14 yr old boy - weight lifting or not?

Mike Reid will answer your questions about physical training, weight training and general training for water polo.
pumpfake
How are you connected to water polo?: parent and fan

14 yr old boy - weight lifting or not?

Postby pumpfake » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:48 pm

Hello Mike,

My son is 14 yr old.
His high school water polo coach wants everyone to participate in the weigh lifting sessions in the summer.
My son is 5'6", 120 pounds, and his voice still didn't change.

He wants to do it.
He thinks it will help him improve stamina, endurance, and muscle strength.
He says some of his team mates in the club ( they are 13 or 14 yrs old. ) work with a personal trainer and do weights.

I'm not comfortable with the idea.

He has been a starter in the club team all the time not because he is muscular but because he is a quick (not a fast swimmer though) and a smart player. Nonethelesss, I agree that he needs to build his stamina since he gets very tired in the 4th quarter.
What type of workout would help him in this case?
Do you recommend weight lifting?

Thank you so much!

Ella

MichaelReid
How are you connected to water polo?: Player, Coach & Official.

I am a professional Strength & Conditioning Coach from Canada living for the past 6 years in Europe but I'm now back coaching Water Polo in Canada.
I operate 2 websites on training, health and nutrition.

www.michaelreid.ca

www.waterpolotraining.net

I am presently writing a monthly article for WaterPoloPlanet on strength & conditioning for Water Polo.

Re: 14 yr old boy - weight lifting or not?

Postby MichaelReid » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:31 am

Hello Ella,

Do you recommend weight lifting?

Yes, but I like to think of it as more of strength training which can be with weights but also bodyweight movements (e.g. push up and chin up variations).

What type of workout would help him in this case?

No matter the age or level of the athlete, technical execution of the movement is most important. Generally for most people who are starting some form of strength training, doing 1-3 sets of 10-15 reps is adequate. A training program like I have published on this website is a great place to start for anyone beginning a strength program (see link below).

http://www.waterpoloplanet.com/HTML_Mike_pages/mr02_Strength_Training.html

"In addition to aerobic activities such as swimming and bicycling, research increasingly indicates that resistance training can offer unique benefits for children and adolescents when appropriately prescribed and supervised."
- Updated Position Statement Paper From the National Strength and Conditioning Assoc.
http://nsca-lift.org/Publications/YouthResistanceTrainingUpdatedPosition2.pdf

Thank you for the question.

pumpfake
How are you connected to water polo?: parent and fan

Postby pumpfake » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:34 pm

Thank you for taking time to answer my question.

My son checked out your website. He is doing what you are showing in the youtube video.

Thanks again.

Ella

Gergely Kiss
How are you connected to water polo?: I am 15 and I play water polo in Slovakia.

Postby Gergely Kiss » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:36 pm

In my opinion it would be best if he´d start improving his absolute strength and speed. start with box squats, presses, dynamic pulls, dynamic presses and squats, jumps, sprinting, sledge dragging, prowler pushes. mastering the technique at first. then moving onto some heavier weights

Return to “Physical Training With Mike Reid”