2022 NCAA Women's Championship

Womens College Water Polo

Moderators: LBDad, LBDad, LBDad

wpolo93
How are you connected to water polo?: fan

Re: 2022 NCAA Women's Championship

Postby wpolo93 » Fri May 06, 2022 3:18 pm

UCLA wins 8:7. UCLA had atrocious 6 on 5 in the first half. If they play like this tomorrow Stanford will go to the final.

NoSoloPolo
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan

Postby NoSoloPolo » Fri May 06, 2022 3:21 pm

NoSoloPolo wrote:I am watching the UCI v UCLA game...I dont know what others who watched the game think but I can't imagine the players or coaches were anticipating this officiating. I'm not saying all the calls are wrong, but it seems to be a different standard than the regular season.
I wanted to see the players play. Instead, it feels like I got to see how much the referees know.
As a fan of water polo, this was a good game but could have been much better.

As a coach or a player...I can't imagine their opinion on this one.

SwimCoach
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan, Instructor, Lifelong Swimmer

Postby SwimCoach » Fri May 06, 2022 3:57 pm

NoSoloPolo wrote:
NoSoloPolo wrote:I wanted to see the players play. Instead, it feels like I got to see how much the referees know.
As a fan of water polo, this was a good game but could have been much better.

As a coach or a player...I can't imagine their opinion on this one.
The NCAA live feed was really good. From what I saw, the reffing was really poor. Lots of bad calls and no calls, many which led to goals.

IMHO, UCLA outplayed UCI throughout the game, but could not put away their shots, especially on the 6/5s. You have to give UCI credit thought. They played an extremely physical game and had a 4-2 lead at halftime.

Looking forward to the Cal vs Michigan game. It will be interesting to see how big of a home pool advantage Michigan gets with all of their local support.

DinsdalePiranha
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan

Postby DinsdalePiranha » Fri May 06, 2022 5:57 pm

UCI v UCLA was not officiated the way the players deserved, par for the course, 15 to 9 in favor of UCLA. The UCI goalie had another great game and kept it close, really in favor of the 7 on 6 at the end of the game, but if you’re going to do it, better practice it with plays in mind
Last edited by DinsdalePiranha on Fri May 06, 2022 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
he nailed your head to the floor? Wol, e ad to, I ad transgressed the unwritten law...

SwimCoach

Postby SwimCoach » Fri May 06, 2022 6:57 pm

9-3 Cal at the beginning of the 4th. It was never close. I was expecting more out of Michigan in their home pool today. Cal looked sharp.

I watched two of the games today. The reffing is so inconsistent. Not a single 5 meter shot in the UCI vs UCLA game. Lots of potential calls for sure. Cal vs Michigan there were at least 6 with most seeming much more ticky tack than the other game. It has to drive the players and the coaches crazy. You really have to adapt to the way that the refs are calling the game.

Cal vs USC should be a great game tomorrow.

Miguel

Postby Miguel » Sat May 07, 2022 12:48 am

DinsdalePiranha wrote:UCI v UCLA was not officiated the way the players deserved, par for the course, 15 to 9 in favor of UCLA. The UCI goalie had another great game and kept it close, really in favor of the 7 on 6 at the end of the game, but if you’re going to do it, better practice it with plays in mind

It looked to me like they had a set play At 9 seconds the ball went to 5 and 5 moved inside the 2. Both the player at 1 and the player at the 3 post moved in with 5 while the player at the 2 post moved into the water 3 vacated allowing the player who was at 2 to move into open space for a catch and shoot as the UCLA defense reacted to the movement I thought they set it up nicely. She just wasn't able to get a clean shot off.

Fun game to watch.

OCPoloDad

Postby OCPoloDad » Sat May 07, 2022 4:38 pm

Good win for Stanford, on to Final. Yes, First Half was excruciating to watch as the noise of the constant whistles was distracting me from the announcer. I honestly can't speak to reffing when its via NCAA feed as opposed to seeing it live, so I am neutral on the subject. UCLA within 1 early in Q4 but 2 quick M Fish goals made it for a difficult comeback. Going 1/3 on penalties kinda surprised me.

SwimCoach

Postby SwimCoach » Sat May 07, 2022 5:08 pm

Stanford 10 UCLA 7 final. Solid win for Stanford against a very good UCLA team. Very close game until the very end. Stanford’s big three of the Fischer sisters and Neushul had 8 goals between them. They each have at least 60 goals this year, the first time that three players at Stanford have accomplished that. They are one of the best trios that I have seen play in the NCAAs. UCLA goalie had several outstanding saves including a penalty shot against Makenzie Fischer.

USC 9 Cal 7. USC controlled the game and had a 4 goal lead for most of it. Great season for Cal.

Tomorrow’s Stanford vs USC matchup should be outstanding.

ruin4life
How are you connected to water polo?: water polo parent and fan of the sport

Postby ruin4life » Sun May 08, 2022 12:41 am

Since the Bruins have been eliminated, I am hoping Stanford’s All USA team wins it all.

homesteadjoe
How are you connected to water polo?: Player

Postby homesteadjoe » Sun May 08, 2022 4:06 pm

Is the stream not working for anyone? I just see the "This event has not yet started" message on ESPN.

LimeyPoloDad
How are you connected to water polo?: Former player & coach, now a polo dad

Postby LimeyPoloDad » Sun May 08, 2022 4:26 pm

homesteadjoe wrote:Is the stream not working for anyone? I just see the "This event has not yet started" message on ESPN.
Q1 was on ESPNEWS. There was a Softball game on ESPNU.

Now the polo game on now on ESPNU.

SwimCoach

Postby SwimCoach » Sun May 08, 2022 4:44 pm

homesteadjoe wrote:Is the stream not working for anyone? I just see the "This event has not yet started" message on ESPN.
It is streaming on the app fine. 4-3 USC up at half.

10-7 Stanford wins. Makenzie Fischer left no doubt who the best player in the pool was. Unbelievable on offense and defense. Great game to watch.
Last edited by SwimCoach on Mon May 09, 2022 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

OCPoloDad

Postby OCPoloDad » Sun May 08, 2022 8:28 pm

SwimCoach wrote:
10-7 Stanford wins. Makenzie Fischer left no doubt who the best player in the pool was. Unbelievable on offense and defense. Great game to watch.
100% agreed on M Fish. Congratulations Stanford! Barbara Kalbus, MPSF’s, and a National Championship. That is a complete body of work.

On another note, I believe she has become the career leading goal scorer at Stanford with 284 goals.
Last edited by OCPoloDad on Mon May 09, 2022 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WPhan
How are you connected to water polo?: College Water Polo fan

Postby WPhan » Mon May 09, 2022 12:11 am

Good, competitive National Championship game between #1 and #2 teams. Close well into the 4th quarter but Stanford showed its strength down the stretch when the game was on the line. Stanford aces Mak Fischer (likely Cutino winner) and Neushul delivered. Congrats.