2022 Season

Womens College Water Polo

Moderators: LBDad, LBDad, LBDad

SwimCoach
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan, Instructor, Lifelong Swimmer

Re: 2022 Season

Postby SwimCoach » Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:43 pm

jeff wrote:Laguna Beach High School had four players on the eight-person all-newcomer team. I haven't checked the historical records, but it seems unlikely that any high school has had four players on one all-newcomer team before.
The team also included three foreigners including Baksa, who should have also been 1st Team All-MPSF IMHO. Not sure what more she could have done this year for ASU. It took the team a few games to get going, but she really turned it in the second half of the year and led the MPSF in goals, assists and scoring.

DinsdalePiranha
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan

Postby DinsdalePiranha » Sun Apr 24, 2022 1:07 am

UCI played well in the Big West championship game, really enjoyed Femke Aan as the color commentator, great game knowledge and as a former UH player, was very neutral in her call
he nailed your head to the floor? Wol, e ad to, I ad transgressed the unwritten law...

OCPoloDad

Postby OCPoloDad » Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:21 am

DinsdalePiranha wrote:UCI played well in the Big West championship game, really enjoyed Femke Aan as the color commentator, great game knowledge and as a former UH player, was very neutral in her call
Congrats UCI winning BW and making it to the National Championships. And winning BW in Hawaii with Rowe as Head Coach in the Final.

2plyBathingSuit
How are you connected to water polo?: I personally played in High School and College.
Love the sport.

Postby 2plyBathingSuit » Sun Apr 24, 2022 5:45 pm

$6.95 to watch the women's MPSF final? You'd think USC and Stanford could absorb the costs of livestream.

OCPoloDad

Postby OCPoloDad » Sun Apr 24, 2022 7:34 pm

Congratulations Stanford for winning MPSF. Down 1 early in 4th, Stanford X factor players come up big; pretty impressive win. Since Cal beat UCLA for 3rd place, curious whom the at large will be?

Krew
How are you connected to water polo?: coach

Postby Krew » Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:45 pm

Cal beating UCLA not good news for Hawaii

WPhan
How are you connected to water polo?: College Water Polo fan

Postby WPhan » Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:43 pm

USC's Spring Football game was broadcast on one of the ESPN channels so you'd think the big $$ from that would help underwrite a water polo broadcast. I think the broadcasting rights to the game were from the MPSF rather than the Pac-12.

homesteadjoe
How are you connected to water polo?: Player

Postby homesteadjoe » Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:06 am

I hope Coach Klatt and his family are doing okay, from the press conference whatever happened sounded serious.

newtothisgame
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan and parent of a high school player.

Postby newtothisgame » Tue May 10, 2022 12:49 pm

SwimCoach wrote:Glad to see women's water polo starting again. I hope to take in a few of the college games at UCSB in-between the high school games in the Tournament of Champions.

Outside of the fantastic draft thread, there is not much action here, so I thought that I would share my top 10 list for the upcoming year. I am going out on a limb and putting Cal in my Top 3.

1 Stanford: Easily the most talented team in the country. I feel that they have three of the top 5 players in the country in Makenzie and Aria Fischer and Ryann Neushul. Harbilas, Roemer and Constandse round out a superb group of field players. I anticipate Roemer scoring a ton of goals this years with teams focusing on the Fischers and Neushul. With Avital in goal, their starting lineup does not have a weakness. Not sure how deep their talent is.

2 USC: They are losing a lot of talent in Megens, Mammolito, Bakoc and McIntosh, but the return of Hauschild, Aznar and Kearns will definitely help. Weber, Tehaney and Guiral are very talented players and I anticipate Janov playing a bigger role this year. Freshman Vandeweghe-O'Shea should contribute immediately. Their starting field players are extremely strong. I have not seen goalie Stern play much and their bench does not seem to be as deep and talented as in the past.

3 Cal: Joustra would make my list of top 5 players and Protopapas and Wright combine to make a fantastic trio. Dempsey, Whitney, Turner, Raisin and Reynoso give Simmons some solid choices to round out their starters. They have a deep roster so it will be interesting to see who else steps up this year.

4 UCLA: Musselmann coming back will be a huge a big boost to them and is obviously one of the best players in the world. Hill has the talent to be an elite player and Johnson, Ayala, Allen and Palmer and goalie Philips are all very solid players. They seem to have an extremely deep bench.

5 UCI: Prentice is one of the top 10 players in the country in my opinion and Flynn and Smith are very solid players. I anticipate all three scoring lots of goals this year. Their starting team is very solid. Not sure how deep their talent goes.

6 Hawaii: Lots of foreign talent and I expect big things out of Gomez de la Puente and Stertefeld this year. Lemay-Lavoie is very experienced and a handful at center.

7 Michigan: Maddy Steere is an outstanding player and O'Reilly has great experience.

8 ASU: Petrovary is a great scorer and Van Buren is one of the better centers in the country and definitely overlooked. Baca is solid in goal.

9 Indiana: As others have mentioned, Dodson definitely has this program pointed int he right direction, but I am not sure if they have enough talent to play with the top teams.

10 Fresno State: Benson is a fantastic coach and always seems to get the most out of her players.
I really enjoyed the women’s season this year. The level of play seemed much higher with the return of the US and international women who had been training the last two years with their National Teams.

SwimCoach: It looks like you were pretty spot on with your prognostication. Care to make any early pics for 2023?

jeff
How are you connected to water polo?: I am a fan.

Postby jeff » Thu Jun 02, 2022 7:16 pm

As expected, the Association of Collegiate Water Polo Coaches named Makenzie Fischer the player of the year and John Tanner the coach of the year.

https://collegiatewaterpolo.org/2022-as ... -released/

Rational

Postby Rational » Fri Jun 03, 2022 11:33 am

This voting practice has to change, it is just a bunch of horse-trading for votes. Marist has 6 All-Americans?????
Marist is deeper than Stanford??? They lost to them 22-5!!
Marist (6) is deeper than Arizona State (2), Fresno State (2), and Long Beach (1) - combined???
Harvard, San Diego State, and UC San Diego are all deeper than Hawaii???

What a joke

WaPoSaD

Postby WaPoSaD » Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:34 pm

I admit that looked strange. The theory that it's horse-trading seems off, though; why would Marist (six selections) be able to horse-trade, for example, but LIU and La Salle (one selection each) be unable to do so? It also bears mention that the overwhelming majority (and perhaps all) of the objections one might make to inclusion on the list are in the very deep (roughly sixty person) "Honorable Mention" category. I can see the argument for casting a wide net beyond the "Big Four" in this category. Especially since I strongly doubt that if you're the, say, sixth best player on Stanford, and hence not on the list this year, it's somehow the end of your world to not make the Honorable Mention category -- even if someone on Marist you think you're clearly better than is. (I had also wondered if the various conferences were each given a certain number of players to include, or that seniors were given preferences in the selection process, but took a quick look and was unable to confirm either of these "it's-not-horse-trading" alternatives.)

In the end, given the quite skewed distribution/concentration of talent in our sport at the collegiate level, it likely comes down to a value judgment as to whether to give the best performers at traditionally overlooked schools a preference when filling out the "Honorable Mention" category. As opposed to, say, putting the entire Stanford squad on the list. I can see why someone might make the former call -- entirely without the need for horse trading.
Last edited by WaPoSaD on Fri Jun 03, 2022 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rational

Postby Rational » Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:20 pm

What does this say about Vidale as a coach to have 6 All-Americans and still lose as much as Marist did? Has anyone ever lost as many games by such wide margins with such a "deep" talent pool?

Just think, Marist v Harvard (which Harvard won 20-8) had more All Americans playing (10) than UCLA's OT win v. ASU (9).
San Diego State v UCSD had more talent (8) than the Big West Championship game - Hawaii v Irvine (6)

Here's how it works - coaches nominate their kids - they then get 15 or so votes to vote on the nominated field of kids (Can't vote for own kids). If you get 2 votes, you're an Honorable mention. The more votes you get, the higher team you are.

So Coach A calls up Coach B and Coach C and says "if you both vote for player ABC and DEF from my school (A), I'll vote for your players UVW & XYZ at school B and MNO & PQR at school C." So all 3 coaches piss away 4 votes each and viola - 2 Honorable Mention All-American each for schools A, B, & C.

Then Coach A calls up Coach D and Coach E and runs the same drill, but this time with 2 different players from school A - GHI and JKL - now coach A has 4 Honorable Mention All-Americans and coaches D and E also got 2 in the process.

Any team punching outside of it's weight class is horse-trading - there's no other way to get that many coaches to recognize your players given the limited votes. LIU & La Salle could have more All-Americans if they were willing to horse trade, I suppose some coaches are just disgusted by it and won't participate in the unethical scam.

Justafan22
How are you connected to water polo?: Just a fan of WP

Postby Justafan22 » Fri Jun 03, 2022 3:51 pm

Rational wrote:What does this say about Vidale as a coach to have 6 All-Americans and still lose as much as Marist did? Has anyone ever lost as many games by such wide margins with such a "deep" talent pool?

Just think, Marist v Harvard (which Harvard won 20-8) had more All Americans playing (10) than UCLA's OT win v. ASU (9).
San Diego State v UCSD had more talent (8) than the Big West Championship game - Hawaii v Irvine (6)

Here's how it works - coaches nominate their kids - they then get 15 or so votes to vote on the nominated field of kids (Can't vote for own kids). If you get 2 votes, you're an Honorable mention. The more votes you get, the higher team you are.

So Coach A calls up Coach B and Coach C and says "if you both vote for player ABC and DEF from my school (A), I'll vote for your players UVW & XYZ at school B and MNO & PQR at school C." So all 3 coaches piss away 4 votes each and viola - 2 Honorable Mention All-American each for schools A, B, & C.

Then Coach A calls up Coach D and Coach E and runs the same drill, but this time with 2 different players from school A - GHI and JKL - now coach A has 4 Honorable Mention All-Americans and coaches D and E also got 2 in the process.

Any team punching outside of it's weight class is horse-trading - there's no other way to get that many coaches to recognize your players given the limited votes. LIU & La Salle could have more All-Americans if they were willing to horse trade, I suppose some coaches are just disgusted by it and won't participate in the unethical scam.
ONe way would be for the coaches not to be the ones that do the voting?

Ot just leave it as is and no big deal. The players themselves know, who is playing where, and who the best players are

CPR

Postby CPR » Sat Jun 04, 2022 3:49 pm

Nope. No horse trading. Every player that was nominated earned an award (1st, 2nd, 3rd team or HM). A lot of schools simply didn’t nominate many players…Marist did.

The better way to get a more accurate representation would be to do away with nominations. Just have coaches vote on who they think are the best players.
Or allow the media to select.
Water polo isn’t like other sports though. This sport is full of big fishes in a very little pond and they all want their recognition.
Coach/Player/Ref