Pac-12 Network may have dropped coverage of live games

Looking for some good water polo games to watch? This is the place.
JeremyM
How are you connected to water polo?: I have played, coached and have been a ref.

Pac-12 Network may have dropped coverage of live games

Postby JeremyM » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:54 am

The Pac-12 Network announced last month that seven water polo games would be on one of their networks. But it appears that two have dropped after looking through their schedule. However, the remaining five are on the national network which is good, assuming you get it. However, ESPNU has picked up the Cal vs. USC game on Sept. 23.

More details are here: http://www.theskipshot.com/2012/8/27/32 ... o-schedule

stats
How are you connected to water polo?: ex-player, fan, parent

Re: Pac-12 Network may have dropped coverage of live games

Postby stats » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:13 pm

One of the things that USAWP is doing that I think is pretty visionary is trying to get a world-class polo venue constructed in Orange County. As I understand it, the point of this venue would be to allow an experience like that in the Olympics - i.e., underwater cameras, replay capabilities, indoor stadium seating, high-tech TV coverage, etc. Last I heard (a few months ago), this venue had been ok'd by the OC development agency, and USAWP had several corporate sponsors on board.

I think this would be mostly a venue for the national team, but given the success of polo coverage in the Olympics, one wonders if the draw of such a venue might affect college polo and maybe lead to even more than these 5 or 6 games being covered from Pac-12 or nationally. One hopes that all this TV coverage will continue to grow the sport.

JeremyM
How are you connected to water polo?: I have played, coached and have been a ref.

Postby JeremyM » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:30 pm

That would be awesome.

NTX H2O Polo Dad
How are you connected to water polo?: Water Polo Parent

Postby NTX H2O Polo Dad » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:25 pm

Maybe someone from the head office would look into pumping some of those games into growing youth markets such as Texas. We are seeing a growth, but it could only help if these kids were able to see college level games on TV. The kids (and parents) went wild over Olympic coverage. Our club is getting an 11 yr old girl that wants to play only because she saw the women win gold. WE NEED MORE EXPOSURE TO OUR YOUTH.

Polodad

Postby Polodad » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:48 pm

Just picked this up from the Cal site...

"For the first time this year, Cal will be televised during the regular season with two matches on ESPNU (Sept. 7 at Princeton, 6 p.m. ET; and Sept. 23 at USC, 1 p.m.) and two matches on the Pac-12 Networks (UCLA on Oct. 6, TBA; and Stanford, Oct. 20, TBA, at Spieker Aquatics Complex)."

It is certainly possible that the 2 matches on Pac-12 Network will be delayed rather than live, but this beats years past when all we got was the NCAA finals.

Return to “Water Polo on TV, Internet, Radio or Download”