

Postby polomama23 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:50 pm

My daughter tried out and was selected for the ODP Youth training team. I don't think she was on anyone's radar before the tryouts day, and didn't play for any of those elite clubs that was mentioned in a previous post bashing the whole tryouts process. I saw the ODP coaches assessing players all day on both days of the extensive tryouts (2 days in a row, 9 - 4 pm). Is somebody missed? Do girls not show up? Is there a preference for certain clubs? Is it rigged? I have no idea. I sure hope not!

I don't know the chances that my daughter will get selected for the travel team, but she is working hard, learning a lot and in the midst of some young talented polo players, whom will continue to up her game over the next year.

I couldn't be happier for this opportunity for her, or for any of the girls that made the teams. Good luck to all of them!

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:36 pm

Polomama, thank you very much for the positive report. It is very nice to hear something positive!

wpk

Postby wpk » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:40 pm

I heard the same thing about the girls Youth tryouts. Long and intense days, but a very impartial and fair assesment by two coaches who really enjoy working with the girls.

But heard that attendance at Junior tryouts was down based on some girls not trying out due to having a bad experience last year. They are very solid at the top with plenty of top talent, but if other girls dont think they have a fair shot at making the team, why pay the money to show up.

SkipShot

Postby SkipShot » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:05 am

For the experience and Knowledge of how the system works maybe and so that next Zone try outs you will have a better chance at being successful. Experience always helps.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:29 am

For the experience and Knowledge of how the system works maybe and so that next Zone try outs you will have a better chance at being successful. Experience always helps.

Skipshot is absolutely right. The experience playing against the best players in the area with top notch coaches for a day is invaluable for players especially at that age. If I could have done that in 1970 for only $100 (in 1970 dollars), I would have been there with bells on and thanked everyone for the chance.

Return to “USAWP Zones: California and West Coast”