UCI- what is going on?

Mens College Water Polo
stickman

Re: UCI- what is going on?

Postby stickman » Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:12 pm

Recruiting seems to be an issue as it's been brought up by several different posters.

I'm curious if anyone knows what type of support staff this coach has? Is there a full-time assistant coach. I know for certain that USC, UCLA and Cal not only have full-time assistants but in some cased those assistants are paid more than most head coaches at other schools...in the MPSF, let alone other conferences.

Recruiting is not a head coach thing...it's a staff thing. Remember most of men's water polo recruiting occurs in the Summer...that's when coaches are scouting and getting to see players play in person. If you're relying on a part-time assistant who's not even getting paid in the off-season you're at a huge disadvantage.

I know UCI doesn't have a history of recruiting. Back in most of Newlands day, before water polo was a sanctioned NCAA sport, most teams didn't have full-time coaches, let alone paid assistants. That's changed a lot over the last 10-15 years.

While we compare how UCI is performing against the rest of the MPSF, lets compare the support they receive compared to the rest of the MPSF. If this coach is working with one arm behind his back, then change won't do much good.

I really don't know what type of support the administration provides and that may play a big role in the lack of recruiting. If in fact the support is there, then I agree it's an easy fix.

oneeyeddeacon

Postby oneeyeddeacon » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:28 pm

majored wrote:Why does the coach play his starters most of the game even when they are playing lower teams? Is he padding their stats ? But when playing teams in their division they cannot produce same stats.

Yeah, Nikola Vavic on USC is a good example of this too. He can score 5 to 9 goals against weaker teams, but he can't even muster up a goal when his team loses to Pacific. Jovan is a terrible coach. :roll:

Edit: Looking again, Vavic did score a goal. My bad.

uncle t
How are you connected to water polo?: Coach Player fan parent

Postby uncle t » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:26 pm

This is a great thread btw, I really appreciate the opinions and insight here.

With my limited knowledge of the team (UCI) other than I have played with many of the All -Americans there in my day, I have noticed some of the same issues. When I saw them play Cal they looked like a HS team. The kids are small and certainly don't seem to have an interest in bulk lifting like the other big four do. To me that's a program culture issue but what do I know?

All of this does have great interest to me though as I have an upcoming player that could maybe go big four or to some of the fringe programs like UCSD, USSB, LB or others....

It does concern me that UCI doesn't seem to be actively recruiting. I can say that I have seen them scout local talent though, I'm just not sure what they are doing once they find it.

minnow
How are you connected to water polo?: fan

Postby minnow » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:45 pm

I heard Dan Klatt speak at a public forum and he said that he does not want a roster much larger than 22 or so because otherwise he can't give the attention to his female players that's required. He went on to say that at UCI the size of the men's team is dictated by the size of the women's team in accordance with their interpretation of Title IX. He said that every year the men's coach pleads with him to increase the female team size so the mean's team can be increased. Obviously, Jovan and a some of the other teams do not have this roster limitation.

In my son's case he wanted to go to the college with the best academic reputation. I loved the UCI campus but he felt it wasn't quite as strong academically as his other options.

Pepperdine has the religious aspect that you have to determine if that's the best option for you. I've heard it's relatively conservative by the standards of several of the UC's as far as parties on campus. Again a beautiful campus but the academic reputation is not as strong as CAL, UCLA or USC.

yellowballer

Postby yellowballer » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:47 pm

oneeyeddeacon wrote:
majored wrote:Why does the coach play his starters most of the game even when they are playing lower teams? Is he padding their stats ? But when playing teams in their division they cannot produce same stats.

Yeah, Nikola Vavic on USC is a good example of this too. He can score 5 to 9 goals against weaker teams, but he can't even muster up a goal when his team loses to Pacific. Jovan is a terrible coach. :roll:

Edit: Looking again, Vavic did score a goal. My bad.

Jovan is a great coach. He has five NCAA championships in a row. Five. His teams have gone undefeated for whole seasons. He has had a hand in turning many players men and women into Peter Cutino award winners. You may not like the man or disagree with his methods but I don't see how you can say he is a bad coach. Also I have been there when he has put in a hard working player who hasn't seen much action and set up the play so this ordinary kid could score a goal in a division one college sport. This is a Disney moment for some of these players and watching the look of elation on their faces as the fans go nuts is really great. I would also like to say that if I were a "lower team" and my opponent didn't bring their A game I would be insulted.

oneeyeddeacon

Postby oneeyeddeacon » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:27 am

yellowballer wrote:
Jovan is a great coach. He has five NCAA championships in a row. Five. His teams have gone undefeated for whole seasons. He has had a hand in turning many players men and women into Peter Cutino award winners. You may not like the man or disagree with his methods but I don't see how you can say he is a bad coach. Also I have been there when he has put in a hard working player who hasn't seen much action and set up the play so this ordinary kid could score a goal in a division one college sport. This is a Disney moment for some of these players and watching the look of elation on their faces as the fans go nuts is really great. I would also like to say that if I were a "lower team" and my opponent didn't bring their A game I would be insulted.

Yes, I agree, hence the eye rolling smiley at the end.

majored

Postby majored » Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:19 pm

Is there anyone who witnessed the last UCI home games this past weekend who can explain how their coach will still have a job at the end of the season? Both games were pathetic and poorly coached. Their man ups were high schoolish and shot selection poor. There is no way their game against SD should of been that close. Their alum must be totally embarrassed as their fans. Looks like another year staying home during MP tournament. How many years will it take for admin to take a hard look at this situation?

get'em
How are you connected to water polo?: disconnected

Postby get'em » Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:50 pm

It was bad.
Clearly the coach needs to do a better job at recruiting. None of those kids are MPSF caliber athlete's.
A new coach would probably clean house and start from scratch.

Vierventil
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan

Postby Vierventil » Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:34 pm

If you think this year is/was bad, wait until next year....that is after Mitch Wise has graduated = 60%+ of their goal scoring. So a team that already doesn't score that much will
be scoring even less.....Great tradition at that School, hopefully they will be able to turn it around (whatever that means)

polofish
How are you connected to water polo?: ex player, fan

Postby polofish » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:44 pm

Marc Hunt will be cleaning out his office and enjoying a long Thanksgiving Weekend without concerning himself about upcoming recruits. Oh wait, that's business as usual. Marc Hunt is the poster child for failure. Did Newland push for Hunt to be his replacement? If there was a better coach with the right fit, UCI would get many high level recruits. UCI Athletic Director, Michael Izzi, a UCLA graduate needs to take note. Don't eliminate non UCI graduates. Get the best coach available and turn your team around. The water polo community should be concerned. UCI eliminated men's and women's swimming in the last few years. Could water polo be next?

With Dan Klatt's coaching schedule with UCI and USA Water Polo, there is no place for him on the men's team. The assistant women's coach is a nice guy but is not Men's DIvision I material.

Updating your resume? Interested candidates should think about whether they can handle all of Hunt's baggage and whip the program into shape. If your not the best communicator, organizer, leader, recruiter, coach (teacher/instructor, not someone who just yells) and individual who is able to get up early in the morning for workouts don't bother to apply because the UCI's Men's water polo program is in jeopardy and needs a very strong candidate.

Please note: I am not affiliated with UCI athletics. JMHO.

Anyone, want to throw out some names? UCI needs all the help they can get.

Pacificblue
How are you connected to water polo?: former player, parent, fan

Postby Pacificblue » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:19 pm

polofish wrote:Anyone, want to throw out some names? UCI needs all the help they can get.

I think the list of names could potentially be very long. But, here's the big question…how invested is UCI in Men's water polo? Even the legend himself, Ted Newland - the man who had brought UCI some of its very few NCAA titles - was working without a salary for a number of years. Is the University willing to pay/support/foster a top level program? If that commitment is there, I think you would seem some very high level names emerge. If not, then I think you'll find a lot of top level candidates giving the job a pass.

Btw, why not just give the job to Klatt? He could easily coach the men's and women's teams - and if he was, I bet his tune regarding rosters sizes would change quickly. He definitely understands the UCI culture and tradition. Not to mention, he played under Ratko, so he has supreme international credentials. If UCI wants to keep it in-house, I think they've got a great answer.

socalh20polodad
How are you connected to water polo?: parent & fan

Postby socalh20polodad » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:58 pm

Wow, two tough years following two previous "MPSF Coach of the Year" awards and he is being lynched. Tough crowd.

Doc
Site Admin

Postby Doc » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:46 pm

Why would any coach want to read criticism from an anonymous source on a public message board? Most sports in general and water polo in particular are similar to a sinusoidal curve with both ups and downs and in water polo the exceptions to this is about five or six teams.

Doc

h2opolo007
How are you connected to water polo?: interest person

Postby h2opolo007 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:50 pm

If you ever dealt with the coach, you will know why most here on the list go anonymous. He is very vindictive which then is thrown back on his players/fans. Ever tried having a conversation with him? Interesting cat to say the least!!!! Regarding your sinusoidal curve comment. most loyal fans want to see progress/ and / or future and most realize both are not there.

Being lynched? I think there is a lot of fans of the game and UCI would like to see the program change to a top tier team, not the team being presented. Who is to stay the coach is even aware of the public opinion? What you did two years ago is history. Past is past and today is now. There is no now for this MP tournament unless the 11th hour they can pull off a win the last 3 games(only need one). Dont forget they beat a JC team by only one point at the beginning of the year and had a poor showing in the SD tournament this summer(with a full team). As in the pros, can't fire the entire team, but you can >>>>>>(fill in the blank),IMHO

H2OWorld

Postby H2OWorld » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:33 pm

When trolls start talking about someone's job, things have gone too far. I will give you some insight into the current state of college water polo and where it is headed in the next 4 years. The sport has seen a drop off in the number of competitive players coming up the ranks in high school. That is to say, capable of competing at a division 1 level against European athletes. Athletic Directors are seeing a higher number of college applicants in lacrosse, volleyball and swim. Those 3 sports are excelling at the college level with bigger and faster athletes every year. Some of this may be due to the low number of universities that have water polo teams. Parents see more opportunity for scholarships in sports that have a greater number of universities that participate. In addition, we are seeing the tail end of the 2008 silver medal rush that inspired some kids to start the sport or switch over to it.

Universities like UCI, Brown, Harvard, Princeton, UCSD and Annapolis are the predecessors of the current flow of college bound water polo players. Polo magnet universities such as USC, Stanford and CAl are benefiting a little from past reputations, but they too will begin to see the talent drop off in 2015. What you have right now is a smaller number of high school players that could compete at the world level, deciding to play for one or two universities in the hopes of winning a NCAA championship. By 2016 there will be more parity between the top 20 rank teams.

Someone that is not familiar with the UCI, UCSD or the Brown water polo programs might be inclined to lump them together with the top 10 ranked teams in the nation. They need to understand that they are mixing apples and oranges. The UCI student experience is different from the UOP experience, and the USC experience is different from the CAL experience. All great universities, just different motivations for attending and different GPA requirements to even apply. Brown, Princeton, MIT and Harvard require a minimum 4.0 GPA for consideration. UCI and UCSD pick up the riff raff players between 3.8 and above. To put this into perspective, the schools that can only pick from the top tier of the GPA have roughly 24 to 31 decent water polo players a year to fight over. In 2015 the coaches believe that number will drop to under 20 athletes a year.

There are no million dollar water polo contracts waiting for graduates. The coaches know this and make sure the athletes graduate. I follow the sport and the UCI coach consistently fields a competitive team. At the beginning of every season I rank the programs based on graduating seniors and incoming recruits. I have ranked UCI between 12 and 14 the last few years. They keep surprising me. I have my favorites and they can't seem to knock UCI out.

The reason someone is selected by theirs peers for the MPSF is because they did something extraordinary. I believe the UCI coach has 2 MPSF awards. I don't understand how someone can trash the UCI coach for teaching a bunch of young men a sport we all love and making sure everyone of his athletes graduates. Someone also told me he has a youth program that he is now able to recruit high school players from. So throw in a little community service and he is probably a better person than the rest of us lonely souls on this site. Die troll die!
Last edited by H2OWorld on Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Mens Varsity Water Polo”