pep vs uci

Mens College Water Polo
polo12345
How are you connected to water polo?: fan, ex player

pep vs uci

Postby polo12345 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:06 am

You can all no back off of the UCI coach. Maybe look at the other "coach". There was a slim to none chance that UCI beat Pepperdine, let alone by three. Pepperdine needed to not lose by two and they were in the tournament. Coaching? Pepperdine has much better talent, nothing against UCI, Both pepperdine "coaches" were at the CIF finals, all day. They should have been with their team getting ready for the UCI game. Whats going on at Pepperdine should have been the name of the thread. Well done Hunt and UCI players, you wanted it more

oneeyeddeacon

Re: pep vs uci

Postby oneeyeddeacon » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:05 am

Considering the vigor of the opinions in that thread, I would imagine that if UCI loses in the MPSF tournament by a large margin, the criticisms will probably return.

Art Vandelay
How are you connected to water polo?: Coach, Fan, Former Player, Junkie

Postby Art Vandelay » Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:52 pm

Pepperdine had a 4 goal lead with 3:11 left in the game and they still lost by three and get eliminated from the tournament... From one perspective, that's an amazing come back by the Eaters! From another perspective, that has to be one of the worst ways to end a season. Couldn't they have just run out the clock? Even if they lost by two they still would've qualified for the MPSF tourney.... Using the words of the younger generation... EPIC FAIL.

Ram
How are you connected to water polo?: yes

Postby Ram » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:29 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:Pepperdine had a 4 goal lead with 3:11 left in the game and they still lost by three and get eliminated from the tournament... From one perspective, that's an amazing come back by the Eaters! From another perspective, that has to be one of the worst ways to end a season. Couldn't they have just run out the clock? Even if they lost by two they still would've qualified for the MPSF tourney.... Using the words of the younger generation... EPIC FAIL.

Wait one minute. If Pepperdine had a 4 goal lead with only 3:11 left in the game, UCI would have had to score 7 goals in 3:11. This seems even too miraculous a feat for any of the top MPSF teams to do against Pepperdine or UCI. There must have been more to this game.

Mr. Art Vandalay, would you care to elaborate? Anyone else?

PoloNonooh
How are you connected to water polo?: Coach and Administrator

Postby PoloNonooh » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:26 pm

UCI was down 10-9 at 3:11 when they scored to pull even with Pep. After that they scored 3 more unanswered goals (the last a penalty shot) to win 13-10. All tallies for UCI (4 of them) in the 4th quarter happen in the final 3:11.

Not sure what Art's smoke but I'm not having the best Monday and could sure use some!!!

keepingitpolo

Postby keepingitpolo » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:47 pm

I believe he meant that pep would have to give up 4 goals and not score in order to fail to qualify for the mpfs

CollegeGrad
How are you connected to water polo?: fan

Postby CollegeGrad » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:45 pm

keepingitpolo wrote:I believe he meant that pep would have to give up 4 goals and not score in order to fail to qualify for the mpfs

Regardless, something doesn't sound right. I didn't see the game. Can someone shed some commentary regarding the last 3:11 of the game. Multiple exclusions at the same time, Pepp players fouling out, 5 meter calls, ref calls?

Art Vandelay

Postby Art Vandelay » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:05 pm

I meant that they gave up 4 goals in 3:11 when all they needed to do was lose by two (in the worst case scenario) to still qualify for MPSFs.

Art Vandelay

Postby Art Vandelay » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:14 pm

PoloNonooh wrote:UCI was down 10-9 at 3:11 when they scored to pull even with Pep. After that they scored 3 more unanswered goals (the last a penalty shot) to win 13-10. All tallies for UCI (4 of them) in the 4th quarter happen in the final 3:11.

Not sure what Art's smoke but I'm not having the best Monday and could sure use some!!!

PoloNonooh.... if you had what I had you'd be on Cloud 9.. :D

The point is, that you could run out the clock and still get to play in the MPSF tourney. Instead Pepp tried to play the last few possessions and now their season is done.

polo12345

Postby polo12345 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:14 pm

This is crazy. How can the Pepperdine "coaches" allow this to happen and have their seniors not get a chance to play in the tournament. I would be pissed if this happened to me or my kid. Pepperdine has been on a downward spin for a while now. In the 90's they would be in there with the big four. Now they are not going to the tournament once again. What are those "coaches" doing? Yep, good players in their time, but , coaching is something different. This is inexcusable. They hire the chiropractor back and this happens. This could hurt them for sometime.

h2opolo007
How are you connected to water polo?: interest person

Postby h2opolo007 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:41 pm

Really surprised no one has mentioned how the 5 meter was awarded with one second left in the game. :roll: Reminds me how the UCLA-USC game ended in controversy last week in the final second.
Going in as last seed in the MSPF tourneyment only guarantees three more loses and a losing record of 13-15. Not sure how that can help a coach

polo12345

Postby polo12345 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:17 pm

At least they are in the Tournament. The point being is how did Pepperdine even allow themselfs two lose by three when they knew that all they had to do was less than that or win. Pepperdine has three very good field players and a very good goalie. UCI was out matched and out maned, but Pepperdine was out coached. UCI is at the tournament and anything can happen while you are there. Nothing can happen if you are at home

poloshark

Postby poloshark » Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:34 pm

I was at the game. #7 from Pep was excluded with about 9 secs left. He was on the 1/2 side when excluded. The ball swung to the 4/5 side and # 9 from UCI walked the ball in. #7 (that was excluded) came down to the post and played defense, because of this #9 had no where to pass the ball and took a shot with 1 second. The official that called the exclusion help up the 7 the whole time. As soon as the shot was missed he called the 5m for the #7 player not leaving the field. This is the correct call, can’t blame the official on this one.

Art Vandelay

Postby Art Vandelay » Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:59 pm

How ironic is this article posted today: http://www.waterpoloplanet.com/HTML_Ter ... _BTF1.html

Here's a game situation for you Coach... In the worst case scenario, you only need to lose by two to UCI in the final game of the season to qualify for the MPSF tournament. At halftime of this game you are leading by three goals. With a little over 3 minutes left in the fourth quarter you are up by one goal. In the course of managing the game, you lose by 3 goals and don't qualify for your conference championship.

How do you teach your team how to manage that game situation?

Doc
Site Admin

Postby Doc » Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:23 pm

Art Vandelay,

What have you done for water polo lately besides make negative remarks on this message board. I don't see you sharing your water polo knowledge with anyone? If you think you can write a better article on how to manage game situations then write it and I will post a link to it on the home page. This coach you are criticizing has written 53 articles for the WPP website. How many water polo articles have you written? Art have you ever coached? Because if you have then you would know that your players don't always do what you tell them to do. It sounds to me as if you would rather be a part of the problem than be a part of the solution.

Doc

PS: I bet you didn't even read the entire article?

Return to “Mens Varsity Water Polo”