Predictions for 2022

Mens College Water Polo
2plyBathingSuit
How are you connected to water polo?: I personally played in High School and College.
Love the sport.

Re: Predictions for 2022

Postby 2plyBathingSuit » Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:17 am

From what I witnessed in 2021...UCLA will definitely will not be the top dog in 2022. I now "fully" understand why they "historically" won't win...again.

Nohorsepolo
How are you connected to water polo?: Polo dad

Postby Nohorsepolo » Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:00 pm

Historically?? Historically no ivy will ever win the ncaa championship ever!!!

2plyBathingSuit
How are you connected to water polo?: I personally played in High School and College.
Love the sport.

Postby 2plyBathingSuit » Wed Feb 02, 2022 3:29 am

Nohorsepolo wrote:Historically?? Historically no ivy will ever win the ncaa championship ever!!!

Well, duh. But "some" are trying to change that...AND I am thankful for those who are trying to do just that. (Emoji "Thumbs Ups")

Trevor

Postby Trevor » Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:16 pm

Fordham just added a pretty big transfer to add to all the underclassmen talent they have coming back.

https://fordhamsports.com/news/2022/2/2 ... eason.aspx

2plyBathingSuit
Love the sport.

Postby 2plyBathingSuit » Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:34 pm

Trevor wrote:Fordham just added a pretty big transfer to add to all the underclassmen talent they have coming back.

https://fordhamsports.com/news/2022/2/2 ... eason.aspx

Yea, Fordham went from nothing-to-something in just one year. They are rivaling the Terriers as "the most with the imports". Princeton vs Fordham in the finals...again. With the Gross addition...Fordham now has a better chance at an upset. However, I'm still going with Princeton making it to the second round of NCAA's.

lovethisgame
How are you connected to water polo?: Played in high school and college, dad, overall fan.

Postby lovethisgame » Sun Feb 20, 2022 2:11 am

Gross is a big get for Fordham. Big reason Davis was in the Final Four.

2plyBathingSuit
Love the sport.

Postby 2plyBathingSuit » Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:17 am

lovethisgame wrote:Gross is a big get for Fordham. Big reason Davis was in the Final Four.

Princeton is still "deeper" than Fordham even with the acquisition of Nir...imo. However I'm ecstatic that Fordham will take second to Princeton, therefore, preventing Harvard from entering into the equation.

Rbpolo0414
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan

Postby Rbpolo0414 » Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:41 pm

2plyBathingSuit wrote:
lovethisgame wrote:Gross is a big get for Fordham. Big reason Davis was in the Final Four.

Princeton is still "deeper" than Fordham even with the acquisition of Nir...imo. However I'm ecstatic that Fordham will take second to Princeton, therefore, preventing Harvard from entering into the equation.

If there is one thing we’ve learned over the years is that the east coast is so unpredictable. The paper champion doesn’t win every time. I think Fordham has a good shot. Their Sophmore goalie is excellent.

2plyBathingSuit
Love the sport.

Postby 2plyBathingSuit » Tue Apr 05, 2022 2:17 am

Rbpolo0414 wrote:
2plyBathingSuit wrote:

If there is one thing we’ve learned over the years is that the east coast is so unpredictable. The paper champion doesn’t win every time. I think Fordham has a good shot. Their Sophmore goalie is excellent.

I agree with you wholeheartedly...Fordham is the favorite to win this fall (East-Coast-Conference) and has entered into the twilight-zone of next level of "Foreign Influence". Fordham has taken-it to the next level per coach "Bacharach". Just check-out their new foreign transfer recruits and their questionable tranfers. (It's public info). West coast powerhouses...I'd be worried, in the very near future, that the BIG FOUR dominance will soon be challenged. It's a whole new world out there. Perhaps some of your boys out there can better compete if they identify as a female. It's really not a bad way to go.

Apghrenegade
How are you connected to water polo?: Active player in open and masters tournaments; part time shooting coach; players mentor and advocate; author of a shooting clinic; 37 years playing experience spanning east coast USA, southern California, and europe; pro bono efforts for USA WP

Postby Apghrenegade » Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:40 pm

Given what is now started at the high school level in Texas, it is only a matter of time before we see big time and well funded D1 mens and womans water polo at several large Texas universities. These programs will attract great coaches and great national/international talent. I see it as a 5 to 15 year process that is starting now. As for the current 'big four' on the mens side...things are probably going to change faster rather than slower over the next 20 years. And that will be a very good thing for water polo.

2plyBathingSuit
Love the sport.

Postby 2plyBathingSuit » Wed Apr 06, 2022 6:15 am

Apghrenegade wrote:Given what is now started at the high school level in Texas, it is only a matter of time before we see big time and well funded D1 mens and womans water polo at several large Texas universities. These programs will attract great coaches and great national/international talent. I see it as a 5 to 15 year process that is starting now. As for the current 'big four' on the mens side...things are probably going to change faster rather than slower over the next 20 years. And that will be a very good thing for water polo.

Yea,...I can't wait until the "big four" start losing to different divisions "routinely"...long overdue. I'm so tired of picking a winner between the top three year after year.

Cal Polo Enthusiast
How are you connected to water polo?: Former player and coach.

Postby Cal Polo Enthusiast » Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:36 am

Lets face it one of the big 4 will win again. Big 3 is USC get the NCAA beat down that they deserve.

SwimCoach
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan, Instructor, Lifelong Swimmer

Postby SwimCoach » Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:49 am

2plyBathingSuit wrote:Yea,...I can't wait until the "big four" start losing to different divisions "routinely"...long overdue. I'm so tired of picking a winner between the top three year after year.

Unfortunately, I do not see the “big four” losing to different divisions “routinely” anytime soon.

2plyBathingSuit
Love the sport.

Postby 2plyBathingSuit » Thu Apr 07, 2022 3:02 am

SwimCoach wrote:
2plyBathingSuit wrote:Yea,...I can't wait until the "big four" start losing to different divisions "routinely"...long overdue. I'm so tired of picking a winner between the top three year after year.

Unfortunately, I do not see the “big four” losing to different divisions “routinely” anytime soon.

Did I say "soon"? No I didn't. But it's going to happen...it's inevitable. With the influx of foreign players on an epic scale to virtually every "water polo" college within US will have a major impact. The Big Four (of course) will still expect high "academic standards" to live-up too (including High TOFL scores etc.)... but unfortunately we know this will ultimately cripple them. Lots of other colleges have no such standards...(as you know). I can't wait for the change. It's way overdue. 5 years down the road....the conversations here on WPP will be very different...guaranteed.

stickman

Postby stickman » Thu Apr 07, 2022 4:45 pm

[quote="2plyBathingSuit"][quote="SwimCoach"][quote="2plyBathingSuit"]Yea,...I can't wait until the "big four" start losing to different divisions "routinely"...long overdue. I'm so tired of picking a winner between the top three year after year.[/quote]

Unfortunately, I do not see the “big four” losing to different divisions “routinely” anytime soon.[/quote]

Did I say "soon"? No I didn't. But it's going to happen...it's inevitable. With the influx of foreign players on an epic scale to virtually every "water polo" college within US will have a major impact. The Big Four (of course) will still expect high "academic standards" to live-up too (including High TOFL scores etc.)... but unfortunately we know this will ultimately cripple them. Lots of other colleges have no such standards...(as you know). I can't wait for the change. It's way overdue. 5 years down the road....the conversations here on WPP will be very different...guaranteed.[/quote]

I'm gonna disagree 2ply. Since the 'Big 4' was essentially established in 1990 ('89 was UCI's last title), only one non-Big 4 team has won it all (Pepp in 97), and only three others UCSD in '00 and UoP in '13 and '19 have reached a final. So four out of 32 seasons of non-Big 4 in the finals. Maybe over the next 30 years that number doubles, but it'll still be a sport dominated by 4 teams. To reach the type of parity I think you're hoping for, USA water polo will have to figure out how to effectively market the sport to kids throughout the entire country. Recent developments in Texas will help, but there's still a long way to go and no sign of USA water polo making any real effort. With that said, the end of Singer's scam will help level the playing field a little as well.

Return to “Mens Varsity Water Polo”