How are you connected to water polo?: Dad, fan, walking ATM

Re: Coaching Carousel

Postby dadonthedeck » Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:35 pm

The Barry King treatment?

Rbpolo0414
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan

Postby Rbpolo0414 » Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:38 pm

This one raises an eyebrow. Hard to imagine doing much better. Seems like an AD trying to justify his job or a cost cutting move.

dadonthedeck
How are you connected to water polo?: Dad, fan, walking ATM

Postby dadonthedeck » Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:01 am

My King reference seems misplaced. Rumors are this is about more than money or performance. The word ‘investigation’ has entered the conversation. About what, I have not heard.

wpolo93
How are you connected to water polo?: fan

Postby wpolo93 » Thu Jun 16, 2022 3:49 pm

-32H20polo wrote:Everyone knows that Candace Waldthaler the Ass't Coach at Davis will take over as Head coach. Which is a good thing.
No argument with the second sentence. As for the first one, is it still true that "everyone knows"?

Tuco
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan and Parent of 2 D1 players.

Postby Tuco » Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:04 pm

dadonthedeck wrote:My King reference seems misplaced. Rumors are this is about more than money or performance. The word ‘investigation’ has entered the conversation. About what, I have not heard.
I believe there was some sort of investigation going on that involved interviews with former players.
Also, having kids of star alumni leave the team raises eyebrow's in the AD's office.

NoSoloPolo

Postby NoSoloPolo » Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:33 pm

Tuco wrote:
dadonthedeck wrote:My King reference seems misplaced. Rumors are this is about more than money or performance. The word ‘investigation’ has entered the conversation. About what, I have not heard.
I believe there was some sort of investigation going on that involved interviews with former players.
Also, having kids of star alumni leave the team raises eyebrow's in the AD's office.
What player from “star alumni” left and when did that happen?

CPR

Postby CPR » Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:58 pm

I was surprised when I first saw this. Then I did a little research.

Prior to Marcelo, Anderson had Michigan in the top 10 nationally most years. They did drop off his last three seasons, but they were top 10 the previous four seasons with #7 ranking in '09 and '10.

Many felt that Marcelo would take the team to new levels, which in some respects he did, but apparently not quite enough...

Michgan's NCAA tournament record and final ranking under Marcelo:

2016-1-2 (4th)
2017-0-1 (7th)
2018-0-1 (9th)
2019-0-1 (6th)
2020-na (7th)
2021-0-1 (7th)
2022-0-1 (7th)

Michigan was a little better under Marcelo than Anderson, but the 1-7 tournament record including this season's 10-4 loss to Cal in Ann Arbor is probably what doomed him.
Coach/Player/Ref

UptheI15

Postby UptheI15 » Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:51 pm

What doomed him was not his record, but the way he interacted with his players. I strongly suspect that will become clear in time.

NoSoloPolo

Postby NoSoloPolo » Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:01 pm

UptheI15 wrote:What doomed him was not his record, but the way he interacted with his players. I strongly suspect that will become clear in time.
He was still under contract. So, if he didn't leave for his own reasons (and it sounds like he didn't) it *seems* something significant was in play.

stickman

Postby stickman » Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:55 pm

Been a while since we’ve seen this much turnover.
Four heavy hitters out. Clapper, Leonardi, Crawford, Wright. Not sure what went down in Ann Arbor and Phoenix, but both of those guys have had very successful careers and outstanding reputations. I wonder if either, or both will resurface at one of the other openings? Barring some unusual circumstance they’d seem to be good candidates for some of these positions…or potentially any openings that come up with other coaches moving.

Going to be very interesting to see how things look by the end of the summer.

NoSoloPolo

Postby NoSoloPolo » Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:26 pm

Tuco wrote:
Are you referring to Grace Harbaugh (daughter of Head Coach of Michigan Football, Jim Harbaugh)?
Where did she go? She was on the roster in 2022. Did she transfer after the season completed?

PoloCommuter
How are you connected to water polo?: Parent, fan

Postby PoloCommuter » Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:42 pm

Julie Snodgrass leaves APU to become the head coach at CBU.

Rational

Postby Rational » Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:11 pm

Michigan is one of those few "super" athletic departments where money is nearly unlimited. I wouldn't be surprised if Michigan's water polo budget was in the $500k range (equipment, travel, etc - not salaries) while most programs are in the $60-120k range. With that, don't be surprised if UM is able to poach a well established coach. Yes Gavin and Leyson and others just signed big extensions, but what are they going to do if UM offers $200k/year or something near double what they're making now. I don't have any inside info or trying to imply that anyone has applied for the spot, just observing that UM has a weapon that no other school (maybe U$C) can wield.

Polodad

Postby Polodad » Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:32 pm

Michigan had that same advantage 8 years ago and they went with an up and comer in the Northridge coach. Any big name that thinks 'well this could be for life" better check in with Anderson and Leonardi.