ODP Regional

USA Water Polo Olympic Development Program
Beast
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan

ODP Regional

Postby Beast » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:13 pm

Does anyone have a link for the ODP rosters ?

Any predictions for the Regional championship next week ?

anythingpolo

Re: ODP Regional

Postby anythingpolo » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:00 am

I have one question.. Coastal Red won the 12 grade and under and 10 grade and under last year and the 12th grade team is the 2 seed behind So Pac. I know it does not really matter but have to give some credit to the Coastal boys.

On the prediction side, think the 12 grade Coastal team will again beat the So Pac team.

sashabucur
How are you connected to water polo?: played and coach now

Postby sashabucur » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:42 am

Not according to last year's Jo's. the top players and teams are sopac based. Doubt that coastal got the guns.

wpdad
How are you connected to water polo?: Parent of two players

Postby wpdad » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:55 pm

polofancalifornia
How are you connected to water polo?: fan

Postby polofancalifornia » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:22 pm

I've got to comment. I find, as many others do, ODP to be a complete joke, unless, I suppose, you are one of the chosen ones, ie have connections. The favoritism is so blatant it's ridiculous, and the coaching, at least in some areas and at some levels, is horrendous. Take a very talented kid, who clearly belongs on the red team, put him on the white team because he has zero connections, and he's on there with kids who frankly don't know how to play the game, and with a coach who barely knows what he's doing. There's pretty much nothing the very talented kid can do--he is in the water with 4-5 kids who can barely play, who don't pass him the ball, and when they do, they make absolutely terrible passes, (while one decent kid in the water, once he gets the ball, he Never passes the ball, he only shoots it). Put other, obviously less talented kids on the red team, solely because they do have connections (even if they profess not to, we all know better than that), and they are subs; they shouldn't be on that team, but they do fine, and don't particularly stand out as horrible. I know that life isn't fair, but this is just ridiculous. So corrupt, and we pay good money for it. We thought at least it would be a weekend well spent on playing time, even if he was on the wrong team. Boy, were we wrong. And I don't believe this will change. The corruption is from the top down. Key people are Still with the organization, if in different positions than before, and are Still calling all the shots. Players who are cut from the top roster on the first day of training suddenly appearing on the red rosters at the very end. Players who are on the top roster, deservedly so, all the way through training, suddenly cut at the end for no reason, after consistently being one of the best players throughout training. The coaches are told who to put on the rosters, period. And of course the kids who will go on past this weekend have already been determined--this weekend's play has Nothing to do with it, it's already a done deal. Corruption and politics at its finest. The real crime is that parents and players continue to put up with this corrupt organization. We, for one, will not. Never again.

t-furguson
How are you connected to water polo?: fan, former player

Postby t-furguson » Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:39 am

polofancalifornia - spot on. So next year instead of ODP, take your $1k payment and donate it to worthy cause. At least your money will go to good use and not to subsidize the travel of those chosen ones. Then, invest the same amount of time you did driving to all the ODP practices with your athlete in a non-water polo activity. You will be far more enriched. Oh, and when you kid schools the ODP 'star' at the next tournament/league match/HS game because your kid has actually had to work for his spot, it will be even more enjoyable. But try not to smile too broadly. That's what we did ......

Beast
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan

Postby Beast » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:54 pm

t-furguson wrote:polofancalifornia - spot on. So next year instead of ODP, take your $1k payment and donate it to worthy cause. At least your money will go to good use and not to subsidize the travel of those chosen ones. Then, invest the same amount of time you did driving to all the ODP practices with your athlete in a non-water polo activity. You will be far more enriched. Oh, and when you kid schools the ODP 'star' at the next tournament/league match/HS game because your kid has actually had to work for his spot, it will be even more enjoyable. But try not to smile too broadly. That's what we did ......

T-furguson

Fault belongs to ODP admin and coaches,,not the kids. So You encouraging the kids to "school the ODP star" and you think that's enjoyable ?? What if your kid gets schooled harder...I bet you would be grinding your teeth. Working hard for their spot is what they are suppose to do. Yes political favors do exist..but who is to blame on that ?

EMJ

Postby EMJ » Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:50 pm

ODP in its present form does not make the player and is not of any importance to many great players. ODP organizers can probably contribute more to the sport by being very honest to players about what it is and why it is important to them. Maybe once ODP gets past that, they can improve what they have.

Water polo is competing with a growing number of sports for a limited number of athletes and fans. It will either jump on the moving train now to provide better value to athletes and fans than the sports it competes with or it will die alongside the tracks. The only value in water polo today, is to have lots of fun and use it to get into college if you work at it hard enough. Making kids believe that if they come to ODP (in its present state) great things will happen, is irresponsible.

outside the box

Postby outside the box » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:40 am

Players/Parents do ODP for a Variety of reasons. Exposure and training for our family are the top two reasons. Exposure to different coaches and different players. Training at a higher level of play with stronger players was a key benefit this year for our player. For $700.00 we had 5 training/evaluation dates totaling 32 hours of quality training. In addition, 4 games of tournament play. Take away a typical tournament fee of $100.00, 2 nights in a hotel -$100.00 that leaves $500.00, which is about what a typical training camp would cost. For us, it is not a bad investment for what our player has received.

If you make the training selection team, it is an additional $1250. The value of that amount is directly related in how far your player goes-if they make the travel team-it's a heck of a deal. If not, then you probably might not think it's a good value.

For our family it works-and neither of our players were able to travel.

SOPAC 8th grade won fairly easily against PAC. Coastal Red easily beat PSW.
SOPAC 10th grade Red played SOPAC White for 1st and 2nd. PAC won in a close game against Coastal.
Coastal 12th grade beat SOPAC by 2.

waterpolofan400

Postby waterpolofan400 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:03 am

Out of the hundreds of kids that participate only a very few do not ultimately leave disappointed. This is a natural ending to a process that picks 32 or so players out of many. Opd by its very structure creates a lot more upset families and players than happy ones. I agree Odp is flawed but it can be a rewarding process and a great learning experience if you are not just looking to make the Olympics or a travel team.
Last edited by waterpolofan400 on Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wpdad
How are you connected to water polo?: Parent of two players

Postby wpdad » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:36 pm

Here is the roster for the SOPAC 10 th grade and under girls.

Sopac RED ("A Team")

1. Val Ayayla
2. Abby Blake
3. Maddie Damato
4. Hayley Evans
5. Jaleh Moaddeli
6. Bree Marmion
7. Maddy Parenteau
8. Tara Prentice
9. Sydney Preston
10. Natalie Selin
11. Elise Stein
12. Grace Thawley
13. Cameron Cordial
14. Morgan Jones

Sopac WHITE ("B Team")

1. Kaylee Brownsberger
2. Krysta Bass
4. Amy Castellano
5. Kalista Hyhem
6. Alexandra Jochim
7. Sarah Nichols
8. Skylar Pyle
9. Randi Reinhardt
10. Christina Reyes
11. Jessica Rodriguez
12. Lauren Smith
13. Savannah Clyde
14. Vittoria Rainone

Sopac BKUE ("C Team")

1. Meredith Arnett
2. Aminah Bharadia
3. Anna Borton
4. Marylynn Couzzo
5. Abigail Fricker
6. Lana Gorlisnki
7. Allison Long
8. Maria Ochoa
9. Ashlynn Page
10. Gabrielle Ritter
11. Samantha Sheldon
12. Hayden Stark
13. Hannah McCarley
14. Emily Skelly

fogofsport

Postby fogofsport » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:47 pm

Like any sport, if your kid is elite, he will play. If your a bubble player, you will eventually be weeded out.

Unknown
How are you connected to water polo?: ***

Postby Unknown » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:58 pm

fogofsport,

Exactly. And that is what ODP SHOULD be. It is NOT a developmental program, even though it advertises itself to be. Clubs develop players, not ODP. ODP is a selection process, and from what I saw the selection for training camps on the boys side was fairly accurate. There might have been few players that were left out that could have made it. However, it is much more likely that they were not selected because they did not perform when evaluated rather "corruption and politics".
Overall impression: Imperfect system, but well worth it.

polopolo123

Postby polopolo123 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:28 pm

I was at the UC Irvine pool on Sunday. 8th grade, 10th grade and 12th grade medal games were going on. The stands were full, a ton a USWP people, go play going on. How is that a bad thing? I saw after many of the games. Someone (Sean Nolan - Olympic Goalie, National Tech. person, or someone from USWP) would go over and talked to the teams when they finished their games. They gave good input. I believe the $700 dollars that one spends on the 5 training sessions and a tournament at the end. Is a much better deal then just a week long summer camp.

Also, I saw a few college coaches watching the 12th grade games at UCI.

I believe many people just like to complain.

JO Qual's (bad seeding, political) NJO's - (too big, too small, pool are bad, it's in NorCal they get all the calls, It's in Socal they get all the calls). ODP (too much, political, don't learn anything, clubs are better, etc).

I find it funny that many of the clubs that don't support ODP run big week long summer camps. Why run them? Make LOTS of Money? Interesting. What do they do at these camps? learn new skills, coached by another coach, get to play with other players, learn how to travel, etc. Sounds very much like ODP plus ODOP gives athletes a tournament at the end. So should we start bashing the week long water polo camps. No, they are another good way to improve your game.

ODP is a great program. Is it prefect? No. Are the improving the sport with this program? Yes.

Unknown
How are you connected to water polo?: ***

Postby Unknown » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:03 pm

Does anyone have the complete list of who made the selection camps?

Return to “Olympic Development Program”