Partying at ODP Training

USA Water Polo Olympic Development Program
Hareyballs
How are you connected to water polo?: Lover of the sport

Partying at ODP Training

Postby Hareyballs » Sat May 24, 2014 12:16 am

OK, I see a few names. Let's see what USAWP does. What happen to my first posting?
Last edited by Hareyballs on Fri May 30, 2014 10:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dadonthedeck
How are you connected to water polo?: Dad, fan, walking ATM

Re: Partying at ODP Training

Postby dadonthedeck » Sat May 24, 2014 11:02 am

Hareyballs wrote:There were several boys that skipped out of their rooms one night at ODP [...] and went to a party, then came back the next morning...

What event are you talking about? NTSC just started last night...

Yellowcard
How are you connected to water polo?: Kids play,

Postby Yellowcard » Sat May 24, 2014 1:01 pm

I
Last edited by Yellowcard on Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I love chair
How are you connected to water polo?: I love chair

Postby I love chair » Sat May 24, 2014 1:03 pm

To be completely honest, regardless if these kids went out or not, who cares? As long as they don't get hurt or in trouble it isn't a big deal. And being that I have gone on many travel trips for water polo and other sports, I can guarantee you that this stuff happens a lot more once the kids get older. If they aren't your kids, then it isnt't your problem to worry about. And if they are your kid, look them in the face and ask instead of nosing around on a computer.

ephpolo
How are you connected to water polo?: Ex-player, Ex-coach, referee

Postby ephpolo » Tue May 27, 2014 10:10 pm

I am shocked--shocked!--to hear that high school athletes may have broken curfew.

Seriously, if you have information about this and are legitimately concerned about the athletes' safety, you should have already reported this to someone who can do something about it.

Thesita

Postby Thesita » Tue May 27, 2014 11:19 pm

Take a team to the Hawaii tourny!! Young or old. I went 3 years in high school. 1 after as an adult. And one as a coach after that. It was fun. Travel is fun and the smart kids gain more than you would think.

Torchbearer

Postby Torchbearer » Wed May 28, 2014 1:23 pm

Not sure how traveling to Hawaii meshes with the partying topic, but did you know it was 40 years ago, in 1974, that some of us talked the Hawaiians into adding a women's category to their summer invitational? Charlie Dwight was head of the Hawaiian water polo contingent, and he made it possible. I, as coach as the Asheville, NC, YMCA girls team, flew from Asheville with a team of nine teenaged girls to Fresno for the Women's Senior Nationals, hosted by Flip Hassett, and then we flew onward to Honolulu. Our girls defeated the two Hawaiian women's teams, led by goalie Susan Nishioka, by 6-1 and 11-1. But we lost the championship game to an all-star squad from southern California, 6-4. Our Y girls traveled all over the U.S. and to Canada in the '70s, and as Thesita says, each trip was an education in itself.

minnow
How are you connected to water polo?: fan

Postby minnow » Wed May 28, 2014 4:07 pm

Didn't this happen a few years ago with a few players who had signed to go to CAL? It seems to me the story was that they were at ODP try outs and the kids were partying in their rooms while the parents were in the bar. As I remember the players who had signed either lost their scholarships or they had to defer a year.

ephpolo
How are you connected to water polo?: Ex-player, Ex-coach, referee

Postby ephpolo » Thu May 29, 2014 1:49 pm

What happened to the parents?

Sorry to be snarky, but if the parents are hanging around in the bar, it seems difficult to convey to the kids that drinking is a serious breach. Monkey see, monkey do.

Hareyballs

Postby Hareyballs » Fri May 30, 2014 10:40 pm

Yellowcard wrote:I guess "Hareyballs" kid got cut from ODP and now wants the coached fired. lol...Get a life

Sorry to disappoint, did yours?

Hareyballs

Postby Hareyballs » Fri May 30, 2014 10:42 pm

dadonthedeck wrote:
Hareyballs wrote:There were several boys that skipped out of their rooms one night at ODP [...] and went to a party, then came back the next morning...

What event are you talking about? NTSC just started last night...

No, in my first posting, that is now missing said, it was the southern Cali camp back around March or April.
Last edited by Hareyballs on Sat May 31, 2014 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hareyballs

Postby Hareyballs » Fri May 30, 2014 10:47 pm

I love chair wrote:To be completely honest, regardless if these kids went out or not, who cares? As long as they don't get hurt or in trouble it isn't a big deal. And being that I have gone on many travel trips for water polo and other sports, I can guarantee you that this stuff happens a lot more once the kids get older. If they aren't your kids, then it isnt't your problem to worry about. And if they are your kid, look them in the face and ask instead of nosing around on a computer.
Who cares? I care. I'm sure most OPD parents, coaches and USAWP staff care. You must be one of those types of parents that condones under age drinking, driving, and putting a program like ODP into jeopardy. Someday, you, "I Love The Chair" won't be buying your kids way out of trouble, you'll be buying him a coffin. You should reconsider your priorities.

Hareyballs

Postby Hareyballs » Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:54 pm

ephpolo wrote:What happened to the parents?

Sorry to be snarky, but if the parents are hanging around in the bar, it seems difficult to convey to the kids that drinking is a serious breach. Monkey see, monkey do.
I'm sorry but the "monkey see, monkey do" carries no relevance. Good parents teach their children well, to make smart decisions. Now if this was the coaching staff that was doing this or allowing it, that would be a different story. The smart kids did the "monkey see, monkey do" and followed the see and do of ODP and staff.

Return to “Olympic Development Program”