Academy?

USA Water Polo Olympic Development Program
Allstar21
How are you connected to water polo?: Player

Academy?

Postby Allstar21 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:15 pm

Could someone please explain (to the best of your knowledge) what the ODP Academy is?

Inside Water
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan

Re: Academy?

Postby Inside Water » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:40 pm

From the Age group page:

The "Academy Roster" is a group of players selected by John Abdou back in September to receive special training with the Senior national team, participate in international competitions and compete in National League. They are also going to be the team participating in FINA Youth World games in Budva, Montenegro this summer.

Ben Hallock - Harvard Westlake / Bruin
Quinten Osborne - Huntington Beach / Vanguard
Miles Cole - San Marcos / Santa Barbara Premier
Warren Loth - Mater Dei / Regency
Matt Meier - Damian / Foothill WPC
Dylan Woodhead - Drake / Sleepy Hollow
Jake Ehrhardt - Oaks Christian / Pride
Duncan Creed - Miramonte / Lamorinda
Patrick Saunders - Huntington Beach / Vanguard
Sam Krutonog - Harvard Westlake / LA Premier
Hannes Daube - Orange Lutheran / Northwood
Jacob Cavano - Huntington Beach / Vanguard
Marko Vavic - Loyola / Trojan
Dennis Blyashov - Cathedral Catholic / Del Mar
Bennett Williams - Dana Hills / OCWPC
Thomas Dunstan - Mater Dei / Regency
Ash Molthen - Orange Lutheran / Northwood
Chase Travisano - Damian / Foothill WPC

I believe added later:
Felix Brozyna-Vilim - Harvard Westlake / LA Premier
Sam Murphy - Davis

It's not published anywhere.

2plyBathingSuit
How are you connected to water polo?: I personally played in High School and College.
Love the sport.

Postby 2plyBathingSuit » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:21 pm

With the exception of a few (obvious) outliers already mentioned in other posts…the Academy Team is only for those individuals who "look the part". Then, ODP hopes your tremendous size will translate into great playing ability at some point later on.

2plyBathingSuit
How are you connected to water polo?: I personally played in High School and College.
Love the sport.

Postby 2plyBathingSuit » Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:32 pm

Also, the "Academy Team" was essentially assembled early last year before the fall ODP events commenced. Why on earth would the remaining group of 204 Youth participants continue on in ODP? I guess it's called "hope of making it into the elite group". After all, two (2) late comers were added to the mix. Felix and Sam got to be included even though they were fashionably late to the party.

dadonthedeck
How are you connected to water polo?: Dad, fan, walking ATM

Postby dadonthedeck » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:21 pm

2plyBathingSuit wrote:With the exception of a few (obvious) outliers already mentioned in other posts…the Academy Team is only for those individuals who "look the part".

I think you are misinformed.

Dear National Team Pipeline Athlete,

This letter is to invite you to the inaugural Olympic Development Program Academy. Congratulations on your selection. After much discussion and deliberation with our Senior National Team and Pipeline coaches, we have created the ODP Academy to strengthen the continued development of athletes that have been involved in ODP and performed admirably in the prior season. Rather than asking you to return to the local ODP Zone camps, we have selected you to train with the Academy through the ODP National Championships. Based on evaluations from our National Team Coaches only select athletes are receiving this invitation, not all pipeline athletes are receiving invitations. This inaugural academy is another step in ensuring our potential future Olympians receive year-round training and instruction from the top of the pipeline.

Allstar21

Postby Allstar21 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:51 pm

So.... Why should any athlete of the youth age participate in ODP anymore... Seems like very bad planning on USAWP's part to have decided teams before the tryout even begins. Surely, people will hear about this as I have and questioned the worth of ODP.
Thoughts on this Academy's worth/drawbacks?

dadonthedeck
How are you connected to water polo?: Dad, fan, walking ATM

Postby dadonthedeck » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:48 am

Allstar21 wrote:Thoughts on this Academy's worth/drawbacks?

If a player's already in the system and eval'd well enough to be invited, academy shortcuts the bunny hill stuff and moves them straight to the diamond slopes. Skipping all the redundant drills and eval is a very welcomed change.

Unknown
How are you connected to water polo?: ***

Postby Unknown » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:07 am

It's a phenomenal thing for the future of US national team. Biggest problem with the previous coach / system is that it did not at all involve youngers. Bonnani, Bowen, Obert, Samuels, Walters(RIP) etc. etc. got zero exposure to the senior national team in 2011 / 2012, even though they were on the junior team. All of these guys will be key players in 2016 Olympics. In my opinion, this one of the biggest reasons that the US is currently lagging behind.
Regardless what parents of athletes who were not invited think, these are the best / potentially best players in the country. And yes they tend to be tall, but I don't see very many that are good but not on this list.

2plyBathingSuit
Love the sport.

Postby 2plyBathingSuit » Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:45 am

Unknown wrote:All of these guys will be key players in 2016 Olympics.

Um…I don't think so…not even Hallock or Dunstan will be ready for the 2016 Olympics this year. I could go through the list and give my opinion on why some of these individuals won't be making the Olympic team anytime soon (if ever)…but, I don't think that would be fair to them since they are not here to defend themselves. There are many obstacles in the way of Olympic "hopefuls". It's much more difficult then simply being a tall good player. First, you must deal with life, school and training. After all that's done…then you need to make sure that all the planets are in perfect alignment and/or you are one of the coach's favorite for that particular Olympic year cycle. So, with all that said, good luck and I'll just leave it up to Dejan to figure it out for himself…if he's still around after the 2016 Olympics.

dzeep
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan

Postby dzeep » Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:48 am

List was started early 2015, and "finalized " Sept 2015...

Why isn't JOHNNY HOOPER on this list....?

2plyBathingSuit
Love the sport.

Postby 2plyBathingSuit » Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:58 am

dzeep wrote:Why isn't JOHNNY HOOPER on this list....?

It's been said before, so I'll say it again…he isn't tall enough.

Unknown

Postby Unknown » Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:16 am

2plyBathingSuit wrote:
Unknown wrote:All of these guys will be key players in 2016 Olympics.

Um…I don't think so…not even Hallock or Dunstan will be ready for the 2016 Olympics this year. I could go through the list and give my opinion on why some of these individuals won't be making the Olympic team anytime soon (if ever)…but, I don't think that would be fair to them since they are not here to defend themselves. There are many obstacles in the way of Olympic "hopefuls". It's much more difficult then simply being a tall good player. First, you must deal with life, school and training. After all that's done…then you need to make sure that all the planets are in perfect alignment and/or you are one of the coach's favorite for that particular Olympic year cycle. So, with all that said, good luck and I'll just leave it up to Dejan to figure it out for himself…if he's still around after the 2016 Olympics.

I was talking about Bonnani, Bowen, Obert and few other guys who just graduated college, were on the junior national team in 2011/2012 and were never even looked at by previous coach.

Unknown

Postby Unknown » Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:22 am

dzeep wrote:List was started early 2015, and "finalized " Sept 2015...

Why isn't JOHNNY HOOPER on this list....?

All these guys are high school players. Hooper is not.
Why is he not on some other "list"? Don't know. I am not the coach.
Do I think he should be given a chance? Sure.
However, that has nothing to do with this junior team(plus few others) having extra training.

2plyBathingSuit
Love the sport.

Postby 2plyBathingSuit » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:49 am

There are several players on this "Academy List" that are technically no longer HS players…they will be in college this fall. Hallock, Dunstan, Meier and Williams. Also, I'm not "the coach either"…but I'm telling you,…Hooper isn't on any ODP list because he isn't tall enough even though he can swim circles around many of these Sasquatch's. As far as me being misinformed as dadonthedeck suggests…please answer the question Allstar21 posed to you. I think we all get why the chosen few get to skip the bunny hill stuff…but what about all those other dopes in the youth group…what's the point in paying all that money continuing on if the "elite" group has already been selected before you've even started?

Allstar21

Postby Allstar21 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:58 pm

Yes, my question was not about whether or not we should have this Academy team ( I know many of these players and they are all very deserving of this honor), my question was (and I guess I didn't explain it succinctly enough), why should the youth ODP program continue if they have already decided the teams? I agree with the coaches decisions that these players here are the best (or have the potential to become the best), it just seems strange to have decided teams and then have tryouts for the teams that you already have decided.

Return to “Olympic Development Program”