2020 season & redshirt/Olympic-year predictions

Womens College Water Polo

Moderators: LBDad, LBDad, LBDad

LimeyPoloDad
How are you connected to water polo?: Former player & coach, now a polo dad

Re: 2020 season & redshirt/Olympic-year predictions

Postby LimeyPoloDad » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:29 pm

TCoach wrote:13 on the total and on the bench as of this week's announcement. No change from 2016
I thought the reason why they were going from 13 to 11 players was to add 2 teams.

Does that mean they won't be adding 2 teams for 2020?

polo45
How are you connected to water polo?: Coach

Postby polo45 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:47 am

The Olympics will be 11 per roster for both men & women. The women have added two teams but the Olympic committee did not want to add the number of athletes in the Olympic village. My understanding is that there will be 11 athletes & 2 alternates, who can be used if there is an injury, on each team. The alternates won’t be in staying in the Olympic village.

https://www.waterpology.com/ioc-executi ... o-rosters/

TCoach
How are you connected to water polo?: Player, Coach, WPP Home Page Contributor

Postby TCoach » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:27 pm

Ah yes, IOC is not FINA. FINA just made the recommendation to the IOC.

With the new rules, specifically the one about impeding a player from behind who is holding the ball inside the 6m, expect more penalties. At least one of the WC games (Japan vs someone?) had a team with 16 ejections. That could mean 5 players sitting on the bench with only 5 in the field. For a sport that routinely has players ineligible to return to the game, this seems a little dumb. Soccer can only sub 3 times in the whole game and has 7 subs available. Take away 1 sub and that's 28 bodies right there.

CDNWPFan
How are you connected to water polo?: I'm a fan.

Postby CDNWPFan » Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:04 am

Seeing that the season is starting this weekend for some of the teams I figured this would be a good time to revive this thread. Here is my prediction for top 10

USC
Stanford
UCLA
CAL
UCI
Davis
UCSB
Hawaii
Arizona
Michigan

-32H20polo
How are you connected to water polo?: fan

Postby -32H20polo » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:38 pm

Does anyone have the teams and who is red- shirting from each team listed? Both Olympic red shirt and injury or just a red shirt? I think it would be interesting to see. It would also interesting to see who teams with a large number of Olympic red shirts recruited for this year and what those players will actually bring to fill the void.

attackerpolo9
How are you connected to water polo?: Former player and coach, passionate fan of the game.

Postby attackerpolo9 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:25 pm

-32H20polo wrote:Does anyone have the teams and who is red- shirting from each team listed? Both Olympic red shirt and injury or just a red shirt? I think it would be interesting to see. It would also interesting to see who teams with a large number of Olympic red shirts recruited for this year and what those players will actually bring to fill the void.
You can visit the team's roster websites on your own. It is all listed there.

-32H20polo
How are you connected to water polo?: fan

Postby -32H20polo » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:23 am

attackerpolo9 wrote:
-32H20polo wrote:Does anyone have the teams and who is red- shirting from each team listed? Both Olympic red shirt and injury or just a red shirt? I think it would be interesting to see. It would also interesting to see who teams with a large number of Olympic red shirts recruited for this year and what those players will actually bring to fill the void.
You can visit the team's roster websites on your own. It is all listed there.
Aren't you just a nice person. I was trying to start a conversation. I also know that many of the people post all the time have most likely done something like comparing. Not sure why you were nasty.
It is kinda fun to see and hear what other think about the strategy of the teams. I was only trying to start some talking on that.