UOP beats USC

Mens College Water Polo
yellowballer

UOP beats USC

Postby yellowballer » Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:41 pm

Wow. Congrats to UOP for this amazing win at home in front of their fans. Long ride home for the Trojans. Just me but if I were a player I'd say "it's OK Jovan I think I'll walk". I'm thinking they are all swimming 10,000 yards tonight and tomorrow and Monday....

Again congrats to UOP and I'm a Trojan. :-)

retiredguy
How are you connected to water polo?: Former player, fan

Re: UOP beats USC

Postby retiredguy » Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:52 pm

Kudos to UOP for a solid win today at home. Also, it was great to watch the game streamed over the internet with high quality video, announcers, and a scoreboard at the bottom of the screen. Not too often that happens with NCAA Water Polo, and it's fantastic. Even though I will be at the MPSF Tourney, it is good to know that it will be streamed live over the internet as well for those who can't make it live. Looked like a fun crowd today there too!

oneeyeddeacon

Postby oneeyeddeacon » Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:53 pm

Color me impressed. It's also probably USC's worst loss in a long while.

Justafan2
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan and ex high school coach

Postby Justafan2 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:42 pm

yellowballer wrote:Wow. Congrats to UOP for this amazing win at home in front of their fans. Long ride home for the Trojans. Just me but if I were a player I'd say "it's OK Jovan I think I'll walk". I'm thinking they are all swimming 10,000 yards tonight and tomorrow and Monday....

Again congrats to UOP and I'm a Trojan. :-)

Yeah Jovan had them over by the pool for an hour after the game. Didn't look like it was a pleasant conversation. UOP fans really turned out. Unlike the Big four they aren't used to winning and they don't have a football team. Really wish 1-2 more WCC schools would pick up water polo and the conference would sponsor the sport.

jw54

Postby jw54 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:47 pm

Great win for UOP and a good weekend for college water polo with additional big wins; unranked Pomona Pitzer knocks off No. 14 Santa Clara 10-5, and no. 17 UC Davis beats no. 12 LMU and no. 10 UCSD--this is what NCAA polo needs to be--unpredictable--interesting.

fanofpolo

Postby fanofpolo » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:47 am

Does anyone know what Jovan talks (screams) about during those two hour lectures after a loss? Serious question.

Doc
Site Admin

Postby Doc » Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:02 pm

fanofpolo,

Isn’t that kind of like a person asking what you would say at your place of work when things go wrong on a public message board???

Doc

NorCalWPolo
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan

Postby NorCalWPolo » Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:02 pm

"It's also probably USC's worst loss in a long while."

Yes, looks like since 11/28/2009 when they lost to UCLA by the same margin.

my69442w30

Postby my69442w30 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:10 pm

USC Pretty much shut down Goran and Eddie (1) with double and triple teams, but that showed the depth at Pacific as Obert (3), Grady (2), and Szabo (2) scored enough for the victory. And the cushion was provided by Oilivera and Petrovic.

Alex, had another fantastic game with 16 saves including a momentum changing penalty shot stop against Vavic as USC was trying to mount the comeback.

Congratulations to the Tigers and Coach Graham.

Rapseys Game Misconduct was not a factor in Pacific's victory, and that was Eddie's only goal.

A well called game by the officials, including both penalty shots called for USC.

Graham will have to bring in additional bleachers for the office side of the facility for MPSF. The pool was packed yesterday for the game.

Thanks for the live streaming of the game, well done with graphics and commentary. Nice to have that provided.

Way to go Pacific, Wooooof Woooof woooof! :D

fanofpolo

Postby fanofpolo » Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:52 pm

Doc wrote:fanofpolo,

Isn’t that kind of like a person asking what you would say at your place of work when things go wrong on a public message board???

Doc

I was really curious about how much one could say after a loss. I think Jovan is a fabulous coach and still has to be the favorite to win NCAA's. I've seen the USC parents trying to keep food warm and waiting endlessly for the "team meeting" to conclude so they can serve the kids after the game.

coyote
How are you connected to water polo?: fan

Postby coyote » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:29 am

The only thing that I have to say is that UOP needs to get more bleachers. If they are going to host MPSFs, they need to prepare for the tournament properly. If UOP fails to do this, then they should not be able to participate in NCAA if they qualify.

UOP, Enjoy your moment with the win over USC but get your act together. James Graham and Jack Kocur (Coordinator, Water Polo Operations) need to crack the whip. Yep, the same Jack Kocur from Pepperdine, USC and now UOP.

Water-Polo-Fan

Postby Water-Polo-Fan » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:07 am

coyote wrote:...The only thing that I have to say is that UOP needs to get more bleachers. If they are going to host MPSFs, they need to prepare for the tournament properly. If UOP fails to do this, then they should not be able to participate in NCAA if they qualify....

That's ridiculous. Exclude a school from the NCAA tourney should they earn the right to participate because they coudnt provide adequate seating for fans? Wow! The responsibility UOP has, IMHO, is to provide ADEQUATE seating for the spectators. There's no way they could've possibly expected to have the amount that showed up to watch the game against USC. There's a difference between "Hey, we're probably going to have standing room only this weekend" and "Holy crap, how can we possibly accommodate the overflow of fans without violating the fire code?"

My understanding is UOP has long since planned for the crowd that's expected for the MPSF Tournament. Will that guarantee a seat for everyone? Probably not. My suggestion is get there EARLY and don't leave if you want to make sure you're there for the semi's and final game(regardless of teams playing). Otherwise, pull up your laptop and enjoy.

In the end, UOP doesn't have a stadium like Stanford. They aren't "required" to accommodate everyone, if anyone at all. To state a team that works all Summer and regular season shouldn't be able to participate in their sport's championship tourney because their administration, alumni or whomever couldn't provide the facilities for their fans is ludicrous.
It's going to be a great tournament. One, finally, that adds a little drama in that there are more than a couple teams that could take the title. Good luck to all!

my69442w30

Postby my69442w30 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:56 am

coyote wrote:The only thing that I have to say is that UOP needs to get more bleachers. If they are going to host MPSFs, they need to prepare for the tournament properly. If UOP fails to do this, then they should not be able to participate in NCAA if they qualify.

UOP, Enjoy your moment with the win over USC but get your act together. James Graham and Jack Kocur (Coordinator, Water Polo Operations) need to crack the whip. Yep, the same Jack Kocur from Pepperdine, USC and now UOP.

How many can Cal seat? But you never proposed CAL not be allowed to go to NCAA's. Been there for MPSF and they don't seat much more than Pacific. And they also hosted NCAA's the same year. They only live streamed 2 games if I recall correctly. Pacific will do a great job at the pool and on-line when they host MPSF.

Curb your hatred for Pacific, they are very proud of what they have been building to since Graham has gotten there, and their proof is in the pool. When they earn their spot at NCAA's you want to take that away because you had to stand at the tournament? Great way to support the sport.

Graham has already stated that he will bring in additional seating for MPSF.

GO PACIFIC! Woooof Woooof Woooof!

princeofpolo
How are you connected to water polo?: ex player, ex coach, father of players

Postby princeofpolo » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:57 am

Seats aren't the problem, it's vowels they are short of.

fanofpolo

Postby fanofpolo » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:00 am

princeofpolo wrote:Seats aren't the problem, it's vowels they are short of.

Well that's rather racist of you.

Return to “Mens Varsity Water Polo”