ODP National Selection Camp Southern California

USA Water Polo Olympic Development Program
suzyt421
How are you connected to water polo?: fan

ODP National Selection Camp Southern California

Postby suzyt421 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:49 am

Can anyone tell me what the age breakdown of the 9th grade cadet team is? I read through the ODP manual, but I'm still confused. thanks much :???:

polosaurus
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan

Re: ODP National Selection Camp Southern California

Postby polosaurus » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:09 pm

Hey SuzyT421 - it depends on who you ask. I think they have to be born in 95' and 96', but I'm no expert. I've also heard 96' only, and that if they're 95' and in the 9th grade they have to play up out in California to compete for a national spot. Good luck!

suzyt421

Postby suzyt421 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:06 pm

uhggggg. tx polosaurus, but this is the same type of info I've been hearing. I guess I should try contacting the coach. :sad:

polosaurus

Postby polosaurus » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:10 pm

good luck with that suzyt. let us know what you find out if they respond.

KJE
How are you connected to water polo?: Coach

Postby KJE » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:27 pm

I'm happy to respond, but it is always a good idea to contact the coach. The Cadet National team is made up of 9th grade and younger athletes. There will be athletes who attend who are born 95 and 96.

Abc

Postby Abc » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:26 pm

Hi KJE, Do you know if this applies to both males and females born in 95 & 96?

KJE

Postby KJE » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:52 pm

ABC, if you look at the NTSC rosters posted on each region page on the ODP website, it appears that there are born 95s and 96s on the boys rosters as well as the girls.

barknbette
How are you connected to water polo?: xplaya

Postby barknbette » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:56 pm

nope nope nope, might be true for the girls YEAH sistas!! ...but, I heard that word from the very top of mount odplympus for the boys is no way if you was born in 1995 are you going to play for the cadets. ....but, nobody I know in the know, in many parts of this land really know what's going on and whether or not their 1995 boys should show to the sunny half of california during the memorial day weekend. boohoo boys - time to man-up and play with the big boys.

KJE

Postby KJE » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:28 pm

Since I'm pretty in the know, I can tell you that born 95s and 96s WILL be attending the Cadet boys camp. The policy is not different based on gender. If something has been miscommunicated, I will try and clarify. It seems there may be a more specific question lurking out there. There will be 9th grade born 95s at the NTSC Cadet camp.

If you are confused, go to the ODP website and the region page. The rosters are all posted by grade. An athlete will attend the grade appropriate camp. 11th Youth, 9th Cadet, 8th Cadet.

Abc

Postby Abc » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:18 pm

KJE, are you saying that 9th grade boys born in 95 going to the NTSC will be eligible to be a member of the Cadet National team in Puerto Rico? Or, will the 95 boys mearly be able to train/be evaluated with the 96 boys, but not be on the traveling team?

momofpoloplayer

Postby momofpoloplayer » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:40 pm

The 95s have been screwed since ODP was revamped. Remember how they originally were to have their own training team? Then, rather than follow the odd year cycles as in previous years, the shift went to even years. Now, finally, they are at the bottom of the 11th grade and under or seemingly ineligible for the 9th grade and under team.

polobrrr

Postby polobrrr » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:42 pm

KJE wrote:Since I'm pretty in the know, I can tell you that born 95s and 96s WILL be attending the Cadet boys camp. The policy is not different based on gender. If something has been miscommunicated, I will try and clarify. It seems there may be a more specific question lurking out there. There will be 9th grade born 95s at the NTSC Cadet camp.

If you are confused, go to the ODP website and the region page. The rosters are all posted by grade. An athlete will attend the grade appropriate camp. 11th Youth, 9th Cadet, 8th Cadet.

Thanks KJE for your clarification. I would also like to know more specifically about the girls, in addition to the above post about the boys, and which I assume are the same for both boys and girls for equity sake....

My specific question is (and this seems to validate what you posted): if an athlete (boy or girl) participating in the 9th grade ODP group, and born in 1995, and participates at NTSC Memorial Day weekend in the 9th grade Cadet camp --- can they be on the U.S. National Cadet Team if selected and travel to Puerto Rico as a member/participant of the U.S. National Cadet Water Polo Team this August 2011?

Thanks a bunch for your help clarifying this. I don't know how you are "in the know", but you seem to know quite a bit about ODP and it's policies. :D

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:48 pm

Kim is one of the ODP Directors and has been a fantastic resource to the water polo community by taking the time to answer questions here.... (sometimes the same question over and over again).

The WPP message board official rule is that we treat Kim with respect for her willingness to help!

polobrrr

Postby polobrrr » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:01 pm

Moderator wrote:Kim is one of the ODP Directors and has been a fantastic resource to the water polo community by taking the time to answer questions here.... (sometimes the same question over and over again).

The WPP message board official rule is that we treat Kim with respect for her willingness to help!

Thank you Moderator. We absolutely appreciate Kim's help! I surely did not mean any disrespect in my message. Please know that was not my intent. I would just like clarification, and she had asked that there must be a more specific question.

@ Kim: Thank you very much for your help! We really appreciate your time and your efforts, and for taking on this position as an ODP Director. There obviously just seem to be many people who would like clarification about if 9th grade, '95 athletes (boys and girls), can be on the Cadet National team that travels to Puerto Rico?
Last edited by polobrrr on Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Abc

Postby Abc » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:05 pm

I respectfully agree with polobrrr. I'm thrilled that Kim is so generous with her time to answer questions.

Return to “Olympic Development Program”