The remaining 2020 season?

Womens College Water Polo

Moderators: LBDad, LBDad, LBDad

CapeFear
How are you connected to water polo?: Player

Re: The remaining 2020 season?

Postby CapeFear » Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:32 pm

There are models in all aspects of society to predict the future via data outcomes be it the stock market, oil prices, healthcare viruses or probability of war. They have enough data to see how the virus spread in many counties under top down authoritative Govts. like China and responding too late like Italy with higher percentages of deaths. In this video Governor Cuomo predicts how many hospital and ICU beds in New York alone will be needed within in the next 45 days, for the acutely sick which can range from 3-10% of the infected population. On the low end, 74,000 hospitalized and close to 150k on the high end. You can extrapolate the percentages to have 750k to over 1.1 million people in the state of New York with the virus within the next 45 days. As Governor pointed out and the Prime Minister of France, we need a national/international "war effort" to address the Virus. With no market ready vaccine for 12-18 months according to Dr. Anthony Fauci, U.S.’s top infectious-disease expert, who is in favor of a national lock-down
based on his research and what worked in China, S. Korea and now starting in Europe.

https://www.mediaite.com/politics/break ... n-45-days/

-32H20polo
How are you connected to water polo?: fan

Postby -32H20polo » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:39 am

retiredguy wrote:I’m definitely not disagreeing that it is entirely possible all these things get cancelled. I just think to sit here in March predicting that is fear mongering. We should avoid judgment until more time passes and be hopeful. At some point, society must continue and to say that HS/College Fall sports will be cancelled because of this is wrong. We can’t predict the future, but we can stay at home for now and try to help the situation.
I agree retiredguy. The statements that far out is just helping to spread the hysteria. This type of statement/rumors needs to stop. If people like to spread fear they need to stop they are only causing more problems. I agree with some cancellation in the present time but stating future is not fair or right.

Polodad

Postby Polodad » Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:35 pm

Hysteria is always bad. Opinion based an analysis of the data from around the world is generally helpful. Latest data point...Orange County CA just closed all the pools to prevent spread of the virus. This is a serious public health event. The data from China and South Korea indicates this takes months, not weeks, to subside. Plan accordingly.

CapeFear

Postby CapeFear » Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:12 pm

Data from US
https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics ... simulator/

A Call to Arms

If the number of cases were to continue to double every three days, there would be about a hundred million cases in the United States by May ( see article from WP) The World renown Robert Foch Institute in Germany predicts 10 million infected in Germany within 4 weeks. The UK laggard, Boris Johnson has come around that after scared straight by the published study by Epidemiologist -the only mechanism to slow the spread — is a national lock down, which is not happening in the U.S.

Follow what the epidemiologist are saying from around the world as well as Harvard’s, Dr. Mark Lipsitch not the noise of wishful thinking coming from the WH. This is not hysteria but a call to arms. As was parroted by the White House, this is a War ... against a hidden enemy, which the U.S. is completely ill-prepared for in addition to cutting out the department to address Pandemics, created by the Obama administration. With a military budget greater than the rest of the World combined, now is the time to allocate the necessary resources to fight this war which will claim more American lives than all the previous wars combined.

poloredux
How are you connected to water polo?: fan and observer

Postby poloredux » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:50 am

A big thanks to CapeFear.

This is not hysteria. This is real. And sticking your head in the sand about it is not helping. These aren’t rumors, this isn’t a hoax. Look at what’s happening around the world, and now closer to home in the states. The west coast will be effectively shut down for the foreseeable future because their governments are making the correct calls, informing the public and being honest about what we have to do NOW to protect the future. This isn’t fear stoking, this is our new reality.

retiredguy
How are you connected to water polo?: Former player, fan

Postby retiredguy » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:08 am

Sorry but not one person on here that has commented is sticking their head in the sand. We all understand the severity of this issue and are in total agreement that government officials are doing the right thing to stop the spread of this virus.

My only comment continues to be that we need not speculate about what will happen in September in regards to sports. That is 6 months from now and a lot will change between now and then. Most communities have gone to shelter in place now in California and I would hope people will listen.

-32H20polo
How are you connected to water polo?: fan

Postby -32H20polo » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:47 am

retiredguy wrote:Sorry but not one person on here that has commented is sticking their head in the sand. We all understand the severity of this issue and are in total agreement that government officials are doing the right thing to stop the spread of this virus.

My only comment continues to be that we need not speculate about what will happen in September in regards to sports. That is 6 months from now and a lot will change between now and then. Most communities have gone to shelter in place now in California and I would hope people will listen.
Thank you retiredguy. NO ONE is sticking their head in the ground. I also 100% agree going as far out as September is a little much right now. And hysteria, yes people are causing this, just look around and see it in the stores. People sit back listen to directions and follow those directions. Many colleagues, doctors are stating stay away from work and people if you are sick(should be followed at normal times as well), learn to wash your hands the correct way (people should have been doing this in normal times), The high at risk, prior medical conditions and elderly, need our help and have them stay away indoors. The new thing of practicing "social distancing" in different. But that is because those that cannot or will not stay in when sick are spreading this faster. I am hearing from the generation of under 30's saying this is dumb and closing bars is not fair. I see some still going to "spring break" That generation needs to grow up and listen. sorry for the rant but I am tired, over worked and have elderly, high risk family members that I am concerned about.

poloredux
How are you connected to water polo?: fan and observer

Postby poloredux » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:41 am

retiredguy wrote:Cape Fear, it is entirely possible that the Olympics get cancelled or moved back...however, the amount of fear about the future has already caused the cancellation of way too many events. This is a day-by-day, week-by-week, month-by-month situation. The number of new cases went down a lot yesterday after many government officials encouraged extreme social distancing and/or shelter in place.
The US numbers are NOT going down.

CapeFear

Postby CapeFear » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:16 pm

Unfortunately, the U.S. will be the Epicenter of the Covid-19 Pandemic within the next week or less. The next 4 weeks will be devastating to New York and California is projected to be worse. National Lock-down is a necessity not talking about sitting in the Pews on Easter.
poloredux wrote:
retiredguy wrote:Cape Fear, it is entirely possible that the Olympics get cancelled or moved back...however, the amount of fear about the future has already caused the cancellation of way too many events. This is a day-by-day, week-by-week, month-by-month situation. The number of new cases went down a lot yesterday after many government officials encouraged extreme social distancing and/or shelter in place.
The US numbers are NOT going down.
https://www.ft.com/coronavirus-latest