ODP Announcements

USA Water Polo Olympic Development Program
Spargus

Re: ODP Announcements

Postby Spargus » Wed May 05, 2010 4:57 pm

are the JO's a USA water Polo sanctioned event?

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Wed May 05, 2010 6:00 pm

Spargus wrote:are the JO's a USA water Polo sanctioned event?

Yes.

KJE
How are you connected to water polo?: Coach

Postby KJE » Thu May 06, 2010 2:39 am

Wpwp,
First of all, the ODP budget is posted online, for your viewing, any time you would like. And, I think you would be surprised as to where the money goes. An overwhelming majority of the dollars actually goes back to the Out of CA zones. Once again, you don't know what you are talking about in regards to ODP. In regards to development, just consider this.. 72 coaches from around the country are attending the NTSC for development, 320 athletes from around the country will get another 4 days of training and exposure. What other program has reached across the country to include kids, coaches and officials from every zone?

Second, the issue of USWP events like JOs has nothing to do with ODP. If you are pissed about national events like JOs only being in CA, then complain about it on another thread. There is an entire thread dedicated to the JOs. Go knock yourself out.

Third, because I can't help myself, I will respond. I agree grass roots has to take place, but it takes people in the zones to make a grass roots campaign work. The people in the zone have to make a commitment to get out there and make it happen. It's easy for you to say just fire people who don't bid for championships... if only it were that easy. You can attend a zone meeting and vote to oust your zone chair. You can also apply for the zone coordinator's position as we are always looking for someone. There are a lot of things going on, in every state, and getting 7 or 8 facilities to shut down for an event is pretty difficult. Could it happen, yes. Go back and ask your zone chair why your zone is not bidding for events. The hosting of an event requires a hell of a lot more than just finding pools. Quit putting the issue on California and USWP. Your zone chair can bid for JOs. Ours does, every other year. Your zone chair can bid for the 20 and U national Championships, Senior Nationals, and any other event. People constantly complain because USWP doesn't have locations listed for events... well, that's generally because no one has bid on the event and they have to go out and try to find someone to host. Who are they going to contact, people who have run events in the past. If you want to break the cycle, then throw your name in the pot and make it happen for your zone. Wpwp, you can start your own grass roots campaign. I am dying to go to Chicago... any takers on next year's regional championships?

Fourth, and my most important point. I've been researching the zones and memberships in the sport. Needless to say, I was pretty surprised at my findings. Here is just one example. Let's take a look at the NE. There are only 114 girls registered with USWP, total age groups born 92-99. In the Pacific Zone we have more than that in just registered born 98 girls. Now, I know more girls than that are playing water polo, but if they are not registered with USWP then they are not participating in USWP events. What was more surprising is that there are 20 registered clubs in the NE, yet only 114 girls registered in the entire zone. In the SE there are 32 clubs, but only 250 girls registered, and only 42 of them are under the age of 14. Where are all the girls playing? Or, are they? As a result, I have a new perspective on what ODP needs to do, and yes, some of it is grass roots. This leads me to my final point.

To wrap this up, if you have 100 teams play at JOs and 80 of them come from California, what is the incentive to move the tournament out of CA? Your argument is it's USWP's responsibility to grow the sport in other areas. I agree to a certain extent, but playing devil's advocate... in some of the Out of CA zones there are few USWP members, few clubs participating, few people starting new clubs and new programs. I can't move to the NE, SE or MW and start a club. People who work at USWP aren't going to move to the areas to start a club. I can't bid for an event in the NE, SE or MW. The people in the zone have to get the kids, start a club, enter the tournaments, and bid for the tournaments. Any parent can start a Splashball program. Parents can get out there and organize a new middle school league. Moving JOs to an out of CA state isn't going to help grow the sport in those areas. A great example of this is in the MTN zone. I don't know what this zone is doing, but they are doing all the right things. They have 3x as many girls playing and 2x as many boys, with only 15 clubs in the zone. Brad Peercy, the zone chair, has continuously bid for events and he gets them. He does a great job. Sandy Nitta works her tail off to make things happen in the zone. She hosts a huge masters tournament in Las Vegas as one example. To be clear, I support moving national events out of CA. I wish people in these zones would bid for the tournaments.

This conversation is just a big old pissing match. It's not that productive and we can all complain about the problems with USWP. I've been a member for 25 years, I get it. I quit my full time job and got involved in a capacity where I think I can make a difference. Wpwp, I would suggest finding solutions that you can implement instead of looking to others to do it for you. I believe someone posted the bid packet for next year's JO's. Go for it. I'm sure Liz Grimes from Sport Development would be happy to help you start a Splashball program or get a league going. Look, I'm not defending USWP, some dumb things have happened over the years and I know people don't trust the organization- again a different thread discussion. It's still my sport and it's the member body that I belong to and I want ODP to be successful. There are bigger problems with JOs than where the tournament is held, but please move that conversation to another thread.
Last edited by KJE on Thu May 06, 2010 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

KJE

Postby KJE » Thu May 06, 2010 2:44 am

Let's move the ODP discussion to development. I was worried about distance, but the bigger issue is getting girls playing beyond High school. How do we get them involved in the clubs? How do we reach the HS coaches and get them to buy in? How do we get girls playing at an earlier age in these zones? What other sports is water polo competing with in some of these zones? ODP staff and Sports Dev need to start attending HS Championships and we need to talk to people. After looking at the numbers, I now understand why some of you are so concerned about the 93 seniors not being involved in ODP. You rely heavily on your seniors and juniors in high school. It has made me rethink my original stance on this issue.

How are you connected to water polo?: fan

Postby 120408 » Sat May 08, 2010 1:16 pm

KJE wrote:Every year, every age has a chance to be at the top of the age group. I personally made a list of 93s to watch and a list of 95s to watch. I would like to tell you to give it time and have faith, but I know that is too much to ask.

I know that last year the few players who were on the watch list were specifically told by their zone coach that they just missed the cut. That was a big motivator for them over the past year. It would be nice to publish an alternate list of the kids especially those not at the top of the age group to help motivate them. I know there is a lot that you are doing but if you are making notes on who to watch in the future it doesn't seem like too much additional work to publish those alternates.

How are you connected to water polo?: fan

Postby 120408 » Sat May 08, 2010 1:29 pm

KJE wrote:Let's move the ODP discussion to development. I was worried about distance, but the bigger issue is getting girls playing beyond High school. How do we get them involved in the clubs? How do we reach the HS coaches and get them to buy in? How do we get girls playing at an earlier age in these zones? What other sports is water polo competing with in some of these zones? ODP staff and Sports Dev need to start attending HS Championships and we need to talk to people. After looking at the numbers, I now understand why some of you are so concerned about the 93 seniors not being involved in ODP. You rely heavily on your seniors and juniors in high school. It has made me rethink my original stance on this issue.

Yes I agree that one of the easiest ways to grow the sport is to keep players involved in ODP longer beyond high school. Many kids who have been involved in clubs depend on those clubs for their social life. What about the healthy life styles we should be promoting for our young people? I think if there was an opportunity to continue playing past high school they would do so. I wouldn't limit the discussion to 93's but I would include up to 91's. You already have customers that are there and have supported the program for years in many cases and then once they age out nothing. Maybe 20u's in the summer are revamped into a series of games which is part of the ODP process somewhat like the men's premiere league during the spring?

KJE

Postby KJE » Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:02 am

I just wanted to take a minute to thank the SE for running an incredible tournament this past weekend. Regional Championships was about as smooth as a tournament could be run. Special thanks to Adam Gaffey and his staff for doing such a great job. Saint Andrews was a perfect place to hold the tournament, great facility, location and staff.

Return to “Olympic Development Program”