2017 Roster Announced

Discussion of USA Semi Professional League
HawkinsPolo4
How are you connected to water polo?: College water polo graduate, four-year high school player, and long time club player. Now coaching club year around and playing masters

2017 Roster Announced

Postby HawkinsPolo4 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:00 pm

2017 Roster for the National League has been announced. Should be a good mix. Thoughts?

deepwater

Re: 2017 Roster Announced

Postby deepwater » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:29 pm

Where's Kimbell or Mendoza on any of these rosters?
Lot's seem MIA this season and a welcome to some fresh line-ups! Great to see Rob Lynn back in the mix.

deepwater

Postby deepwater » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:03 pm

Seriously - Top guns missing again - why?
And when is USAWP going to pull their heads-out to realize Lynn's 'coaching abilities,' the dude is phenomenal!

OldTimePlayer
How are you connected to water polo?: Player

Postby OldTimePlayer » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:07 pm

I saw the Wigo brothers registered but no stats. What happened

jeff
How are you connected to water polo?: I am a fan.

Postby jeff » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:17 pm

Did anyone attend the National League Championship games this weekend? The Olympic Club was 6-0 after the first two weeks of competition and Chris Lathrop, one of the Olympic Club coaches, should be voted "general manager of the year" for getting Ryan Bailey, Lazar Andric, and Patrick Fellner to play for the Olympic Club. In spite of his efforts, the New York Athletic Club (4-2 after the first two weeks of competition) beat the Olympic Club 11-8 in the finals. Josh Samuels was named the tournament MVP, Andric the top goalie, Ege Colak from Pacific (retiredguy, what do we know about his game?) the top newcomer, and John Mann was easily the best center in the tournament. The Los Angeles Athletic Club finished a disappointing sixth after I predicted they would finish in the top 3. I don't know what's up with Garrett Danner, but he played in only one of the three games this weekend, requiring a high school goalie (Kyle McKenney from Buchanan High School) to start 2 of the 3 games, and Danner clearly isn't playing as well as he did during the 2014 and 2015 college seasons.

Fellner played in one of the games on Saturday, but it doesn't look like he played in the finals. I have to think the final game would have been closer if Fellner had played. It appears that Ben Hallock didn't play at all this weekend. After redshirting during the 2016 college season, I would have thought that John Vargas would have wanted Hallock to play against top-notch competition before the 2017 college season begins. Does anyone know why Hallock hasn't played in the National League games? Similarly, Felix Brozyna-Vilim was listed on the roster for the USA Junior Team, but I don't think he played one game. Does anyone know why he isn't playing and whether he is fully recovered from his knee surgery? I wouldn't be surprised if FBV redshirts in 2017 and Quinten Osborne shares time with Matt Farmer at the center position for UCLA.

Note: This website is a good forum for exchanging opinions and posting scores. What we don't have is a reporter who attends the big games, develops a relationship with the coaches and players, analyzes the games and teams, and asks the tough questions. I'm willing to donate $500 per year to someone who wishes to assume this role (I'd volunteer to do it myself, but I have a few years to go before I retire) if others think it's a good idea.

2plyBathingSuit
How are you connected to water polo?: I personally played in High School and College.
Love the sport.

Postby 2plyBathingSuit » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:39 pm

jeff wrote:Did anyone attend the National League Championship games this weekend? The Olympic Club was 6-0 after the first two weeks of competition and Chris Lathrop, one of the Olympic Club coaches, should be voted "general manager of the year" for getting Ryan Bailey, Lazar Andric, and Patrick Fellner to play for the Olympic Club. In spite of his efforts, the New York Athletic Club (4-2 after the first two weeks of competition) beat the Olympic Club 11-8 in the finals. Josh Samuels was named the tournament MVP, Andric the top goalie, Ege Colak from Pacific (retiredguy, what do we know about his game?) the top newcomer, and John Mann was easily the best center in the tournament. The Los Angeles Athletic Club finished a disappointing sixth after I predicted they would finish in the top 3. I don't know what's up with Garrett Danner, but he played in only one of the three games this weekend, requiring a high school goalie (Kyle McKenney from Buchanan High School) to start 2 of the 3 games, and Danner clearly isn't playing as well as he did during the 2014 and 2015 college seasons.

Fellner played in one of the games on Saturday, but it doesn't look like he played in the finals. I have to think the final game would have been closer if Fellner had played. It appears that Ben Hallock didn't play at all this weekend. After redshirting during the 2016 college season, I would have thought that John Vargas would have wanted Hallock to play against top-notch competition before the 2017 college season begins. Does anyone know why Hallock hasn't played in the National League games? Similarly, Felix Brozyna-Vilim was listed on the roster for the USA Junior Team, but I don't think he played one game. Does anyone know why he isn't playing and whether he is fully recovered from his knee surgery? I wouldn't be surprised if FBV redshirts in 2017 and Quinten Osborne shares time with Matt Farmer at the center position for UCLA.

Note: This website is a good forum for exchanging opinions and posting scores. What we don't have is a reporter who attends the big games, develops a relationship with the coaches and players, analyzes the games and teams, and asks the tough questions. I'm willing to donate $500 per year to someone who wishes to assume this role (I'd volunteer to do it myself, but I have a few years to go before I retire) if others think it's a good idea.

Just an FYI: I was not in attendance for the NL Championships this past weekend, therefore I really cannot comment on anything that took place there. However, since you mentioned that Hallock "did not play at all"...I did notice there were some stats posted by the FOSH that Hallock played in the 3rd/4th place match of USA University vs Alumni game. According to FOSH; He tallied 2 shots with one resulting in a goal. Please note: I have no idea if this information is correct.

jeff
How are you connected to water polo?: I am a fan.

Postby jeff » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:31 pm

Thanks for the update, 2Ply. When I looked at the USA Water Polo website early in the day on Sunday, I didn't see any stats listed for Hallock in the game USA University lost to the Olympic Club on Saturday and I mistakenly assumed that he didn't play all weekend. With Hallock, Cupido, Hooper, Dunstan, Baron, Holland, Parish, Stevenson, Irving, and Roelse, among others, I thought USA University had a chance to win the tournament.

Pacificblue
How are you connected to water polo?: former player, parent, fan

Postby Pacificblue » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:56 am

I know Nikola Vavic and Alex Bowen are over in Europe playing, but what about Bonanni? Didn't see him on any of the National League Rosters. Is he playing abroad? Injured? Or taking a break?

2plyBathingSuit
How are you connected to water polo?: I personally played in High School and College.
Love the sport.

Postby 2plyBathingSuit » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:33 pm

Bonanni has hung-up his Speedo for the last time...so I've been told.

retiredguy
How are you connected to water polo?: Former player, fan

Postby retiredguy » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:48 pm

Jeff, thanks for the insight gathered from the weekend. I think all of the games are archived on the Facebook page for USA Water Polo for those who are interested in watching. I was surprised to see that the USA University team didn't make the final as well with all of the current athletes they have who should be in heavy training at the moment (maybe not as much as I thought?). While the Olympic Club has some great players, most of them have full-time jobs and this is now a hobby for them. Looks like Paul Reynolds could still suit up though and dominate (another smaller guy who never got a shot at the National Team). That would be a shame about Bret Bonnani being done after only one Olympic cycle, definitely seemed like a player who could be one of the top shooters in the world after another 4 year cycle.

I haven't had a chance to watch Ege Colak play in person yet, but from what I saw from streamed games last year is that he is an excellent Left-handed center for Pacific (who has had some of the best centers in the country recently with Tomasevic and Obert). Colak draws a lot of exclusions and then is very difficult to guard at the 3 post since he is a lefty. Really easy for the 1 or the 4 position to pass to the 3 post with him there.

Overall, I'd love to see the National League expand to having more teams and maybe a Fall League. Ideally, the winning team needs to find a way to have a seat in the Champions League in Europe. All games should be streamed with announcing and stats over the internet. Wouldn't be that hard to do I think...any other suggestions to improve this league?

Rbpolo0414
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan

Postby Rbpolo0414 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:30 pm

I didn't attend this year, although I would of if I was available. Having it at Woolett in conjunction with ODP was a great idea so the kids can watch the best players in the US. It would be nice if they did one weekend in Los Angeles instead of 2 in Orange County. Jeff touched on it, but it is irritating that they include players on the rosters that never play. NYAC seemed to have players missing for a lot of the games, and didn't have a full roster until the finals. Pretty weak. Olympic Club added several guys fresh off of their senior seasons, so they had in shape players. It is a shame Andric isn't up for the Cutino Award as he might of been the best goalie in college this year.

Bardownbunny
How are you connected to water polo?: fan

Postby Bardownbunny » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:24 pm

I thought this was the best year so far for the National League. The 3 weekend format was good along with playing 25 meters. I don't think any of the teams had much, if any, practice time together. The college players are in their off season of 8 hours per week and only played together at the tournaments. I liked the mixed teams with some younger and older players that was neat - similar to the way they did it a few years ago. As for more teams, I'm not sure how that can be done, NCAA rules restrict practice and playing out of season so they can't put college teams into the mix and I don't think there is enough depth in older players to field more than four competitive teams. Playing in the Fall doesn't work due to overlap with the college and California high school seasons. The Fisher Cup should be very competitive.

I thought University should have beat Olympic. University was ahead by three or four goals and should have closed out the game. They looked a bit gassed, most of them had just returned from Colorado Springs and they had a pretty hard game against LA Athletic Club in the first game. Also, I think this was the first weekend they had all of their players in the pool together (Hooper missed the first week, Hallock and Cupido missed the second week) Olympic club had a nice mix of older and just graduated college guys and they played really good defense up the middle.

I haven't watched the Facebook video but it was a pretty big set-up so I'm hopeful it was good quality. As for The Fosh - perhaps someone needs to be trained on working the system because it was really inaccurate.

It should be an interesting year, with the off-cycle and so many young players in the mix.

Pacificblue
How are you connected to water polo?: former player, parent, fan

Postby Pacificblue » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:30 pm

2plyBathingSuit wrote:Bonanni has hung-up his Speedo for the last time...so I've been told.

Interesting. So from the 13 players who made the Rio Olympic squad - which Coach Udovicic said was really a prep for 2020 - we are losing Azevedo, Moses, Smith, Bonanni, and possibly Cupido? Is Obert still actively playing? Didn't see him listed on any of the rosters this weekend.

Wow, looks like we could be starting all over again for 2020. So much for working for the future...

butterybarin10

Postby butterybarin10 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:50 pm

Watched LAAC play USA University on youtube. UNI is coached by Udovocic where he can get a pretty clear view how dominating Hooper is playing with some of Dejan's other national team products. It's about time that kid gets a chance. As for Danner, doesn't look like he's in shape at all right now which isn't a shocker. He just finished up his college career and does not have much hope playing any further. Roberts and Daboub still playing as good as they were back on that 2015 UCLA team. With several 2016 olympians retiring, the doors could be open for them.

Bardownbunny

Postby Bardownbunny » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:53 pm

We are early in a new cycle and getting additional players involved is always important. It was known that Tony, Merrill, Jessie and probably John weren't going to go through the new cycle. OB and Josh are both on the older side for US players as both will be nearing 30 or early 30's for 2020. I don't think it was unusual for guys to take a year or two off at the beginning of a cycle to work on life stuff, like school and work. I think keeping consistency will be important. As far as Hooper, he is maturing and looks like he is becoming more well rounded and with a couple of open spots on the 1 / 2 side will give him an opportunity.

It's actually amazing to think that we could even be younger (on average) than we were in 2016 - yet more experienced. Hooper, Hallock and Dunstan could still play in the Junior Worlds this year. I think the future is incredibly bright.

Return to “National Waterpolo League (NWL)”