WWPA's

Mens College Water Polo
MZone1988
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan

Re: WWPA's

Postby MZone1988 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:04 pm

dwpc69 wrote:Good question :)

I have no clue. LMU is a very young team (most players who played today are freshmen and sophomores). Santa Clara played reasonably well (for a change), but not great.

P.S. At some point in the fourth quarter, LMU goalie got ejected for arguing a call with the officials. Santa Clara supporters loudly cheered the ejection even though the result of the game had not been in doubt for quite some time. LMU had to put a field player in goal. Classless on the part of those Santa Clara folks, in my opinion.

Parents will be parents. Anything that supports their team they will cheer about. I think that happens across the sport, every level. I can only imagine what would happen if that happended at a UCLA-USC game! I don't think those fans would go silently. Little silly of a goalkeeper to argue a call when there is a line judge sitting right there.

Weird to think LMU has not made the finals for three staight seasons. Hard to believe after their great runs with Andy and co.

Congrats to UCSD. They will be the heavy favorites next year returning their two best players IMO coming off of a redshirt. Davis is going to be very good. Leyson has a system that works. I'm interested to see what he does with that program once he gets a couple of his own recruiting classes. UCSD's goalie played fantastic. He always seems to step up championship time.

dwpc69
How are you connected to water polo?: fan

Postby dwpc69 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:00 pm

MZone1988 wrote:
Parents will be parents. Anything that supports their team they will cheer about. I think that happens across the sport, every level. I can only imagine what would happen if that happended at a UCLA-USC game! I don't think those fans would go silently. Little silly of a goalkeeper to argue a call when there is a line judge sitting right there.

I do not disagree with the ejection. Of course it was silly to argue (at least the goalie was not abusive toward the referee). However, it was in the middle of the fourth quarter. LMU played all freshmen (if I am corect). Their best player had been sitting on the bench since the middle of the third quarter. The game was over. Why (in this particular situation) to behave this way- I cannot understand. Why not to cheer just for good water polo since the stress was long gone. I could understand it better if the score were say 10-10.

Sometimes parents behave as if a game were the only bright spot in their miserable lives. I know this is not the case, but this is the impression of a neutral observer. Just classless.

P.S. I am not a LMU fan.

MZone1988
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan

Postby MZone1988 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:49 pm

dwpc69 wrote:
MZone1988 wrote:

I do not disagree with the ejection. Of course it was silly to argue (at least the goalie was not abusive toward the referee). However, it was in the middle of the fourth quarter. LMU played all freshmen (if I am corect). Their best player had been sitting on the bench since the middle of the third quarter. The game was over. Why (in this particular situation) to behave this way- I cannot understand. Why not to cheer just for good water polo since the stress was long gone. I could understand it better if the score were say 10-10.

Sometimes parents behave as if a game were the only bright spot in their miserable lives. I know this is not the case, but this is the impression of a neutral observer. Just classless.

P.S. I am not a LMU fan.

I get what you're saying. You're probably correct in this instance. Although I don't think score should really change whether it's classy or not. These two programs are on somewhat level playing field (although LMU has dominated historically), it's not as if one team is running up the score that has ample more resources and talent, celebrating wildly. I just don't think it's fair to "call out" one group of teams fans for something that happens all the time. I witnessed LMU fans yelling at opposing team players directly for "being dirty" during that game. Is it classy,to yell at opposing players directly? Probably not. I just don't feel it's fair to call out one teams fans when most act the same way.

Also, I hope you didn't think I wasn't suggesting you were an LMU fan. I am not really connected to any of the teams either, just wanted to watch three good games Sunday and enjoy a discussion about our great sport!

With that said, getting back to actions in the pool, LMU is going to be good next year. Lots of young players. I expect a three horse race, UCD, UCSD and LMU for the WWPA crown. UCSD will now likely play St, Francis to get into the Final 4. That should be a good one.

dwpc69

Postby dwpc69 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:44 pm

I expect UCSD to come first next year and LMU second, especially if their 6ft4 Serbian 2m player (sorry but could not recall his name) becomes better. Mitrovic is already very very good. LMU's goalie is quite good as well (but should learn to keep his emotions under control). Honestly, I do no see UC Davis without Rogers to be any close to the first two teams. Sacramento area is not a hotbed for water polo (even though it is slowly getting better), so I expect UC San Diego and LMU to have some advatnage in recruiting.

letsbereal
How are you connected to water polo?: parent

Postby letsbereal » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:15 am

dwpc69 wrote:I Honestly, I do no see UC Davis without Rogers to be any close to the first two teams. Sacramento area is not a hotbed for water polo (even though it is slowly getting better), so I expect UC San Diego and LMU to have some advatnage in recruiting.

Josh Stilling, Dan Matulis, Alex Obert, all not from "hotbeds". Leyson is a smart and creative coach. I'm guessing he'll be looking all over for great players.

Skipper

Postby Skipper » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:21 am

You can bet Leyson will bring up some good players from the Southern California area.
Remember he was the head of Rose Bowl WP in Pasadena and played at USC and coached under Jovan for a short stint and at UCLA with Adam also.
With all that exposure and experience he has got to be able to convince a few blue chip prospects to make the move up north and play for him.

polo68
How are you connected to water polo?: Parent of players.

Postby polo68 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:38 pm

I know for a fact that Coach Leyson has already made at least one such call; I know a kid who he called just recently. Good for Coach Leyson. That is a much-needed feature of the program that had been at least somewhat missing in the past. I know this also, I know a kid (now playing at another school) who wanted to pursue Davis, but couldn't raise a response. Do not count out Davis in next year's WWPA run. Coach Leyson has shown himself to be very determined to make that program better.

dwpc69

Postby dwpc69 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:07 pm

I did not write (and I did not mean) that Davis heavily relies on Sacramento area kids. In fact, there are only four players on the UC Davis roster from the greater Sacramento area (three local kids from Davis HS and one kid from Granite Bay). All four are quite good. Majority of the players are from SoCal, if I am correct.

What I meant is that UCSD enjoys some advantage in recruiting blue chip SoCal kids. Academically, UCSD is at least as strong as UC Davis. And I can understand if players from the hotbed of water polo want to play locally. I do not know how one can argue with this.

P.S. Layson was an assistant coach at UCLA (and a director of Rose Bowl) right before coming to Davis. He was an assistant at USC long long time ago. I agree that his recent experience at the Rose Bowl and UCLA should help.

letsbereal

Postby letsbereal » Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:18 pm

dwpc69 wrote:I did not write (and I did not mean) that Davis heavily relies on Sacramento area kids. In fact, there are only four players on the UC Davis roster from the greater Sacramento area (three local kids from Davis HS and one kid from Granite Bay). All four are quite good. Majority of the players are from SoCal, if I am correct.

What I meant is that UCSD enjoys some advantage in recruiting blue chip SoCal kids. Academically, UCSD is at least as strong as UC Davis. And I can understand if players from the hotbed of water polo want to play locally. I do not know how one can argue with this.

P.S. Layson was an assistant coach at UCLA (and a director of Rose Bowl) right before coming to Davis. He was an assistant at USC long long time ago. I agree that his recent experience at the Rose Bowl and UCLA should help.

I'm not arguing, just trying to make a point. My point is the assumption that players from Socal are better once they get to NCAA is proving to be not as true as it once was. Davis does heavily rely on Davis/Sacramento players if you go by minutes played. 3 of 6 of the most played are from Davis/Sac. The players I listed above, Stilling, Matulis, and Obert (from Sac btw) are agruably the best American players on their teams and are not from hotbeds. My point is smart coaches, like Leyson, look all over, including their fertile back yard.

dwpc69

Postby dwpc69 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:22 pm

letsbereal wrote:. My point is the assumption that players from Socal are better once they get to NCAA is proving to be not as true as it once was. Davis does heavily rely on Davis/Sacramento players if you go by minutes played. 3 of 6 of the most played are from Davis/Sac. The players I listed above, Stilling, Matulis, and Obert (from Sac btw) are agruably the best American players on their teams and are not from hotbeds. My point is smart coaches, like Leyson, look all over, including their fertile back yard.

Nobody would ever argue with this )) By the same token if somebody is European it does not mean that he is automatically a better player than his American teammate. Still, the majority of the best palyers are from SoCal. And when an excellent talent emerges in a backyard (say Stapleton), most often he goes to a big program (like Stanford) not not to UC Davis. Layson is not the only smart coach on this planet, you know.

P.S. Davis kids on the UC Davis team are clearly good, but one of the reasons why they play a lot of minutes is that a very real threat of eliminating the water polo at UC Davis in 2009-2010 did not help with recruiting. I might be very wrong on this of course since I do not know much about the UC Davis program.

letsbereal

Postby letsbereal » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:26 pm

Davis already beat LMU.

jw54

Postby jw54 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:51 am

Dwpc69 wrote
I might be very wrong on this of course since I do not know much about the UC Davis program.

That's obvious.

Jim Hicks
Irvine, CA

dwpc69

Postby dwpc69 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:27 am

OK, fine.
I do not know much about the program and you are one of its saviors (thank you) but let us discuss WWPA and not me. Otherwise, it may look a little bit like an uncalled personal attack. I do not think it adds anything to the forum.
And, btw, It is to some extent a public forum, remember ))

Of course if you want to share your valuable insights about UC Davis water polo, I am sure that quite many people might find it interesting.

oneeyeddeacon

Postby oneeyeddeacon » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:41 am

Are scholarships a big deal at LMU and UC Davis? I know UCSD gives pathetic $500/year athletic scholarships, which I guess is still better than the Ivy League schools.

klazs

Postby klazs » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:36 pm

The Ivy Leagues do not give athletic or merit scholarships but they have phenomenal need based financial aid. The Ivy Leagues can end up being much cheaper than a UC depending on a family's individual financial situation.

Return to “Mens Varsity Water Polo”