what is going on with UCSB water polo?

Womens College Water Polo

Moderators: LBDad, LBDad, LBDad

wpolo93
How are you connected to water polo?: fan

Re: what is going on with UCSB water polo?

Postby wpolo93 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:36 pm

12 true freshmen and and 7 RS freshmen on the roster of 26. No seniors. 5 RS juniors and 2 RS sophomores.

Justafan22
How are you connected to water polo?: Just a fan of WP

Postby Justafan22 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:58 am

wpolo93 wrote:12 true freshmen and and 7 RS freshmen on the roster of 26. No seniors. 5 RS juniors and 2 RS sophomores.
Wow that's a young roster. Where did all the upperclassmen go? That many graduated in the last couple years? So out of 26 players 19 have no playing experience?
Apparently a few have quit. Are they included in your numbers or was the putting exagerated on this forum?

SwimCoach
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan, Instructor, Lifelong Swimmer

Postby SwimCoach » Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:24 am

Justafan22 wrote:
wpolo93 wrote:Wow that's a young roster. Where did all the upperclassmen go? That many graduated in the last couple years? So out of 26 players 19 have no playing experience?
Apparently a few have quit. Are they included in your numbers or was the putting exagerated on this forum?
I believe that all 7 of their RS freshman played in their abbreviated 8 game season last year. Also, their three returning juniors are listed as RS juniors and not seniors. It looks like everyone who played on the team last year is counting it as a RS season.
Last edited by SwimCoach on Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

wpolo93

Postby wpolo93 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:45 am

Justafan22 wrote:
Wow that's a young roster. Where did all the upperclassmen go? That many graduated in the last couple years? So out of 26 players 19 have no playing experience?
Last year, the team had 11 freshmen, 8 sophomores, 2 RS sophomores, 6 juniors, and 1 senior (28 players on the roster)
This year, the team has 12 freshmen, 7 RS freshmen, 2 RD sophomores, and 5 RS juniors (26 players on the roster).
Out of 27 non-seniors from last year 14 stayed, it seems.

Justafan22

Postby Justafan22 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:43 pm

wpolo93 wrote:
Justafan22 wrote:
Last year, the team had 11 freshmen, 8 sophomores, 2 RS sophomores, 6 juniors, and 1 senior (28 players on the roster)
This year, the team has 12 freshmen, 7 RS freshmen, 2 RD sophomores, and 5 RS juniors (26 players on the roster).
So the report that maybe up to 13 players had quit the team, I take it may have been exaggerated and were talked back onto the team, possibly?

wpolo93

Postby wpolo93 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:05 pm

Justafan22 wrote:
wpolo93 wrote: Last year, the team had 11 freshmen, 8 sophomores, 2 RS sophomores, 6 juniors, and 1 senior (28 players on the roster)
So the report that maybe up to 13 players had quit the team, I take it may have been exaggerated and were talked back onto the team, possibly?
27-14=13, no?

It looks like 13 kids are no longer with the program.
Perhaps even 14 depending on whether the lone senior from last year initially planned to stay for one more year.

Justafan22

Postby Justafan22 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:28 pm

wpolo93 wrote:
Justafan22 wrote:
wpolo93 wrote: Last year, the team had 11 freshmen, 8 sophomores, 2 RS sophomores, 6 juniors, and 1 senior (28 players on the roster)
27-14=13, no?

It looks like 13 kids are no longer with the program.
Perhaps even 14 depending on whether the lone senior from last year initially planned to stay for one more year.
OK I see, so these are players that were on the team last year, and did not come back to the team this school year, and are still possibly enrolled at UCSB. I guess this explains how many new recruits they brought in

I thought somebody meant that after starting this year in September, during preseason, 13 of this year's players, got out and quit. Meaning they had close to 40 on roster, like the men did, and 13 left. ( i guess 40 would have been crazy)

wpolo93

Postby wpolo93 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:34 pm

I have no clue when those kids decided to quit. It is possible that some were on the team this Fall but then stopped.

Anyway, UCSB is a quality school in a nice location but retention seems to have been a problem lately.

H20 polo Dad
How are you connected to water polo?: Parent

Postby H20 polo Dad » Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:06 pm

Fifteen and counting. Two more quality players/girls have quit the team this week due to Coach Kay's abusive, narcissistic behavior and UCSB continues to ignore the problem. A poster mentioned earlier that perhaps USCB did not fire Coach Kay because they were concerned about a wrongful termination lawsuit as in the case with Kathy Neushul. All I have to say to that is, it goes both ways. The school has an obligation to protect the girls from retaliation, a hostile environment, discrimination and disparaging treatment. The girls who merely told the truth when questioned (Whistleblowers) are now being retaliated against by Serela Kay and UCSB continues to bury their head in the sand. So much for the Conflict Resolution mediator, apparently Serela didn't think it applied to her.

cbarrot

Postby cbarrot » Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:41 pm

H20 polo Dad wrote:Fifteen and counting. Two more quality players/girls have quit the team this week due to Coach Kay's abusive, narcissistic behavior and UCSB continues to ignore the problem. A poster mentioned earlier that perhaps USCB did not fire Coach Kay because they were concerned about a wrongful termination lawsuit as in the case with Kathy Neushul. All I have to say to that is, it goes both ways. The school has an obligation to protect the girls from retaliation, a hostile environment, discrimination and disparaging treatment. The girls who merely told the truth when questioned (Whistleblowers) are now being retaliated against by Serela Kay and UCSB continues to bury their head in the sand. So much for the Conflict Resolution mediator, apparently Serela didn't think it applied to her.
I have been reading this thread and If all this is in fact accurate, or somewhat accurate, where is the new AD in all this. I believe they hired a woman as new AD. How about assigning a person, to go sit and watch practices, without the coaching staff knowing who they are, and then reporting to the AD

H20 polo Dad

Postby H20 polo Dad » Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:00 pm

UPDATE: 3 more girls have quit bring the grand total to 15 from the beginning of the school year. The UCSB administration continues to bury their head in the sand and do nothing despite numerous complainants and an ongoing formal investigation.

2plyBathingSuit
How are you connected to water polo?: I personally played in High School and College.
Love the sport.

Postby 2plyBathingSuit » Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:46 am

UCSB has been a trash program for years...for men's AND women's waterpolo (please notice I'm suggesting the school itself is a trash school "in general"). I'm positive nobody is surprised by my opinion...especially Mr. Wigo himself.

OCPoloDad

Postby OCPoloDad » Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:59 pm

So doing the math, if true and 15 have left the program, then that would leave 12? So those left cant have a full scrimmage as there are not enough players. If all is true, and I have heard nothing to the contrary, a very unfortunate situation for those gone and those remaining.

wpolo93

Postby wpolo93 » Wed Apr 06, 2022 2:28 pm

I wrote in January (a few messages above):

"Last year, the team had 11 freshmen, 8 sophomores, 2 RS sophomores, 6 juniors, and 1 senior (28 players on the roster)
Out of 27 non-seniors from last year 14 stayed, it seems."

Even if two more players have left they still have about 25 kids on the roster. The question is why so many kids are leaving...

PoloNoNoz
How are you connected to water polo?: administrator, fan and sometimes coach

Postby PoloNoNoz » Wed Apr 06, 2022 3:40 pm

First Off, I have no skin in the game regarding UCSB and I'm late to the party but I do have a few questions. And these are questions not vailed reasons for the departures. Just trying to get a more informed idea of what is going on there.

After looking at the current UCSB roster there are 24 field players and three goalies listed. When comparing that to their Stat Sheet today, it appears that approximately 18 players have had a pretty active part in this season's games. Pretty much what you'd expect for a roster of this size. So, if there had been no departures of eligible players from this years team, how many players would have (could have) been on this team's roster? When you consider (except at USC) that generally most coaches feel a manageable roster number is in the 20 to 24 player range, was UCSB over-burdened with players? Is it possible that some players were leaving due to higher level of competition from incoming Freshman? Could this possibly have been made worse by the added Covid year of eligibility? Over the last five years there has been infighting between the men's and women's programs, could that have had an effect on the current situation?

I only ask these questions to get a clearer picture. With the coaching issues at USC, ASU and UCSB, a less than pretty picture is emerging regarding women's polo.