JOs 2021 out of state

The New Generation
IpayBar
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan

JOs 2021 out of state

Postby IpayBar » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:31 pm

Any chance USA polo moves the JOs to another state? I think they should seriously consider this and plan like it won't happen in CA. A least have a Plan B to hold JOs elsewhere.

Good or Bad idea?

I say do it now and guarantee a JOs this summer.

#ROADTRIP

Sctrojanje
How are you connected to water polo?: Family and fan. Daughter plays, I played and wife coached and played

Re: JOs 2021 out of state

Postby Sctrojanje » Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:13 am

#JOROADTRIP

The problem is density of pools. Correct me if wrong, but it takes approximately 75 pools to host JOs?

I am in favor of a out of state JOs. Welcome to Florida??

PoloEagle22
How are you connected to water polo?: Parent, former coach, former player

Postby PoloEagle22 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:30 pm

Fairly certain you wouldn't need 75 pools if you left California. Lots of teams would forgo the trip and stay home.

IpayBar

Postby IpayBar » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:12 pm

Sctrojanje wrote:#JOROADTRIP

The problem is density of pools. Correct me if wrong, but it takes approximately 75 pools to host JOs?

I am in favor of a out of state JOs. Welcome to Florida??

Definitely an organized nightmare to move out of state. But I think USA WP should plow forward with it for 2021. Things aren't moving towards unraveling the initial panic SPIKE. Still fear mongering going on and a one size fits all attitude. Really getting doubts about sports of any kind occurring in this state. Perhaps the vaccine charges this but time is ticking.

Maybe some boys/girls age groups tournaments like the Kap7 or Turbo Cup do an out of state 3 day tournament

Rational

Postby Rational » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:53 am

Just FYI - a typical 48 team bracket takes 5 pools to run ... So maybe if you cancelled the Challenge and Invitational divisions, taking JO's out of state could be done.... however at $950/team * 6 divisions * 72 add'l teams per division = $410,400 in lost revenue for USAWP to take those extra teams away.

The problem with Florida is lightning, especially in July, I think there were horror stories from last time they had JO's in FL, games delayed, playing at midnight - no champion crowned, stuff like that, maybe someone that was there can chime in - https://www.abcactionnews.com/news/stat ... his-is-why

If you split the tournament over 2 weeks, in theory you could use 10 pools and get it done with 16 straight days of polo:
Week 1 - 10/12/14u Boys - Saturday - Tuesday ***** 10/12/14u girls Wednesday-Saturday
Week 2 - 16/18u boys - Sunday - Wednesday ******* 16/18u girls Thursday - Sunday

You'd have to do something for the refs - split them up - you can't expect them to stay focused that long.

badboy
How are you connected to water polo?: parent

Postby badboy » Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:22 pm

IpayBar wrote:Any chance USA polo moves the JOs to another state? I think they should seriously consider this and plan like it won't happen in CA. A least have a Plan B to hold JOs elsewhere.

Good or Bad idea?

I say do it now and guarantee a JOs this summer.

#ROADTRIP

Vast majority of refs are in CA.

Vast majority to teams in CA.

B teams won't likely want to travel.

Better to do club champs or something out of state.

PoloParentfor2
How are you connected to water polo?: Parent

Postby PoloParentfor2 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:03 pm

Texas?
There must be 75 pools in the Dallas Fort Worth area with all the swimming. Cheap flights especially with Southwest and Hotels are very inexpensive now.
Most other sports have moved major events out of California and kids are playing again. USAWP please come up with a plan for our kids to play again!

PoloEagle22
How are you connected to water polo?: Parent, former coach, former player

Postby PoloEagle22 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:29 pm

Texas would be a cool option, but what impact would the heat have on holding it there? I look and the average high temperature in Dallas in July is 96, the low is 77. That would make for some long hot days, especially for the refs who are already over worked and under hydrated. The heat in the Bay Area is bad enough, and Irvine isn't cool in July, but that would be harsh. Not saying it couldn't work, but that might be problematic.

LimeyPoloDad
How are you connected to water polo?: Former player & coach, now a polo dad and referee.

Postby LimeyPoloDad » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:50 am

PoloEagle22 wrote:Texas would be a cool option, but what impact would the heat have on holding it there? I look and the average high temperature in Dallas in July is 96, the low is 77.

Texas has the same summer afternoon thunderstorm issues as Florida. I have sat numerous times on flights from Houston and Dallas, waiting for the storms to pass.

FrozenDad
How are you connected to water polo?: Confused father

Postby FrozenDad » Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:34 pm

I have been wondering about this for a while: what are the chances that we have JOs next summer? Obviously, impossible to know, but a question I would love to have answered is: when does USAWP have to decide JOs are a go or a no-go. If the deadline is March, I think that the chances are under 50%. But I could imagine infection rates dropping in May, and that California would open up. As a side note, we are in hockey territory, and youth hockey is going on like nothing is wrong. Unfortunately, this has also resulted in clusters of COVID outbreaks in our area--mostly in the middle schools--which have not only impacted the hockey kids, but everyone that they have been coming into contact with. Knock wood, the water polo boys and girls have been fine, as have football, soccer, lacrosse....but hockey has been a mess.

retiredguy
How are you connected to water polo?: Former player, fan

Postby retiredguy » Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:17 pm

FrozenDad wrote:I have been wondering about this for a while: what are the chances that we have JOs next summer? Obviously, impossible to know, but a question I would love to have answered is: when does USAWP have to decide JOs are a go or a no-go. If the deadline is March, I think that the chances are under 50%. But I could imagine infection rates dropping in May, and that California would open up. As a side note, we are in hockey territory, and youth hockey is going on like nothing is wrong. Unfortunately, this has also resulted in clusters of COVID outbreaks in our area--mostly in the middle schools--which have not only impacted the hockey kids, but everyone that they have been coming into contact with. Knock wood, the water polo boys and girls have been fine, as have football, soccer, lacrosse....but hockey has been a mess.

If I worked at USAWP I’d be working on acquiring the ability to rapid test athletes and fans for JOs. This is the future of sports during this current climate. By next summer we should have the access and ability to test people in 15 minutes for admittance into the games.

This is all assuming that we don’t have a viable vaccine at some point.

jhwp

Postby jhwp » Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:40 am

Honestly if USAWP had a can-do attitude, and solved problems rather than just passively allowing itself to be victimized by California's indifference, we all would've been playing by now.

Enough with ridiculous excuses about number of pools (Arizona Florida Texas easily have enough), lightning, heat... honestly people COME ON, we all know those aren't real impediments, but the attitude of immediately reaching for any excuse is why we are in this situation.

CALL OR EMAIL USAWP TODAY AND DEMAND THEY FIND A WAY TO GET KIDS PLAYING REAL POLO IMMEDIATELY. NO MORE SILENCE, NO MORE WAIT AND SEE, NO MORE ASKING FOR DONATIONS, MAKE IT HAPPEN.

Engine9
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan and player

Postby Engine9 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:36 am

USAWP focus now through the next Olympics is finding away to fund the national programs that just went broke.

Men’s team is meeting and training Greece.

Youth water polo will be secondary until next Olympic cycle is over.

Would be a waste of a chaotic event if we returned to how things were!

Time for new federation that can focus on the sport and youth development. Not just team USA. Not their fault usawp is small company.

jhwp

Postby jhwp » Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:07 pm

One way to NOT fund the national teams is to ignore your number one revenue source, namely youth programs, and their associated donors.

It just doesn't take that much creativity or leg work to host a few weekend tournaments in Arizona. Forget about JOs, have game days at a handful of pools with a handful of clubs. Other youth sports are doing it, so why not water polo clubs? Answer - because USAWP will not give even its tacit blessing, and clubs are rightly afraid that without that blessing their actions could be construed as negligent in a lawsuit. Clubs and high schools in the northeast are playing, high schools in California are starting practices, but California clubs are at a standstill waiting for assurances they can proceed without risking lawsuits.

Return to “Age Group”