Regional championships

USA Water Polo Olympic Development Program
How are you connected to water polo?: fan

Regional championships

Postby 120408 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:46 pm

KJE wrote:In regards to tryouts, the things that have changed from phase 1 are grades, cost, and length. The tryouts have always been "open". I guess I don't understand why we would close the door on new kids? An 8th grader trying out now who doesn't make the team should be allowed to tryout as a ninth grader. How does this change the value? The value is in the training and in the opportunity. I have an athlete who didn't make her respective team, took what she learned and worked hard at it, tried out this year and made the A Team. I guess I don't understand why we wouldn't want to give kids this opportunity? On the flip side, getting cut or not making the team also provides a learning experience. National team players experience this regularly. If we close the doors without opening new ones, the pipeline shrinks. And, in regards to the $, the hours and fees are reducing next year. Taking several things into consideration, the hours are changing to 48, calenders are being reduced to 5 weekends in the relatively off HS season for each region, and fees are reducing to $640. $ are necessary to run the program. Development is the focus. We are trying to find a proper balance...

Kim - I feel that USAWP is listening about the cost consideration and thanks for that. For regional championships this year, what do kids have to pay for - suits, water or drinks, meals, coaches fees, transportation, hotel? What are the costs beyond the $800?

What if you go to the National Training team - what costs do you expect to pay? What ever we can do to reduce the cost for the average player is great. For kids who can't afford it, my understanding is that there is aid availabe. I don't think everyone should have to share in the costs to the National Training camp - is that what happens? It seems like the kids that are chosen should have to pay. If you can't afford it, then apply for aid. That's a lot less expensive for everyone overall. Anywhere that we can cut costs for the average player the better.

What can kids expect as far as schedule goes? Is there training or drilling that will occur at the Regional camp as well as games between the regions?

What kind of security will be implemented at the hotels to keep players safe? How many chaperones are there for the players since parents can't stay at the same hotel? How many players in a hotel room?

What will be done to guarantee that players are eliglible to play for the national teams so we are not wasting our funding on players who are not eliglible like non-US citizens? How will we ensure that they are really the age that they say they are? Will there be quotas for each birth year?

Otto

Re: Regional championships

Postby Otto » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:34 am

The Regional Championships are much better than the national championships. More pleasant, better pace, more coherent. After going through both I like the Regionals much better.

KJE
How are you connected to water polo?: Coach

Re: Regional championships

Postby KJE » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:01 pm

120408 wrote:
KJE wrote:In regards to tryouts, the things that have changed from phase 1 are grades, cost, and length. The tryouts have always been "open". I guess I don't understand why we would close the door on new kids? An 8th grader trying out now who doesn't make the team should be allowed to tryout as a ninth grader. How does this change the value? The value is in the training and in the opportunity. I have an athlete who didn't make her respective team, took what she learned and worked hard at it, tried out this year and made the A Team. I guess I don't understand why we wouldn't want to give kids this opportunity? On the flip side, getting cut or not making the team also provides a learning experience. National team players experience this regularly. If we close the doors without opening new ones, the pipeline shrinks. And, in regards to the $, the hours and fees are reducing next year. Taking several things into consideration, the hours are changing to 48, calenders are being reduced to 5 weekends in the relatively off HS season for each region, and fees are reducing to $640. $ are necessary to run the program. Development is the focus. We are trying to find a proper balance...

Kim - I feel that USAWP is listening about the cost consideration and thanks for that. For regional championships this year, what do kids have to pay for - suits, water or drinks, meals, coaches fees, transportation, hotel? What are the costs beyond the $800?

What if you go to the National Training team - what costs do you expect to pay? What ever we can do to reduce the cost for the average player is great. For kids who can't afford it, my understanding is that there is aid availabe. I don't think everyone should have to share in the costs to the National Training camp - is that what happens? It seems like the kids that are chosen should have to pay. If you can't afford it, then apply for aid. That's a lot less expensive for everyone overall. Anywhere that we can cut costs for the average player the better.

What can kids expect as far as schedule goes? Is there training or drilling that will occur at the Regional camp as well as games between the regions?

What kind of security will be implemented at the hotels to keep players safe? How many chaperones are there for the players since parents can't stay at the same hotel? How many players in a hotel room?

What will be done to guarantee that players are eliglible to play for the national teams so we are not wasting our funding on players who are not eliglible like non-US citizens? How will we ensure that they are really the age that they say they are? Will there be quotas for each birth year?

There is alot to respond to here, but I'm not going into detail on some of this stuff. I have addressed some of these questions a number of times already.

1. If you are a member of a club team, you pay dues and then you pay tournament costs, you pay for your hotels, travel, food, gear, etc. In ODP, you pay dues. For teams traveling long distances, their hotel and ground transportation was taken care of. If kids flew, they pay part of the costs. Above and beyond that I don't know what kids pay. If a zone team wants suits, they can get them, it is not required by ODP. If you didn't travel far and your zone team chose to stay in a hotel, the kids probably had to pay, but ODP did not require this.

2. Everyone pays to participate in ODP. They are paying for the opportunity to train and learn the national team fundamental skills, as well as several other opportunities that have been outlined in prior posts. Every single kid has paid into the program. If you get selected to move on or not, you have paid for the hours and services provided. ODP has a grant program available to everyone. Anyone can apply for a grant to participate in the program.

3. What kids get for their money has been outlined. The kids have been training, the entire phase. The regional Championships is a tournament where they get to showcase their skills.

4. I have been on a hundred trips with kids of all ages. I would like to assume that parents wouldn't send their kids on a trip with me if they didn't think they were going to be well taken care of. Have some faith. I've brought kids to some of the worst places in the world. The coaches do a great job, if you don't trust them, notify me and I will look in to it. If you have travel questions, I would ask your zone coordinators for the specifics.

5. Why are we concerned about foreign players on our US teams? Ive been involved in this process for a decade, and in my experience it has never happened. Kirk mentioned to me that he knows of 1 time on the boys side and it was with a kid who lived in the US for his entire life. Through the process they found out he wasn't a US citizen and was disqualified from the program. I wouldn't spend time worrying about this. Regarding born years and school years, we do our best to make sure our information is accurate. If someone tries to screw the process, then I am sure at some point they will get caught. I can't get bogged down by people who want to be deceitful. I have faith that most people are honest and good and will do the right thing. I have no extra energy to waste on people who don't.

I am extremely proud of the direction of this program. Having concluded our first regional championship, I thought it went well. Every kid who attended played a ton. The general vibe on the pool was great. The ODP staff met with the kids and coaches after a number of games to give them feedback. The play was outstanding. The coaches did a wonderful job teaching the skills. The games were competitive and even the games were the scores were lopsided, they were still competitive in terms of the general water polo play. The kids are going to get a second evaluation, a written evaluation, here in the next two weeks. The coaches are getting an evaluation. I am being evaluated. There is more accountability than ever before. I guess sometimes I wish people would look at the program and see the glass as half full, instead of half empty. It's not perfect. And, I can guarantee there is no one out there more critical of the mistakes than Guy, myself and James. We pound on each other constantly and when we aren't hashing it out, well, I get to read water polo planet and find out what else I need to be aware of. It would be nice, if just once in a while, we could take a break from being skeptical and critical. 120408, I didn't answer your questions in detail, but hopefully it's enough to chew on for now. I appreciate your questions. Ive had 6 hours sleep in 3 days... I'm going to spend a little time being happy with the result, and then I'll get back to banging my head against the wall.

Return to “Olympic Development Program”