ODP Questions

USA Water Polo Olympic Development Program
Polodad67
How are you connected to water polo?: Player, former official, now a dad and a fan

ODP Questions

Postby Polodad67 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:45 pm

Hello all,

I just had some quick questions about ODP and I was hoping to get them answered before I signed up my younger son for the camps.

How is the age group selection work as Ive heard its year based instead of the JO's cutoff date?
Do all Age groups have a zone team selection followed by national team selection? his age is 8/27/2004
Is it required to attend both camp dates to be able to get picked for the zone team?

Thanks in advance for the help!

dadonthedeck
How are you connected to water polo?: Dad, fan, walking ATM

Re: ODP Questions

Postby dadonthedeck » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:42 pm

I believe your questions are addressed in the ODP manual. Download link is here: http://www.usawaterpolo.org/odp/

That's where I found... "Athletes can attend their own local zone camp or attend in other zones if desired, but must attend at least one camp in their USAWP registered zone to be considered for zone team selection." (Emphasis mine.)

Some here have pointed to ODP (and player selection) as political. I don't know their experiences. My characterization leans toward treating it as if your kid's applying for a job or trying for a part in a school play. If they really WANT to make the team, they'll put their best foot forward, stay motivated, work hard, pay attention and do what they can to get noticed in a positive light. If this is your kid's first time, chances are the coaches won't know them. So doing two camps instead of one gives them twice as much time to make an impression. If that's something you/your player think is important, I say do both zone camps. Once your player makes the cut for the selection camp and hopefully gets chosen for the national team, then maybe next year is the time to do only one camp... After they are "known". Before that you gotta ask – how many other players want this more?

We started out doing both zone camps and taking the attitude it would be worth the fees just for the training and new coaches. My kid did three years of ODP and made the team each time. No regrets from this family.

Natascot
How are you connected to water polo?: Father of a high school player

Re: ODP Questions

Postby Natascot » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:53 am

I agree with Dadonthedeck that you should enter your son in both camps in his first year of trying for ODP to increase his exposure and the chance he gets selected. Unless he's a true standout for his age group, the coaches making selections won't know him (unless your son's club coach is one of the zone coaches) and may only see snippets of his play during the camp.

Do all Age groups have a zone team selection followed by national team selection? his age is 8/27/2004

Yes. All age groups will make their zone team selections and have two practices together before they compete at the ODP National Championships (in February?). After the ODP Nat'l Championships, the national teams will be selected for each of the three age groups. For the national team, the vast majority of players will be from CA; but, they always include some other kids from other regions in order to help grow the sport. So, 8-10 will be from CA, while 2-4 will be from other regions.

Return to “Olympic Development Program”