Womens College Water Polo

Moderators: LBDad, LBDad, LBDad

sonkers
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan

Re: 2020 Season

Postby sonkers » Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:35 pm

Any updates?

Schoolyards
How are you connected to water polo?: Father of a college player, High School Coach

Postby Schoolyards » Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:03 pm

UCSB-5
CSULB-4
Half

SwimCoach
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan, Instructor, Lifelong Swimmer

Postby SwimCoach » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:37 pm

UCLA beats USC 7-5 to win the UCSD Triton Invitational. Freshman Abbi Hill with 2 goals.

Schoolyards
How are you connected to water polo?: Father of a college player, High School Coach

Postby Schoolyards » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:07 pm

A few takeaways from the weekend tournament (full disclosure, just my opinion as a parent)

Indiana can be a tough out at times, if you play poorly, they can win.
UCSD looks like they are poised for a solid season, Brad has them playing well.
If ASU can play more consistent, they can be a top 4 team. They played with confidence especially after the win against UCI.
UCSB struggled, a 3-2 win against SDSU and big loss to UCI means they they need to improve. They may need more depth.
UCD looked idle, they lost in sudden death to Indiana (hence my comment above)
UCI gave up a big lead to ASU and lost by 1. That was their only hiccup. I expect them to be fine going forward.
USC was challenged hard by UCSD. That being said, SC is big, fast and strong, they're good!
UCLA is outstanding, no new info here!

As for the others who played, I only saw CSULB, CSUN & Santa Clara some but not much of the others so I can't comment on them. Fun weekend, we all got wet on Sunday though, players and fans, ha!

ruin4life
How are you connected to water polo?: water polo parent and fan of the sport

Postby ruin4life » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:24 am

Abbi Hill (Freshman, UCLA) looks to be the early favorite for Player of the Year.

lopcroix
How are you connected to water polo?: Parent of a college player

Postby lopcroix » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:00 pm

stickman wrote: The CWPA poll we all look at is a coaches poll. Most of the time it's pretty accurate, however; it's really just based on how the coaches voting 'feel at the time.' (And coaches can vote for their own teams.)
This season these factors seem especially strong, and this week's poll seems especially wacky. Salem, George Washington and Santa Clara showed up on the poll this week with RV but I can't see anything in their results that support top 25 performance.

redleader
How are you connected to water polo?: Former player

Postby redleader » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:50 pm

This weeks varsity polls for those who haven't seen them yet.

https://collegiatewaterpolo.org/polls/2 ... bruary-12/

Schoolyards

Postby Schoolyards » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:28 pm

lopcroix wrote:
stickman wrote: The CWPA poll we all look at is a coaches poll. Most of the time it's pretty accurate, however; it's really just based on how the coaches voting 'feel at the time.' (And coaches can vote for their own teams.)
This season these factors seem especially strong, and this week's poll seems especially wacky. Salem, George Washington and Santa Clara showed up on the poll this week with RV but I can't see anything in their results that support top 25 performance.
Honestly, after watching many games this season at the SB, SD & UCLA tournaments, I see a few teams ranked below UCSB that that may have an issue with these rankings as well.

redleader
How are you connected to water polo?: Former player

Postby redleader » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:25 pm

Fresno State played Stanford this past weekend and kept it close all the way until the end. Stanford won 8-6

Numbers
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan

Postby Numbers » Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:28 pm

Hello, I am relatively new to wpp and have some questions about NCAA water polo stats and if there is one source of the truth. I think I understand that the Fosh captures data from submitted game sheets to track conference standings, player stats, etc. At the recent Triton Invitational UCLA got a MPSF conference win credit for beating ASU but not for their finals victory over USC? I also noted that certain teams seemed to have updated the Fosh after the fact with player stats that were not captured in the game sheet. Is it up to the individual teams to register with The Fosh and submit or directly enter additional stats (if they tracked them or reviewed video afterwards) like goalie saves, assists, drawn exclusions and steals when the hosting scoresheet officials do not? Thanks in advance for any enlightenment.

Inwp
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan, former player

Postby Inwp » Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:43 pm

Barbara Kalbus Invitational is this weekend, AKA the biggest tournament of the regular season.

SCHEDULE: https://ucirvinesports.com/sports/2020/ ... -page.aspx

Looking forward to some potentially great games this weekend. Two games that should be good tomorrow... Michigan vs. Cal & UCSD vs. UCSB.

-32H20polo
How are you connected to water polo?: fan

Postby -32H20polo » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:18 am

I thought this past weekend at UCI was very interesting. I was a little shocked at some teams. Some played better than I expected and it was nice to see. Some others not so well. What is going on at Cal and UOP?

Tuco
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan and Parent of 2 D1 players.

Postby Tuco » Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:59 pm

-32H20polo wrote:I thought this past weekend at UCI was very interesting. I was a little shocked at some teams. Some played better than I expected and it was nice to see. Some others not so well. What is going on at Cal and UOP?
Championship game was crazy, complete domination by USC.

Congratulations to Michigan, a big win against Cal, took UCI to the wire and notched the third victory of the year against Santa Barbara.

I thought the tournament was well run by UCI but where were all the home team students/fans?

retiredguy
How are you connected to water polo?: Former player, fan

Postby retiredguy » Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:40 pm

-32H20polo wrote:I thought this past weekend at UCI was very interesting. I was a little shocked at some teams. Some played better than I expected and it was nice to see. Some others not so well. What is going on at Cal and UOP?
Lots of Olympic year redshirts at both...UOP is redshirting their entire starting lineup including goalie.

Schoolyards

Postby Schoolyards » Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:55 pm

Tuco wrote:
Championship game was crazy, complete domination by USC.

Congratulations to Michigan, a big win against Cal, took UCI to the wire and notched the third victory of the year against Santa Barbara.

I thought the tournament was well run by UCI but where were all the home team students/fans?
I agree, Michigan appears better then their record so far. It wasn't surprising to USC win, they have a very deep team and after losing to UCLA at the Triton invitational, they had extra motivation. I will say, SC defends very well. I thought UCI was impressive (even though it was close against MI) they competed as well as any team versus USC and won big versus AZ but again had extra motivation after the 1 goal loss in SD. The top 5 rankings should be obvious but the next 10 should be interesting, I expect lots of movement.