ODP - Phase 2

USA Water Polo Olympic Development Program
deepwater

Re: ODP - Phase 2

Postby deepwater » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:23 am

Outside Shooter wrote:Deepwater – my comments were based on the first Sunday of tryouts/training, but after watching the second Sunday, I stand by them. Lets be more specific to this last Sunday. Once again a pre-selected group that never had to mix with the others were given an unfair advantage in the selection process. Let me explain why they were advantaged.

During the 93/94 tryouts in January of 2009 the coaches followed the ODP handbook and administered the skills test specified in the ODP handbook [look at page 8 of the handbook-you can find it on the SOPAC site] and used in the ODP championship. The skills tests included 10x100 on the 1:20, eggbeater tests, and shooting on the cage from different positions. The players had big numbers drawn on their bodies to identify them, and when it came time to scrimmage, they were randomly assigned to groups. In this situation, players were evaluated on their individual skills and they were evaluated in scrimmage situations.

Why was this important? Because when less skilled players scrimmage with more skilled players they look better and when more skilled players scrimmage with less skilled players, they don’t look as good. During both of the Sundays there were stacked scrimmage teams who never ‘mixed it up’.

There was little effort to identify players’ skills outside of the scrimmage situation-which was stacked. Chris Segesman made it obivious that all the teams had to be evaluated through scrimmages with the stacked team. I do question some of those players abilities over others that had to play with weaker teams, therefore giving them a unfair advantage. If those players were put on these weaker teams how would they have performed?

wporganzr wrote:I am wondering if the Sopac Zone will need to redo their tryouts and reschedule the itinerary for the boys at a later date in January 2010.
Wonder if some boys get another chance to make the cut due to the situation on Sunday, Dec 20.

h20polomamma wrote:Coastal zone already had to re-do its try-outs from the first time because 2 non-ODP coaches were involved in the selection process.

I was also wondering about the coaching situation. The only coaches I saw making decisions and pointing out players were Segesman and his assistant from Mater Dei. I don’t know if the assistant is an ODP coach. If this is what wporganzr is referring to, and what h2opolomamma elaborates on, then yes, there might be another problem.

If this is what you believe, than I'm truly sorry to hear that there maybe issues within the system. It appears as though the issue is up and down the state of California, the mecca for water polo. It also appears as though the management in HBHQ is sitting back collecting the cash and nothing more. Again, I did not see what you saw at the SOPAC ODP training sessions.

momofpoloplayer

Postby momofpoloplayer » Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:45 am

deepwater wrote:I did not see what you saw at the SOPAC ODP training sessions

Since you were there, can you tell us who the coaches were?

deepwater

Postby deepwater » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:32 pm

I only saw one coach (CS). The rest were evaluators.

momofpoloplayer

Postby momofpoloplayer » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:17 am

deepwater wrote:Whats' the deal. Either my kids are just fortunate and talented or I'm not seeing what others are speaking about; or there are some upset parents because their kids came close. Make sure they keep trying.

Based on your posts in the Regional Championships thread, are you are finally seeing what many in this thread saw last December at the SOPAC 94u tryouts, or are you upset because your kid came close?

deepwater wrote:Just tell your kids to keep pushing forward and continue to work hard.

Great advice.

Return to “Olympic Development Program”