USA water polo ODP HOLIDAY CAMP

USA Water Polo Olympic Development Program
dzeep
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan

USA water polo ODP HOLIDAY CAMP

Postby dzeep » Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:57 pm

Let's hear what this camp is all about. USA water polo promoting this camp over the holidays each year.

What are pros and cons of this camp?

Serious players, serious coaching? Or just another way to raise funds?

Has this camp gotten better over the years?

2plyBathingSuit
How are you connected to water polo?: I personally played in High School and College.
Love the sport.

Re: USA water polo ODP HOLIDAY CAMP

Postby 2plyBathingSuit » Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:36 pm

dzeep wrote:Let's hear what this camp is all about. USA water polo promoting this camp over the holidays each year.

Great way to see Colorado Springs...nice little mini vacation. Don't know if it's there this year but if it is (See below)

Don't know of any pro's. Con's are is it's usually pretty cold. Dorms are sub-par. Indoor pool that tends to be always super-chlorinated. Overcrowded due to the number of kids. A few "serious kids"...very few "serious coaches".

Overall rating: 1-10 with 10 being best...4

I have no idea if it's gotten better over the years.

dzeep
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan

Postby dzeep » Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:14 am

2plyBathingSuit wrote:
dzeep wrote:Let's hear what this camp is all about. USA water polo promoting this camp over the holidays each year.

Great way to see Colorado Springs...nice little mini vacation. Don't know if it's there this year but if it is (See below)

Don't know of any pro's. Con's are is it's usually pretty cold. Dorms are sub-par. Indoor pool that tends to be always super-chlorinated. Overcrowded due to the number of kids. A few "serious kids"...very few "serious coaches".

Overall rating: 1-10 with 10 being best...4

I have no idea if it's gotten better over the years.

Thanks for the info.

Love the 'super chlorinated' and 'very few serious coaches' comment!!

Paging John Abdou, paging John Abdou...... :)

Sunburned Poolside
How are you connected to water polo?: D) All of the above

Postby Sunburned Poolside » Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:53 pm

When I was there in 2011, it was a fantastic experience. Some quality players and coaches attended: Dunstan, both ***'s, Mactavish, Travisano to name a few. Baron and the Walters' were there as players in the water helping. Food was amazing and many athletes from other sports were there as it was leading into the Summer Olympics. Coaching was a run down of the ODP system. Most of the kids I talked to enjoyed the camp, though it may not have been as advanced as some people would have liked.

And yes, it was cold and snowing, but most were wearing shorts by the last day after getting acclimated.

2plyBathingSuit
How are you connected to water polo?: I personally played in High School and College.
Love the sport.

Postby 2plyBathingSuit » Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:02 pm

Yea...wasn't that good in 2013
Sunburned Poolside wrote:When I was there in 2011, it was a fantastic experience. Some quality players and coaches attended: Dunstan, both ***'s, Mactavish, Travisano to name a few. Baron and the Walters' were there as players in the water helping. Food was amazing and many athletes from other sports were there as it was leading into the Summer Olympics. Coaching was a run down of the ODP system. Most of the kids I talked to enjoyed the camp, though it may not have been as advanced as some people would have liked.

And yes, it was cold and snowing, but most were wearing shorts by the last day after getting acclimated.

I was there in 2013. I will admit we had a great time going up on the Pikes Peak Cog Railway. That was totally awesome. 40 degrees at the base and -1 at the top with a view to die for.

Return to “Olympic Development Program”