ODP Regional

USA Water Polo Olympic Development Program
wpdad
How are you connected to water polo?: Parent of two players

Re: ODP Regional

Postby wpdad » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:17 pm

I cant speak for the boys but in the past with my son I felt that politics did play a roll in the selection process, but this year with the Girls 10 nth grade I felt Vicky Barker and her staff did an excellent job of evaluating the players. With 48 players to look at its a tough job to pick the top 14.
On the final day yesterday, they would call a break after each scrimmage session and have a meeting after which they would gather all of the 3 teams and and move some of the girls either up or down and do another round robin session. This happened 4 or 5 times during the day ending in a short session at the end with basically the bottom 6 girls on the A team playing the top 6 girls on the B team to give those girls one final chance to earn a spot on the A team just in cases they may have had a bad scrimmage earlier.
The coaching staff was very professional in explaining this process to the girls. I personally thought the explanation of what they were looking for was not who scored the most goals but who understands the ODP system of play, and who can play up to their full potential under the stress of playing for a position, or a championship game.

LimeyPoloDad
How are you connected to water polo?: Former player & coach, now a polo dad and referee.

Postby LimeyPoloDad » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:52 pm

Looks like they are revamping ODP.

http://usawaterpolo.org/genrel/031114aaa.html

Dear Water Polo Community,

In our first few months working together we've been tasked with the responsibility of evolving the current Olympic Development Program. We have taken into account a great amount of feedback from our community and combined that with the unique insight of our Senior National Team coaches, and we have a new approach to high performance for USA water polo. The goal of ODP 2.0 will be to provide greater access to resources, share knowledge, create more accessible entry points into the program, and collectively pool our talent at the zone level to develop athletes, coaches, and referees.

It is important to recognize that the development of our athletes begins at the club level. Athletes are developed with the immense amount of commitment and effort put in by their coaches at the club level. ODP exists to support the current club system, and work together with club and zone leadership to strengthen ODP as it evolves over the years. ODP 2.0 will work with the current club and ODP calendar to maintain a sustainable calendar. 2014-1015 dates will be published within the next few weeks.

Furthermore, ODP has been streamlined to provide access to a broader range of athletes. ODP 2.0 will offer two camps in each USAWP zone in the 2014-2015 season. These camps are open to ALL USAWP Gold athletes and will be priced at a fair and accessible point. Our National Team Staffs and Zone Head Coaches will administer these camps, and will be an opportunity for everyone to share knowledge and best practices.

The Zone Head Coaching Positions are currently posted online along with the job description (see below). We are looking for one person, per zone, per gender, to help administer and lead ODP in their zone. This person will work with local club and zone leadership to recruit and hire Zone Age Group Coaches to help work with the zone athletes. All USAWP coaches and referees will be invited to the camps as a free and open opportunity for professional development as well.

The ODP Zone Camps will be an opportunity for the Zone Coaches and National Team Staff to identify and select the top athletes in the zone for consideration for the Zone Team. Athletes will be required to attend one of the ODP Zone camps to be eligible for consideration. At the conclusion of the Zone Camps, the top 14 athletes in each age group (Youth, Cadet, Development) will be selected to train once more and then compete in the annual ODP National Championships. Larger zones will be granted more teams to serve their population, but the idea is to identify and gather the top athletes in the Zone to compete at the National Championship as a team. At this National Championship, athletes will then be selected to the National Team Selection Camps and from there our pipeline National Teams will be selected.

Finally, ODP will now offer more opportunities for USAWP members to develop. In the 2014-2015 ODP Season, we will offer ODP Positional Camps for Centers and Defenders, Goalies, and Attackers. These will be bonus opportunities for any USAWP athlete to come learn specific tips and skills that are being taught at the National Team Level. We will also begin to offer more Holiday Camps in conjunction with the United States Olympic Committee in Colorado Springs. These camps have historically been a unique opportunity for our athletes to be exposed to the Olympic movement in the USA, and leave inspired to better themselves in all aspects of life. None of these are requirements for being a part of ODP, but rather serve the purpose of sharing knowledge, resources, and collectively working together to advance our sport. ODP 2.0 will certainly not be the last evolvement of ODP.

The Olympic Development Program exists to identify and prepare athletes to represent USAWP in international competition; while exposing, educating, engaging and developing all USAWP athletes, coaches and referees to the vision of our Men's and Women's Senior National Team Coaches.

"Who", "What" and "How" this is executed will be constantly evolving through our collaboration as a community. The future of the ODP Zone Camps will continue to exist as the vehicle for which we can share knowledge, grow, and develop athletes, coaches and referees. Looking ahead, we can further grow the pool of athletes that we can select from if we've developed strong regionalized USAWP club competitions. We encourage everyone to continue to build your clubs in your region and work within your Zone and neighboring Zones to build meaningful regional competition that will be the showcase of your club athlete development. When this comes to fruition, these leagues can be used to identify the best athletes, coaches and referees for participation in the Olympic Development Program.

We are all dedicated to working with the entire USAWP community on the betterment of sport domestically and internationally.

Adam Krikorian, Women's Senior National Team Head Coach
Dejan Udovicic, Men's Senior National Team Head Coach
John Abdou, High Performance Director

jietoh
How are you connected to water polo?: Father of player

Postby jietoh » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:54 pm

At the conclusion of the Zone Camps, the top 14 athletes in each age group (Youth, Cadet, Development) will be selected to train once more and then compete in the annual ODP National Championships.

Does this mean ODP will switch from grade based to age based?

PoloNonooh
How are you connected to water polo?: Coach and Administrator

Postby PoloNonooh » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:37 pm

That is what it means. Originally when ODP started it when to 11th grade cause FINA had dropped the age of Juniors from 20 to 18. There were younger players, who were seniors in HS, that were getting left out of the mix. To solve the issue they moved it to 12th grade but any players that were going to age up (turn 19) in that particular summer could participate but were not actually selected to the junior team for training. You either got invited to train with the Senior National team or you were done. Now that FINA has moved the Junior age back to 20, it makes sense to go to age rather than grade, as all High School'ers will be eligible.

The next question will probably if JC players can participate if (players that are at a NCAA regulated school would not be able to participate (90% sure on that)) they meet the age requirement.

gonut
How are you connected to water polo?: fan

Postby gonut » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:57 pm

My son is out of the ODP pipeline and after having watched from the sidelines for several years I think its obvious the program has dramatically improved. I was at the girls tournament this weekend and there was a lot of good play, refs being taught how to ref a game and a lot of other positive developments. Really positive for the sport from my vantage point.

I think the question on mot peoples minds is what happens after this weekend. Our experience was that until now it was worth it -- the money and the training were reasonably well aligned. The addition of the tournament weekend is s a huge plus from where the program got started. The next training is where I think all the cynicism starts. All athletes selected to NTSC round up $1250 and donate that to USAWP for a weekend and most of them do not have a shot at moving past that point. In the years that my son participated it was obvious from the get go who had a shot at making it and who didn't and that was political -- if you played for certain teams your chances improved dramatically versus other less known ones. It kind of reminded me of little league baseball and if your dad was the coach you tended to play pitcher or shortstop. Sometimes it was almost comical how it worked out.

However, if you make the team (whether travel team or not) then ODP is worth it again -- for your $1250 you get a weekend of training (with travel paid for) and then 4 more days of high intensity training. For $1250 maybe a little high but worth it. That of course is for the kid that makes the team which is only 20 or so of the 75 in the age bracket.

It certainly isn't perfect but I have kids in other sports it to be honest it isn't all that much different or better in them. The point many posters have made directly or indirectly is that everyone needs to be a good consumer of the product that various groups are selling -- and USAWP, through ODP, is definitely selling a product.

oldtimer
How are you connected to water polo?: All of the above

Postby oldtimer » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:00 pm

One of the reasons I have heard from those who decided to put their kids into the program is 'visibility'. They think that being in ODP will get their kid 'noticed' by college coaches - which is why they are willing to spend the money. The reality is, of course, that this is likely not the case.

I have also commented in the past about the statement "The Olympic Development Program (ODP) is the pipeline from which all USA National Team members (Senior, Junior, Cadet and Development) are selected" (emphasis mine) - which gives the impression that the only way to get onto the Senior National Team is to participate in ODP. This statement seems almost criminal, because it is possible to be selected to the Senior NT without ever having participated in ODP.

After investigating ODP, I chose to not have my son participate. Instead, I have chosen to spend money each year sending him to several clinics run by a college coach (USC, UCLA, UCSB, UC Davis, Whittier, etc.). This way, he gets training that will serve him better in college - and he is *guaranteed* to be 'seen' by college coaches. I figure he has a greater chance of playing in college than he does playing on the national team at this point, so why not train for that?

FWIW, all three of my sons participated in an ODP program for archery. It was nothing at all like how USAWP handles it - but then, that isn't a team sport. In archery, they simply held a class each week at an archery range, and you could show up and pay a small fee whenever you wanted - no long term obligation. The instructor gave instruction for a couple of hours, critiqued form and gave advice on further practice and instruction.

dadonthedeck
How are you connected to water polo?: Dad, fan, walking ATM

Postby dadonthedeck » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:00 am

gonut wrote:However, if you make the team (whether travel team or not) then ODP is worth it again -- for your $1250 you get a weekend of training (with travel paid for) and then 4 more days of high intensity training. For $1250 maybe a little high but worth it.

Perhaps this was unintentionally worded – but I think any parent writing a $1250 check for the selection camp is cheating their kid out of one most durable skill-sets ODP teaches: FUND RAISING.

I am very impressed with the web porthole and support each player is provided to raise that money themselves. Some good life lessons there that extend well beyond water polo.

oldtimer

Postby oldtimer » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:43 am

dadonthedeck wrote:I am very impressed with the web porthole and support each player is provided to raise that money themselves. Some good life lessons there that extend well beyond water polo.

Portal (sorry, couldn't resist the correction)

Not sure how valuable fundraising is for most people. In my experience, unless one is working with a non-profit or trying to start up a new business venture there isn't much need for fundraising. Perhaps I am missing something important here?

dadonthedeck

Postby dadonthedeck » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:26 am

oldtimer wrote:Portal (sorry, couldn't resist the correction)

Thanks. My copy editor's been fired.

Not sure how valuable fundraising is for most people. In my experience, unless one is working with a non-profit or trying to start up a new business venture there isn't much need for fundraising. Perhaps I am missing something important here?

That's one way to look at it. Though I'd say startups and new business development are kindof a big deal...

I see lessons and conversations about PR, branding, marketing, copy writing, networking, goal-setting, responsibility, project management and more... Safe bet there will be life after water polo. The bigger their skill sets, the more options they'll have. But no need to quibble. For me and my family, the fundraising element of ODP has been a welcomed opportunity.

Reasonable minds may differ.

dadonthedeck

Postby dadonthedeck » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:12 pm

ODP Girl's Pacific Coast Championship Concludes In Northern California
NTSC Selections Announced
March 18, 2014

Huntington Beach, CA - March 18 - The ODP Girls Pacific Coast Regional Championships concluded this past weekend in the Northern California area. Champions were crowned at three different levels, including 8th, 10th, and 12th grade. In addition selections have been announced for the National Training & Selection Camp coming up this Memorial Day weekend. See below for final standings of the event and athlete selections for NTSC.

ODP Girls's Pacific Coast NTSC Selections (See Below)

12th Grade
1st: Sopac Red
2nd: Pacific Red
3rd: Coastal Red

All Tournament:
Kat Klass, Pacific (Top Player)
Carlee Kapana, Sopac (Top Goalie)
Devin Grab, Coastal
Alexis Lebowitz, Pacific
Mary Brooks, Central
Christiana Manzella, Sopac
Haley Wan, Sopac
Jordan Raney, Sopac

Top Coach:
Cat Arroyo, Pacific

Top Official:
Tolleen Santos, Central
David Riley, Coastal

10th Grade
1st: Coastal Red
2nd: Sopac Red
3rd: Sopac White

All Tournament:
Paige Hauschild (Top Player)
Emalia Eichelberger, Hawaii
Nicole Espinoza, Coastal
Valerie Ayala, Sopac
MJ Johnston, Pacific
Grace Thawley, Sopac
Emily Bennett, Central
Abaigael Blake, Sopac

Top Coaches:
Julie Snodgrass, Coastal

8th Grade
1st: Sopac Red
2nd: Pacific Red
3rd: Sopac Blue

All Tournament:
Julia Rozolis-Hill, Sopac (Top Player)
Sydney Hurst, Coastal
Maddie Stamen, Sopac
Ava Johnson, Pacific
Jewel Romer, Pacific
Jessica Lynch, Sopac
Hannah Constandse, Sopac

Top Coach:
Nicole Maichrowicz, Coastal

ODP Girls's Pacific Coast NTSC Selections

12th grade
Brooks Mary CEN
Reggo Grace CEN
Stender Shelby CEN
Guinn Aelish CEN
Gudmundsson Dagmar CEN
Grab Devin CST
Adkins Hilary CST
Kutt Anne CST
Stefan Sophia CST
Garabet Sabrina CST
Bilaver Ivanna CST
Woo Alison CST
Ramirez Mardell CST
Kelleher Lindsey CST
Van Brande Helena CST
Longan Amanda CST
Karl Ellie-Ann CST
Flores-Loya Samantha Sky CST
Kauhi Madison HAW
Eichenberger Emilia HAW
Liebowitz Alexis PAC
Buck Hannah PAC
Hong Kristen PAC
Preston Brooke PAC
Draper Tessa PAC
Batcheller Courtney PAC
Seidemann Natalie PAC
Mladgov Samantha PAC
Jensen Annika PAC
Johnson Kimberly PAC
Klass Kat PAC
Reynolds Nicole PAC
Tagg Madison PAC
Avalos Kacey SPA
Daboub Brianna SPA
Sanchez Maddy SPA
Wan Haley SPA
Giery Kelly SPA
Tyler Kelsey SPA
Konishi Emily SPA
Angermund Alexis SPA
McCutcheon Amber SPA
Schilling Chanel SPA
Blubaugh Sydney SPA
Borkovec Cara SPA
Raney Jordan SPA
Whitelegge Rachel SPA
Constandse Kayla SPA
Manzella Cana SPA
Fischer Aria SPA
Kapana Carlee SPA
Parker Holly SPA

10th grade
Bennet Emily CEN
Butler Madasonne CEN
Elgin Kathryn CEN
Martin McKenna CEN
Schafle Kathleen CEN
Snyder Sarah CEN
Stolkin Emily CEN
Van Dynze Kinsey CEN
Golding Caitlin CEN
Sturm Katrina CEN
Abarta Megan CST
Bellville Sawyer CST
Bogle Georgia CST
Dallaku Esma CST
Espinoza Nicole CST
Hauschild Paige CST
Holcomb Devin CST
Hurst Jenna CST
Kimberling Jessica CST
Legaspi Amanda CST
Taylor Audrey CST
Woo Colleen CST
Bosque Peyton HAW
Jensen Kari PAC
Johnston MJ PAC
Koshy Malaika PAC
Loggins Madeline PAC
Mayall Emma PAC
Pendolino Madeline PAC
Price Olivia PAC
Rajaratnam Anna PAC
Tovani Sammi PAC
Webb Marissa PAC
Davey MacKenzie PSW
Torres Samantha PSW
Edwards Hannah PSW
Ayala Valerie SPA
Baldridge Bella SPA
Blake Abaigeal SPA
Cousineau Alaina SPA
Damato Madalyn SPA
Hyham Kalista SPA
Lynton Delayne SPA
Parenteau Madison SPA
Prentice Tara SPA
Rodriguez Jessica SPA
Reyes Christina SPA
Salvini Mia SPA
Selin Natalie SPA
Thawley Grace SPA
Clyde Savannah SPA
Cordial Cameron SPA
Jones Morgan SPA

8th Grade
Fraipont Genevieve CST
Hurst Sydney CST
Maine Holly CST
McCullough Kathryn CST
Imbernino Mia CST
Williams Rylee CST
Carlson Hayden CST
Erickson Brianna CST
Brown Kailey CST
Lynch Jessica SPA
Vincent Madelyn SPA
Kresich Nicole SPA
Hutton Jamie SPA
Rozolis-Hill Julia SPA
Constandse Hannah SPA
Stamen Madison SPA
Walsh Thea SPA
Harbias Chloe SPA
Wijnbelt Noelle SPA
Higginson Victoria SPA
Tharpe Erin SPA
Leckich Jessica SPA
Lucas Sophia SPA
Riches Isabel SPA
Tingler Evan SPA
Hyham Marina SPA
Coval Amy PSW
Larkin Laura PSW
Greeven Sarah PSW
Broad Carson PAC
Tehaney Grace PAC
Halvorson Drew PAC
Trujillo Jolie PAC
Roemer Jewel PAC
Neustrom Erin PAC
Drake Katrina PAC
Johnson Ava PAC
Savar Skylar PAC
Nelson Shelby PAC
Jones Skyler PAC
Russell Camille PAC
Chung Minhee PAC
Banks Zoe PAC
Davis Madison PAC
Warhover Avery CEN
Williams Hailey CEN
Tapio Emily CEN
Brown Scout CEN
Jansen Kylee CEN
Reese Oliver CEN
Derick Laakea HI
Kauahi Danielle HI

gonut
How are you connected to water polo?: fan

Postby gonut » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:01 am

dadonthedeck wrote:
gonut wrote:However, if you make the team (whether travel team or not) then ODP is worth it again -- for your $1250 you get a weekend of training (with travel paid for) and then 4 more days of high intensity training. For $1250 maybe a little high but worth it.

Perhaps this was unintentionally worded – but I think any parent writing a $1250 check for the selection camp is cheating their kid out of one most durable skill-sets ODP teaches: FUND RAISING.

I am very impressed with the web porthole and support each player is provided to raise that money themselves. Some good life lessons there that extend well beyond water polo.

sorry -- not unintentionally worded at all, we supported the fundraising concept the first year and then saw how the program was run and wouldn't allow him to ask friends and family again. Interesting use of the word "cheating" though since I would argue that's what USAWP is doing to the 30 - 40 kids per age group who fund raise and get very little for it.

keepingitpolo

Postby keepingitpolo » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:45 am

Dangle some tee shirts and bragging rights in front of parents and... $200,000, not a bad scam

oldtimer

Postby oldtimer » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:54 am

keepingitpolo wrote:Dangle some tee shirts and bragging rights in front of parents and... $200,000, not a bad scam

There are 11 zones, yes? So that's more like $2,000,000... if I have that right.

Polodad63
How are you connected to water polo?: Parent, fan, father of 3 boys

Postby Polodad63 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:22 pm

Girls- 3 age groups x 40 x 1250 = 150,000 x 11 divisions = 1,650,000 x 2 for boys= 3,300,000 That's for the players and parents that make the cut. Reminder there was a 700.00$ evaluation fee, were there was over 100 players trying out in 3 girls age groups x 100 x 700 = 210,000 x 11 divisions = 2,310,000 x 2 for boys = 4,620,000. Thats were they make there BIG money. Grand Total = 7,920,000

PoloNonooh
How are you connected to water polo?: Coach and Administrator

Postby PoloNonooh » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:23 pm

Polodad63 I think your numbers are a bit flawed. You are assuming that the participation in all 11 zones is equal to that of the top 3 or 4. For the most part, aside from pacific, sopac and coastal, participation is very weak in ODP. Many times players are pulled from the top three zones to fill out teams from the other 8 at the regional tourneys.

But in that USAWP is a non-profit, they have to publish their financials every year. I am sure if to want spend hours trying to wade through the USAWP web site you can find the financials for 2013 and it will give you a bettor picture of what kind of money they make on ODP.

Return to “Olympic Development Program”