2021 NCAA Tournament

Mens College Water Polo
wpolo93
How are you connected to water polo?: fan

Re: 2021 NCAA Tournament

Postby wpolo93 » Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:13 am

Cal Polo Enthusiast,

OK so a team did not have a good non- league game losing by one goal to UCSB in September and so what? Those games serve as a preparation for more meaningful games in November and December. Please remind me what UCSB has been doing since Nov 20? I hope boys have been busy studying :)

Again, Davis has been steadily improving since 2013.
They earned the NCAA berth and they deserve it. Something that UCSB did not earn and did not deserve.

Sorry, but I watched live the epic collapse that UCSB had in the second half against Cal in mid October. It was something:)
Last edited by wpolo93 on Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

wpolo93

Postby wpolo93 » Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:17 am

Hahaha, yea. Leyson must be multi-lingual, because he had his foreigners perfectly in sync with him and the Americans.

I think he is bilingual.

Cal Polo Enthusiast
How are you connected to water polo?: Former player and coach.

Postby Cal Polo Enthusiast » Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:30 am

wpolo93 wrote:Cal Polo Enthusiast,

OK so a team did not have a good non- league game losing by one goal to UCSB in September and so what? Those games serve as a preparation for more meaningful games in November and December. Please remind me what UCSB has been doing since Nov 20? I hope boys have been busy studying :)

Again, Davis has been steadily improving since 2013.
They earned the NCAA berth and they deserve it. Something that UCSB did not earn and did not deserve.

Sorry, but I watched live the epic collapse that UCSB had in the second half against Cal in mid October. It was something:)

Because they were very poor and far worse than Long Beach. So surprising.

wpolo93

Postby wpolo93 » Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:58 am

Cal Polo Enthusiast wrote:

You are funny.
Good night and sweet dreams :)

lovethisgame
How are you connected to water polo?: Played in high school and college, dad, overall fan.

Postby lovethisgame » Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:52 am

I was at the LBSU/Davis game today and it really was a fantastic game. Hats off to both teams. My observations on how/why Davis won:
1. Davis' goalie is very good. He made several big blocks in the 1st half and Beach's shooting quality/shot selection seemed to deteriorate a little in the 2nd half. He also blocked a big 5M in the second half.
2. Davis' defensive switching was very disciplined and was disrupting some clear shooting chances for LBSU.
3. Someone else said it above...Leyson subs players like a hockey coach...always fresh people in the water.
4. Beach didn't play a "bad" game, but one head scratcher for me was that Davis' starting and back-up 2M defenders were fouled out for most of the 4th quarter and both OT's, but LBSU didn't really do anything to take advantage of it. They would seemingly have had mismatches at 2M the rest of the way and could have had many more 6on5 opps., but they weren't pushing to get the ball to their very good center.

Cal Polo Enthusiast

Postby Cal Polo Enthusiast » Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:39 am

wpolo93 wrote:

You are funny.
Good night and sweet dreams :)

What an odd response. Obviously Davis are a poor team compared to the top 4 and the top 3/4 GCC teams.

the standard of Pepperdine at best. Well done to them punching above their weight. GCC teams should be ashamed of their performance this year.

GoBears!
How are you connected to water polo?: Former player, coach, official and parent.

Postby GoBears! » Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:30 am

WPhan wrote:Much less from the college to pro level where even the reserves have 7 figure salaries and egos get in the way.

I agree with your general point that different coaching styles don't always work at the different stage of polo, junior, College, Pro.

The only bit I wanted to dispute is the highlighted bit. Very few pro water polo players will be paid a salary of 7 figures and even at the few richest clubs reserves won't be anywhere near that. The vast majority of pro water polo players will be on more or less subsistence pay. Enough to live and not much more.

This reminds me that Playing For Pizza is my favorite John Grisham book. A tremendous book on remembering to keep sports in perspective.

wpolo93

Postby wpolo93 » Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:23 am

What an odd response. Obviously Davis are a poor team compared to the top 4 and the top 3/4 GCC teams.

Not odd at all. It was a very polite way to say sore loser to a certain uninformed UCSB fan :)

Again, non- league games do not mean much especially if you do not know say how many hard swim sets kids had to swim before a game. Afaik, Leyson’s teams are sometimes dead tired before some non league games in September/ October. Leyson was Rudic’s assistant in Barcelona and it shows. “ There is no other way” Is a guiding principle, so to speak.

The goal is to win in November/ December, something that UCSB could not master to do so far. A team should be judged by what it does in the conference championship and NCAA games.
Two years ago Davis destroyed an opponent in the conference championship game and had a close QF game against Pepperdine. This year they won the conference championship without much drama again and had another close QF game. They were bound to win one of those QF games.

But hey, not to worry- you are welcome to keep staying in your bubble:). In my humble uninformed opinion UCSB had a somewhat strange season. I was in the stands during the game at Cal. The collapse was spectacular and raised some questions about mental toughness. But then I do not really know what was going inside the team so it is hard to judge. Still I was not suprised that UCSB did not make it to the conference finals...

Rbpolo0414
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan

Postby Rbpolo0414 » Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:44 am

wpolo93 wrote:

Not odd at all. It was a very polite way to say sore loser to a certain uninformed UCSB fan :)

Again, non- league games do not mean much especially if you do not know say how many hard swim sets kids had to swim before a game. Afaik, Leyson’s teams are sometimes dead tired before some non league games in September/ October. Leyson was Rudic’s assistant in Barcelona and it shows. “ There is no other way” Is a guiding principle, so to speak.

The goal is to win in November/ December, something that UCSB could not master to do so far. A team should be judged by what it does in the conference championship and NCAA games.
Two years ago Davis destroyed an opponent in the conference championship game and had a close QF game against Pepperdine. This year they won the conference championship without much drama again and had another close QF game. They were bound to win one of those QF games. But hey, not to worry- you are welcome to keep staying in your bubble:)

The difference between the big 4 and everyone else is consistency. Nobody else has it. Davis was strong in the beginning of the year and had some puzzling games as the season went on. As we’ve learned since the GCC was formed several years ago, anything can happen with those teams at the end of the season. There is not much difference between the GCC and Davis and I wasn’t remotely surprised they won. While they did play USC tough early in the season, I think USC will win this one fairly easily.

wpolo93

Postby wpolo93 » Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:55 am

Rbpolo0414 wrote:
There is not much difference between the GCC and Davis and I wasn’t remotely surprised they won. While they did play USC tough early in the season, I think USC will win this one fairly easily.

One step at a time. Sometimes it is just baby steps.

When Leyson came to Davis the team immediately improved and started winning regular conference season. However they stumbled in the conference playoffs (being #1 seed) on the first several tries. Now Davis is consistently the favorite to win the WWPA championship. Leyson’s first few playin NCAA games were loses. Now Davis has climbed this threshold as well.

Whether they do it tomorrow or several years later Davis will be there eventually :) It might take some familiarity with the new territory- who knows.

Cal Polo Enthusiast

Postby Cal Polo Enthusiast » Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:54 pm

wpolo93 wrote:

Two years ago Davis destroyed an opponent in the conference championship game and had a close QF game against Pepperdine. This year they won the conference championship without much drama again and had another close QF game. They were bound to win one of those QF games.

But hey, not to worry- you are welcome to keep staying in your bubble:). In my humble uninformed opinion UCSB had a somewhat strange season. I was in the stands during the game at Cal. The collapse was spectacular and raised some questions about mental toughness. But then I do not really know what was going inside the team so it is hard to judge. Still I was not suprised that UCSB did not make it to the conference finals...

UCSB and Long Beach should be ashamed of their season. UCSB in particular as they had by far the most talented roster. However, it was no surprise to see them not even win the GCC as they struggled to put 4 quarters of solid polo together all year. The SJSU game the only exception I can think of. Either a slow start or falling apart in the 4th when they seemed to forget they have a great hole and started taking long distance potshots and hoping. As has been said on here before it is hard to go past a failure in coaching.

Long Beach were almost the opposite, getting the most out of their more limited roster right up until NCAA finals, when they really should have dispatched Davis with ease. But they didn't and Davis should be proud of getting this far against the odds.

Rbpolo0414

Postby Rbpolo0414 » Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:03 am

You are being a little harsh on Long Beach. That is probably one of the better seasons they’ve had in recent memory. It’s not easy to sweep the GCC. It is disappointing they haven’t been able to win that big one though. I forget who knocked them off a couple years ago at NCAAs, but they were the favorites. UCSB on the other hand…I thought they were the favorites before the season started, but boy was I wrong. Maybe a little more training and a little less surfing

Horse585
How are you connected to water polo?: player, coach, fan, ref

Postby Horse585 » Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:29 am

Rbpolo0414 wrote: Maybe a little more training and a little less surfing

Surfing, et al, is a symptom of the disaster for UCSB. Poor Coaching and Leadership is a cause of the disaster for UCSB.

Rbpolo0414

Postby Rbpolo0414 » Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:08 am

Horse585 wrote:

Surfing, et al, is a symptom of the disaster for UCSB. Poor Coaching and Leadership is a cause of the disaster for UCSB.

I wasn’t talking about the players, but I think we are in agreement.

Horse585
How are you connected to water polo?: player, coach, fan, ref

Postby Horse585 » Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:19 am

Rbpolo0414 wrote:
Horse585 wrote:

I wasn’t talking about the players, but I think we are in agreement.

Touché!

Return to “Mens Varsity Water Polo”