2018 USWP ODP Regional Championship tournament

USA Water Polo Olympic Development Program
waterballer
Posts: 151
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:20 am
How are you connected to water polo?: observer, veteran

2018 USWP ODP Regional Championship tournament

Postby waterballer » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:03 am

So the US ODP regional championships just wrapped up this weekend in Pleasanton California. Each designated zone in United States squared off against each other in each prospective age group below. Hats off to some into all the hard work the kids, coaches, parenta, and staff put into it to make it a great tournament. In all 1/2 categories. I say 1/2 because there was kind of an odd quasi exhibition for older age groups, called ALL STARS.

Birth year
Developmental 2005, 2006
Cadet 2003, 2004
Youth 2001, 2002

I am curious to hear from those who were there what they have to say about he tournament?

ebb&flow
Posts: 255
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 1:01 am
How are you connected to water polo?: fan, parent, rec player

Re: 2018 USWP ODP Regional Championship tournament

Postby ebb&flow » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:24 am

Development is 2004 & under Head Coach Drew Clute
Cadet is 2003 & under Head Coach Nikola Malezanov
Youth is 2000 & under Head Coach Brett Ormsby

Born in 2000 are eligible to play in both UANA Junior Championships and FINA Men's Youth World Championships.

WaPoSaD
Posts: 191
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:15 pm
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan

Re: 2018 USWP ODP Regional Championship tournament

Postby WaPoSaD » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:57 am

I was happy to see some great results from the non-OC age group teams. The Central zone team (Sacramento etc.) did well; Bronze in Youth (after winning Gold last year) and fourth in Cadet. The Pacific Southwest zone (San Diego) had extraordinary teams; Silver in Youth — an overtime golden goal loss — and Gold in Cadet. Super impressive. Even the Northeast team replicated last year’s fourth place in Development.

Great to see some degree of geographic breadth of talent. Though the Pacific zone (SF) also did well (Gold Youth, Bronze Cadet, fifth Development), and the Southern Pacific zone (OC) — fourth Youth, Silver Cadet, and Gold Development — was strong as usual. Good to see some great play there too. The Coastal zone (LA) did well in Development (Silver and Bronze) but was fifth in Cadet and Youth.

One side note: The zone coaches seemed extraordinarily restrained in all the medal games at SRV. No yelling at refs or players. That was decidedly different than in many of the first-day or non-medal matches involving the same coaches. It’s interesting how a broader audience (Olympians, other coaches, etc.) may influence coaches to “play nice”. Or at least be more restrained. (Sometimes)

Polo4ever
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:20 am
How are you connected to water polo?: Coach/fan

Re: 2018 USWP ODP Regional Championship tournament

Postby Polo4ever » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:11 am

WaPoSaD wrote:I was happy to see some great results from the non-OC age group teams. The Central zone team (Sacramento etc.) did well; Bronze in Youth (after winning Gold last year) and fourth in Cadet. The Pacific Southwest zone (San Diego) had extraordinary teams; Silver in Youth — an overtime golden goal loss — and Gold in Cadet. Super impressive. Even the Northeast team replicated last year’s fourth place in Development.

Great to see some degree of geographic breadth of talent. Though the Pacific zone (SF) also did well (Gold Youth, Bronze Cadet, fifth Development), and the Southern Pacific zone (OC) — fourth Youth, Silver Cadet, and Gold Development — was strong as usual. Good to see some great play there too. The Coastal zone (LA) did well in Development (Silver and Bronze) but was fifth in Cadet and Youth.

One side note: The zone coaches seemed extraordinarily restrained in all the medal games at SRV. No yelling at refs or players. That was decidedly different than in many of the first-day or non-medal matches involving the same coaches. It’s interesting how a broader audience (Olympians, other coaches, etc.) may influence coaches to “play nice”. Or at least be more restrained. (Sometimes)


The score posted on the ODP site for the youth bronze game is wrong...SoPac Red beat Central 8-6.

And the end of the youth finals did get some words from the PSW coach to the refs when the was a no call at the end of regulation (1 second left) on an obvious missed 5 meter call. A PSW player made a nice cross pass to the center for an tip in but the center was being held (creating a “chicken wing”) while trying leg up for the tip in. Great game though...PSW was down 5 at one point. PAC Red had a lot of talent.

waterballer
Posts: 151
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:20 am
How are you connected to water polo?: observer, veteran

Re: 2018 USWP ODP Regional Championship tournament

Postby waterballer » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:58 am

SoPac and Pacific have strong Zones. PSW San Diego historically not quite as deep. I would have thought SoPac and Pacific in the finals with both those zones able to post up two teams, not just one. Interesting, always good for USAWP to have talent emerge from ALL zones. Wow, Gold medal game Must have been a thriller. So who knocked SoPac out of the finals, Pacific or PSW? What was that like?

Polo4ever
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:20 am
How are you connected to water polo?: Coach/fan

Re: 2018 USWP ODP Regional Championship tournament

Postby Polo4ever » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:12 pm

waterballer wrote:SoPac and Pacific have strong Zones. PSW San Diego historically not quite as deep. I would have thought SoPac and Pacific in the finals with both those zones able to post up two teams, not just one. Interesting, always good for USAWP to have talent emerge from ALL zones. Wow, Gold medal game Must have been a thriller. So who knocked SoPac out of the finals, Pacific or PSW? What was that like?



PSW 9-8. PSW also beat Pacific Red 11-9 in bracket play, so they appear legit.

User avatar
2plyBathingSuit
Posts: 1907
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:54 pm
How are you connected to water polo?: I personally played in High School and College.
Love the sport.

Re: 2018 USWP ODP Regional Championship tournament

Postby 2plyBathingSuit » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:01 pm

I'm still trying to figure out why the quasi all-star teams were formed in the first place. You had North, South, East and West. Curious as to why they called them directional compass names. But then I took a closer look at where these players are from,...could this be because each team had players from the North, South, East and West on them? Could it really be that simple?

Rbpolo0414
Posts: 3406
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:43 pm
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan

Re: 2018 USWP ODP Regional Championship tournament

Postby Rbpolo0414 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:13 pm

2plyBathingSuit wrote:I'm still trying to figure out why the quasi all-star teams were formed in the first place. You had North, South, East and West. Curious as to why they called them directional compass names. But then I took a closer look at where these players are from,...could this be because each team had players from the North, South, East and West on them? Could it really be that simple?


More teams = More $$$$

User avatar
2plyBathingSuit
Posts: 1907
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:54 pm
How are you connected to water polo?: I personally played in High School and College.
Love the sport.

Re: 2018 USWP ODP Regional Championship tournament

Postby 2plyBathingSuit » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:20 pm

Rbpolo0414 wrote:
2plyBathingSuit wrote:I'm still trying to figure out why the quasi all-star teams were formed in the first place. You had North, South, East and West. Curious as to why they called them directional compass names. But then I took a closer look at where these players are from,...could this be because each team had players from the North, South, East and West on them? Could it really be that simple?


More teams = More $$$$


That was my first thought and I think you hit the nail on the head...but I didn't want to go there because somebody on WPP is constantly calling me a "complainer" and a "do-nothing sniper".

Rbpolo0414
Posts: 3406
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:43 pm
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan

Re: 2018 USWP ODP Regional Championship tournament

Postby Rbpolo0414 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:31 pm

2plyBathingSuit wrote:
Rbpolo0414 wrote:
2plyBathingSuit wrote:I'm still trying to figure out why the quasi all-star teams were formed in the first place. You had North, South, East and West. Curious as to why they called them directional compass names. But then I took a closer look at where these players are from,...could this be because each team had players from the North, South, East and West on them? Could it really be that simple?


More teams = More $$$$


That was my first thought and I think you hit the nail on the head...but I didn't want to go there because somebody on WPP is constantly calling me a "complainer" and a "do-nothing sniper".


And there is nothing wrong with them trying to make more money. As long as the demand is there, keep the supply coming until supply overwhelms demand.

waterballer
Posts: 151
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:20 am
How are you connected to water polo?: observer, veteran

Re: 2018 USWP ODP Regional Championship tournament

Postby waterballer » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:56 pm

USAWP is not suppose to be a for profit business, it’s a Mon- profit model there to benefit to the kids. For that reason their must be a different question to be asked. How does the All stars benefit the kids. I was told that it is not an invite situation, but whoever signs up is playing. Most kids in that age group who are outside of National Team no longer participate in pipeline in the past, and one could understand. However, all the pipeline kids and even those on the bubble I think we’re playing. It’s still a goood benefit since most are seniors. Most colleges were at the tournament in one way or another and they can get one last look at seniors who may or may not be still seeking their college. Lots of walk on potential. Most kids have pretty much signed though. That is only motive I can see. Most these kids that are in All Stars expect to play at some college level and are still grinding it out.

wplover
Posts: 128
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:25 pm
How are you connected to water polo?: fan. parent

Re: 2018 USWP ODP Regional Championship tournament

Postby wplover » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:03 am

All Stars is for kids born in 2000, so it would include Srs and some Jrs. It was an invite, at least in my (PAC) zone. I know boys who attended the camp and were not invited. There are plenty of Sr boys who are still hoping to play in college and get noticed, even now.

waterballer
Posts: 151
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:20 am
How are you connected to water polo?: observer, veteran

Re: 2018 USWP ODP Regional Championship tournament

Postby waterballer » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:01 am

I originally thought it was invite only as well. I was told by a parent of One of the boys that it was whoever signs up. So I will defer to others on that matter as my intel may not be credible or accurate. Lots of good players playing on All Stars for sure

LatinThunder
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:10 pm
How are you connected to water polo?: Parent

Re: 2018 USWP ODP Regional Championship tournament

Postby LatinThunder » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:20 pm

WaPoSaD wrote:I was happy to see some great results from the non-OC age group teams. The Central zone team (Sacramento etc.) did well; Bronze in Youth (after winning Gold last year) and fourth in Cadet. The Pacific Southwest zone (San Diego) had extraordinary teams; Silver in Youth — an overtime golden goal loss — and Gold in Cadet. Super impressive. Even the Northeast team replicated last year’s fourth place in Development.

Great to see some degree of geographic breadth of talent. Though the Pacific zone (SF) also did well (Gold Youth, Bronze Cadet, fifth Development), and the Southern Pacific zone (OC) — fourth Youth, Silver Cadet, and Gold Development — was strong as usual. Good to see some great play there too. The Coastal zone (LA) did well in Development (Silver and Bronze) but was fifth in Cadet and Youth.


I whole-heartedly agree. We had a great experience, once again. Happy with the entire experience. The only constructive feedback I would give is that there were a couple Youth teams we played against that were so focused on winning that they did not sub out select players. So while one of them did get a medal, I lost some respect for them. This is supposed to be "development" play and all the athletes should get equal time, after all, they were cherry-picked so they should all be good enough to play half the game. It also affects the chemistry of a team. Not to mention, everyone paid the same price to be there.

Secondly, the Tri-Valley venue was intolerably cold once again. Can we do better than requiring the boys to be on deck at 6am in 20 degree weather for a 7am game? Aside from the bitter cold, nobody can see the ball from the steam coming out of the pool, much less the players. I hope there is some consideration for relocating back to Riverside County or somewhere a tad warmer. I would rather go to Arizona.

Just my two cents. But otherwise, very very happy with the entire experience.

oldtimer
Posts: 2211
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:57 pm
How are you connected to water polo?: All of the above

Re: 2018 USWP ODP Regional Championship tournament

Postby oldtimer » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:38 pm

2plyBathingSuit wrote:That was my first thought and I think you hit the nail on the head...but I didn't want to go there because somebody on WPP is constantly calling me a "complainer" and a "do-nothing sniper".


Those terms were not aimed specifically at you. You are much more sensitive than your posts indicate...

Return to “Olympic Development Program”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest