Major Fouls class

Water Polo Referee Training at Water Polo Academy

Moderators: LBDad, LBDad, LBDad

DanaWB

Major Fouls class

Postby DanaWB » Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:08 pm

I successfully avoided taking any Water Polo Academy classes until now and am enrolled in the Major Fouls Class taught by Mark Maretzki and Loren Bertocci. My problem with the concept was that refereeing is an active endeavor and I (as well as others) had previously believed that training could only take place on the pool deck. This class has been difficult, intense, and eye opening. All I can say is WOW. I commend the Water Polo Academy people for getting it right.

Contrary to what I believed going in, this is not a class that tells you how to officiate. It is a class that teaches you to look at the game differently-from the perspective of the intentions of the rulemakers. It does not ask you what you would do in Situation A but asks why you would do it and what the ramifications of the call would be.

It has been a great experience and I will come out of it a much better official.

LABertocci
How are you connected to water polo?: Professional Educator

Re: Major Fouls class

Postby LABertocci » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:38 pm

First of all, I am flattered. Thank you. This instructional paradigm is the product of my experiences over many years (too many!) of both frustration with referee training and my formal (professional) educational training. That you found it valuable is very gratifying. Again, I am flattered and thank you for the kind words.

However, I would be remiss if I did not make the following point: the QUALITY of the experience is mostly due to the QUALITY of the inputs from the instructors. I am EXTREMELY fortunate to have a solid corps of instructors who have embraced the instructional paradigm and are willing to dedicate an ENORMOUS amount of time (generally 4-6 hours per day over the majority of the six days of each course) and energy to providing this instruction. And, let me assure you, and all of you, that they do not do this for the $$. You would probably be embarrassed to know know little they get paid per hour. Thus, as flattered as I am, the praise needs to go to Mark Maretzki, Russ Thompson, Don Holbrook, Mike Reid, Allen Lorentzen, and Jack Horton, for doing what they do. This would be impossible, and thus a complete failure, without their efforts.
Loren A. Bertocci
Director, Water Polo Academy