ODP Development Camps | SoPac & Coastal zones

USA Water Polo Olympic Development Program
dzeep
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan

ODP Development Camps | SoPac & Coastal zones

Postby dzeep » Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:35 am

Both zones' ODP camps took place today for Development group.

John Mann at Sopac, Kocur and Jessie Smith at Coastal...

Anyone care to discuss, comment, etc....

Rbpolo0414

Re: ODP Development Camps | SoPac & Coastal zones

Postby Rbpolo0414 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:28 am

Hopefully they put up a sign out front that says "If you are not tall, need not apply", happy to take your check though.

2plyBathingSuit
How are you connected to water polo?: I personally played in High School and College.
Love the sport.

Postby 2plyBathingSuit » Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:50 pm

Rbpolo0414 wrote:Hopefully they put up a sign out front that says "If you are not tall, need not apply", happy to take your check though.

Also, I received an e-mail from ODP stating that those who were born in 1999 and currently a senior in high school...need not apply. I know of some really awesome players that fall into this category. Does this mean they are excluded from participating this year? Additionally, I wonder if HW and MD players are choosing to sit ODP out again?

sasabucur
How are you connected to water polo?: Player, coach, and fan. Love to see our game grow.

Postby sasabucur » Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:54 am

I coached ODP Coastal for 2003 and younger. Many kids in very high temperature with lots of spirit and lots of smiles. Many kids are there to learn and compare themselves with other kids. I think it is a necessary process for that age. As a coach I can tell them what to focus on and how to get better.

Jesse Smith was a hoot and I think the kids truly loved interacting with him. He has an undeniable love for the game and he was really fun with the kids. I had a 2005 kid score on 2003 kids and kids who are still learning the game. But from my perspective I saw many kids with tired looks but a smile on their faces and a sparkle in their eyes. That is why I coach ODP!

dzeep

Postby dzeep » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:39 am

sasabucur wrote:I coached ODP Coastal for 2003 and younger. Many kids in very high temperature with lots of spirit and lots of smiles. Many kids are there to learn and compare themselves with other kids. I think it is a necessary process for that age. As a coach I can tell them what to focus on and how to get better.

Jesse Smith was a hoot and I think the kids truly loved interacting with him. He has an undeniable love for the game and he was really fun with the kids. I had a 2005 kid score on 2003 kids and kids who are still learning the game. But from my perspective I saw many kids with tired looks but a smile on their faces and a sparkle in their eyes. That is why I coach ODP!

Thank you for letting us know. Many appreciate the time, effort all ODP coaches put in. ODP not perfect, but lot better than doing nothing imho, especially with kids in 10-13 age group

ramman
How are you connected to water polo?: coach

Postby ramman » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:50 am

Rbpolo0414 wrote:Hopefully they put up a sign out front that says "If you are not tall, need not apply", happy to take your check though.

I would change your statement just a bit. At the younger ODP classes Sasa is correct that many of those little kids have a great time and fall in love with the sport. They won't realize their sport won't love them back until they are older and realize the discrimination they will face no matter how good they are if they are not tall. The sign should read, "note to parents: if you are short, your kids will be too. We will make these sessions so fun your child will fall in love with the sport, but then later as he doesn't grow he will be set up for discrimination for his size throughout his playing career, we are still happy to take your check though."

Rbpolo0414

Postby Rbpolo0414 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:28 am

ramman wrote:

I would change your statement just a bit. At the younger ODP classes Sasa is correct that many of those little kids have a great time and fall in love with the sport. They won't realize their sport won't love them back until they are older and realize the discrimination they will face no matter how good they are if they are not tall. The sign should read, "note to parents: if you are short, your kids will be too. We will make these sessions so fun your child will fall in love with the sport, but then later as he doesn't grow he will be set up for discrimination for his size throughout his playing career, we are still happy to take your check though."

That works. Look, I agree it is good for the younger kids, and I'm sure it makes them feel good. The good news is, you can still play at one of the top programs, even if you are short. There are under 6 foot guys littered all over big 4 rosters. So no need to be discouraged, but with this Olympic coach, you might be once you hit high school.

Return to “Olympic Development Program”