ODP Announcements

USA Water Polo Olympic Development Program
KJE
How are you connected to water polo?: Coach

Re: ODP Announcements

Postby KJE » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:19 am

jackrabbits wrote:
momofpoloplayer wrote:
120408 wrote: No, I think you misunderstood my question. To try out next year, after the 2010 boys' water polo season which would involve 2011. Would someone be shut out if they didn't get involved this season. The boys are not going anywhere, so why do it now?

Just to make everyone aware of National Team rules... every national team is on a cycle. Youth and Jrs are two years and the senior team is a four year cycle. If an athlete chooses not to participate in ODP because their respective national team isn't "traveling" that summer, they are missing the point. If your kid really wants to make a national team, they need to take advantage of every training and competition opportunity available. Missing a summer because the team isn't traveling will only put the athlete further behind, and if that is the information that gets back to the coaching staff, I can surely tell you they will be skipped over in the future. Not forever, but more than likely for the remainder of the two year cycle. We are always looking for kids who are committed to the program, regardless of where the team is traveling. When the national team travels, it is a "free" trip somewhere.. but it's not a vacation, and quite frankly it's not free for USWP. The boys and girls who are privileged to be selected for a national team, or to participate in national team training, should treat it as such... a privilege... and should take advantage of it for as long as they can because right behind them there is another kid, coming up through the pipeline, anxious to take that spot.

You don't have to ODP this year to tryout next year and make a training team, but if the only reason to not participate is because the national team isn't traveling, then I would reconsider.

momofpoloplayer

Postby momofpoloplayer » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:03 pm

KJE wrote:I hope I responded appropriately.

Absolutely above and beyond KJE! :D I'll say it again, this has been the most and most informative information i've ever received about ODP. Thank you for responding.

jackrabbits

Postby jackrabbits » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:14 pm

KJE wrote: On earlier threads, people wanted USWP to do background checks, guess what, background checks are being implemented starting April 1.

This is good news.
Does this mean that ODP coaches will be required to submit fingerprinting by April 1, 2010?
Is there a date when all ODP coaches need to comply?
If coaches don't comply by a specific date would they be subject to removal until compliance?
Is there a time frame when a coach would be removed, if a coach was found ineligible under USAWP rules? 48 Hours?
What would be the process for removal? A phone call, a fed ex letter, a hearing ---?
Are you leaving this up to the zones to self report?
Has USAWP considered conflicts of interest when allowing zones to self govern this themselves?
If zones are self governing, what steps will be put in place to ensure compliance?
Who would be responsible for keeping track of this?
Has USAWP published offenses that are aceptable and unacceptable?
Petty theft, DUI, drug charges, child endangerment, ..?
What would exclude a current coach from being removed from his/her post?
Is this information published somewhere on the USAWP website?

Does this apply to just ODP coaches or all club coaches registered with USAWP?
Who is going to pay for this?
Are there dates set when USAWP will set up Fingerprinting Clinics where coaches can get this done at the expense of USAWP.
Otherwise, coaches will need to do this at their own expense?

What is the time frame?
Last edited by jackrabbits on Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:21 pm

Kim and Rick McKee have both made it clear that they are doing everything they can to get necessary information up on the USAWP website. It is not always easy to get a website updated...Here on the Planet, there are 3 people who update and they are constantly overwriting each others code. It is not always easy especially when USAWP does not have a designated webmaster. Kim made some promises of changes on the website and was able too get them implemented right away. I am willing to speculate that she will ensure that the background check issue will be well documented as well.

jackrabbits

Postby jackrabbits » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:35 pm

I fully believe that Kim and Rick are doing all they can to promote communication throughout the water polo community.
The fact that these wonderful individuals have taken the time to respond on this message board is greatly appreciated.
The above was not a slight to Kim or Rick.
I am curious as to who at USAWP is responsible for overseeing this task?

wpsupport
How are you connected to water polo?: fan

Postby wpsupport » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:18 pm

Speaking of a DUI, If USAWP wants to teach our young players responsibility as well as water polo techniques, it would be hypocritical if USAWP advocates a DUI as acceptable for water polo coaches. Just ask a parent who has lost a child due to a drunk driver. Or ask a wife who has lost her husband. What about the father who has lost his wife and his 4 children who are motherless? What about a water polo player who has lost one of his/her siblings? Unless we as a whole make it very clear that driving under the influence is NOT ACCEPTABLE or as schools advocate “NO TOLERANCE POLICIES” young children will think “it’s no big deal”. Obviously some drivers didn't think it was a big deal when they drove under the influence. It only takes one time to make one of the biggest mistakes of your life. DUI's will affect a great deal of possibilities with your current job or future jobs. A DUI is a "big deal" and I am confident that USAWP will take this very seriously.
I vote "no employment" for coaches with a DUI.

KJE

Postby KJE » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:59 pm

Clarification on ODP age groups:
We have been getting a lot of emails regarding the upcoming tryouts. People are confused about what tryout they should attend. In the next phase there are 3 separate age groups. 1. 94/95, 2. 96, 3. 97U.

In every zone except SW, PNW and HI, there are tryouts being held for the 96 age group and the 97U age group. In some zones these tryouts will be combined, and in some zones they will be held separately. Please check your USWP Zone Homepage for the information or email your zone coordinator whose name and email is listed at the top of the zone homepage. If the dates are not posted on the ODP webpage, it is because we have not received them yet.

If your child was born in the year 1996, they will attend the 1996 tryout. If your child was born in the year 1997 or later, they will attend the 97U tryout.

In SW, PNW, and HI there will be tryouts for all 3 age groups as ODP will be fairly new to these zones. For the PNW and HI, contact [email protected] as we are currently finalizing coaches and dates in these areas.

How are you connected to water polo?: fan

Postby 120408 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:39 pm

Since we are getting background checks on coaches shouldn't there be more done with kids as well? Are we going to be asking kids for a proof of age and citizenship? It does seem that since this is the Olympic Pipeline that kids should be US cictizens or dual citizens to qualify for ODP.

KJE

Postby KJE » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:15 am

Per my promise, the ODP staff has continued to discuss the born 93 issue. As I stated in earlier posts, the main concern regarding the 93s were for those born 93s who are only going to be juniors. In line with the direction that USWP is moving with JOs and some of the club administrators are moving with major tournaments, we are considering making the ODP age groups school years instead of born years. For example, instead of 94u this age group would be 11th grade and younger, 96 would be 9th grade, 97u would be eighth grade and younger.(Based on Fall 2010 year in school) This would allow the 93s who are only going to be juniors to still participate in training, as well as all future kids who have late birthdays. This won't appease all of you, but I hope it shows we are listening and are committed to finding ways to make the program work.

As we approach the end of phase 2, we are evaluating the process. I have received a ton of great feedback and we are working to implement some of the suggestions we've received. We are still looking at hours, $, and schedules for the kids as well as the zones.

Spargus

Postby Spargus » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:11 am

I'm sorry if I'm miss something but most of the 93 boys will be senior next year and only an insignificant number of 93 boys will benefit from the ODP's decision.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:18 am

Spargus wrote:I'm sorry if I'm miss something but most of the 93 boys will be senior next year and only an insignificant number of 93 boys will benefit from the ODP's decision.

You are right. I think Kims response shows that USAWP is making every effort to modify the program to help as many kids as possible benefit from the program even if they represent a small percentage of total players.

I think it commendable.

momofpoloplayer

Postby momofpoloplayer » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:34 am

KJE wrote:we are considering making the ODP age groups school years instead of born years

Sounds reasonable.

It also sounds like ODP made a wise choice by bringing KJE aboard!

KJE

Postby KJE » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:36 pm

Spargus,
we are discussing other options for the seniors. We just don't have anything concrete right now. We have to make sure that we can run things appropriately and that we have the staff for it. If and when a decision is made, I will post something here.

poloplaya2
How are you connected to water polo?: player

Postby poloplaya2 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:59 pm

It's good that the ODP program is considering different options..some group will always benefit more than others...another consideration is that a grade based proposal gives more opportunities and competitive advantages to kids who are "old" for their grade, an advantage that they already have in grade-based athletics. Also, if there is a proposal for 11th grade-under, 9th grade-under and 8th grade under on the table...10th graders are the "odd man/woman" out, and the younger 10th graders (95U) are the ones most likely to miss out. I understand that this is geared towards the way international tournaments are scheduled over the next few years...I hope that USAWP at least takes this into consideration in the planning.

momofpoloplayer

Postby momofpoloplayer » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:52 pm

poloplaya2 wrote: Also, if there is a proposal for 11th grade-under, 9th grade-under and 8th grade under on the table...10th graders are the "odd man/woman" out, and the younger 10th graders (95U) are the ones most likely to miss out. I understand that this is geared towards the way international tournaments are scheduled over the next few years...I hope that USAWP at least takes this into consideration in the planning.

True, which is why I hope one of options besides leaving the current plan in place, and changing it to a grade based option, is the revolving age group option mentioned about, e.g. 93/94 as top group next phase, followed by 94/95 the following phase, then 95/96. That is possibly the most fair method.

That said, looking at the international competitions in the years to come, I am beginning to see why the 94s are so seemingly privileged--with one of the next international competitions coming up based upon this age group, I have begun to wonder if the revised Phase 2 and Phase 3 focus was on preparing this particular age group for international competition as opposed to an overall focus on development in the initial ODP plan. I hope not because if this were the case, then ODP would be making some of the same mistakes of the past [short term focus] rather than on the long term development which many of us applauded in the initial ODP plan.

Return to “Olympic Development Program”