Wh do water polo players have higher % of BF?

Mike Reid will answer your questions about physical training, weight training and general training for water polo.
Gergely Kiss
How are you connected to water polo?: I am 15 and I play water polo in Slovakia.

Wh do water polo players have higher % of BF?

Postby Gergely Kiss » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:38 am

Hey Mike this has been on my mind for a very long time, I´ve recently looked on pictures of most elite water polo players and it has gotten to my attention that most of them had less muscle mass and more BF than elite hockey, rugby, football athletes, sprinter and throwers. Is there any particular reason for that? Less drugs in water polo than other sports?

Also I´ve noticed a lot of athletes bring powerlifting style training to their programmes, e.g. WSB method with ME work and DE work. I´ve never seen a water polo player do any similar work.

MichaelReid
How are you connected to water polo?: Player, Coach & Official.

I am a professional Strength & Conditioning Coach from Canada living for the past 6 years in Europe but I'm now back coaching Water Polo in Canada.
I operate 2 websites on training, health and nutrition.

www.michaelreid.ca

www.waterpolotraining.net

I am presently writing a monthly article for WaterPoloPlanet on strength & conditioning for Water Polo.

Re: Wh do water polo players have higher % of BF?

Postby MichaelReid » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:23 am

Hello "Gergely Kiss"

Yes, I to have noticed what appears to be slightly higher body fat on some very high level International males Water Polo players. I will have to review my research library to see if anything like this is documented and compared to other sports. If it is the case, I do not know why.

A powerlifting program is not really necessary for Water Polo. That being said doing some kind of deadlifts and squats is a good thing but reaching powerliftng standards is not required for Water Polo.

I believe the application of strength or any dry land training for Water Polo is largely misunderstood.

Thank you for the question.

Gergely Kiss
How are you connected to water polo?: I am 15 and I play water polo in Slovakia.

Postby Gergely Kiss » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:53 pm

MichaelReid wrote:Hello "Gergely Kiss"

Yes, I to have noticed what appears to be slightly higher body fat on some very high level International males Water Polo players. I will have to review my research library to see if anything like this is documented and compared to other sports. If it is the case, I do not know why.

A powerlifting program is not really necessary for Water Polo. That being said doing some kind of deadlifts and squats is a good thing but reaching powerliftng standards is not required for Water Polo.

I believe the application of strength or any dry land training for Water Polo is largely misunderstood.

Thank you for the question.

thank you. please if you find something tell me.

I was talking more about getting stronger and faster through powerlifting. I know some athletes and even myself got better in every aspect when I did heavy singles of squats, benchpresses and speed deadlifts, squats and benches. I am experimenting with bands and the conjugate method at the moment. I noticed a lot of similar training in programmes of fighters and track athletes, but never in water polo programme. I also think heavy single deadlifting shouldn´t be done in sport like water polo as it puts a lot stress on the CNS therefore technical and physical preparation can be slowed down.

what dry land training do you suggest. I believe that for start getting stronger means also getting faster. Eric cressey had a a great video about it.

MichaelReid
How are you connected to water polo?: Player, Coach & Official.

I am a professional Strength & Conditioning Coach from Canada living for the past 6 years in Europe but I'm now back coaching Water Polo in Canada.
I operate 2 websites on training, health and nutrition.

www.michaelreid.ca

www.waterpolotraining.net

I am presently writing a monthly article for WaterPoloPlanet on strength & conditioning for Water Polo.

Postby MichaelReid » Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:24 pm

Please read this, it is a post from earlier today related to your question.

viewtopic.php?f=67&t=7832#p64064

Gergely Kiss

Postby Gergely Kiss » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:32 pm

well from my experience, I have been only weightlifting/powerlifting last year, mostly following the west side principles + some bodybuilding style training with high intensity ( sept. - dec. 2010 and may - june 2011) I quit water polo and didnt have a real swimming session in 12 months. I´ve gained 20 kilos and went from 70kg benchpress to 110 kg bench, 60 kg squat to 180 squat and 100 kg deadlift to 200 kg deadlift. I´ve tryed maxing out on swimming and my 50 m sprint hasn´t suffered a bit. :D so in my opinion powerlifting helps you to become a better player. :D

Doru Roll
How are you connected to water polo?: player, fan, referee

Postby Doru Roll » Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:30 pm

Gergely Kiss wrote:... so in my opinion powerlifting helps you to become a better player. :D

And so does maturing from adolescence to adulthood. The average male's muscular strength naturally doubles during this time frame even without power training. Alas, if only our mental strength doubled as well...

Gergely Kiss

Postby Gergely Kiss » Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:04 pm

Doru Roll wrote:
Gergely Kiss wrote:... so in my opinion powerlifting helps you to become a better player. :D

And so does maturing from adolescence to adulthood. The average male's muscular strength naturally doubles during this time frame even without power training. Alas, if only our mental strength doubled as well...

if getting stronger and faster doesn´t help you I don´t know what does. oh yeah, so we shouldn´t even train with weights because our muscular strength doubles over time? that´s kind of silly don´t you think. Oh yeah, that last sentence trying to bring me down was pretty pityful.

Doru Roll
How are you connected to water polo?: player, fan, referee

Postby Doru Roll » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:56 pm

Gergely Kiss wrote:... if getting stronger and faster doesn´t help you I don´t know what does. oh yeah, so we shouldn´t even train with weights because our muscular strength doubles over time? that´s kind of silly don´t you think. Oh yeah, that last sentence trying to bring me down was pretty pityful.

Gergely,

It has been suggested that over-training during adolescence, particularly power training, may actually have negative effects on growth and development. Sometimes athletes stop growing and plateau for a while, only to "sprout" suddenly when they stop training due to injury or illness. Furthermore, while muscle mass and strength increase relatively fast, the same is not true about bones, tendons and ligaments. This can lead to serious, even permanent, injury, as the statistically-significant numbers of adolescents who had to abandon sports due to injury seems to suggest.

Going back to your original question regarding body fat: believe it or not a buffed-out, lean body is not advantageous for water polo. Why? Because lean muscle is heavier than water and therefore less buoyant. A small mount of interstitial fat (4-8% for men, depending on several factors) will increase buoyancy up to a point. If the amount of body fat is excessive and visceral fat fills in the abdominal cavity, then the opposite happens. So people who are either very lean and muscular, or very fat, don't float too well.

Please rest assured that my previous post was not trying to influence you in any way; you're not that important to me. It was simply an observation from my own and other people's experience. Your experience may be different of course; as they say: "Your mileage may vary". Good luck with growing up.

Gergely Kiss

Postby Gergely Kiss » Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:54 am

Doru Roll wrote:
Gergely Kiss wrote:... if getting stronger and faster doesn´t help you I don´t know what does. oh yeah, so we shouldn´t even train with weights because our muscular strength doubles over time? that´s kind of silly don´t you think. Oh yeah, that last sentence trying to bring me down was pretty pityful.

Gergely,

It has been suggested that over-training during adolescence, particularly power training, may actually have negative effects on growth and development. Sometimes athletes stop growing and plateau for a while, only to "sprout" suddenly when they stop training due to injury or illness. Furthermore, while muscle mass and strength increase relatively fast, the same is not true about bones, tendons and ligaments. This can lead to serious, even permanent, injury, as the statistically-significant numbers of adolescents who had to abandon sports due to injury seems to suggest.

Going back to your original question regarding body fat: believe it or not a buffed-out, lean body is not advantageous for water polo. Why? Because lean muscle is heavier than water and therefore less buoyant. A small mount of interstitial fat (4-8% for men, depending on several factors) will increase buoyancy up to a point. If the amount of body fat is excessive and visceral fat fills in the abdominal cavity, then the opposite happens. So people who are either very lean and muscular, or very fat, don't float too well.

Please rest assured that my previous post was not trying to influence you in any way; you're not that important to me. It was simply an observation from my own and other people's experience. Your experience may be different of course; as they say: "Your mileage may vary". Good luck with growing up.

I am not speaking about overtraining, over training is the worst thing that can happen during training, not only during adolescence but during your whole life. Where did you learn that weight lifting stunts your growth and destroys your tendons and ligaments? It´s been proven many times that it is a false myth. Me myself am 195 cms tall.

Return to “Physical Training With Mike Reid”