Postby mbaywaterpolo » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:00 pm

The bracket is set.

1) USC
2) Pacific
3) Stanford
4) UCSD
5) St Francis
6) Whittier

My predictions, home pool advantage will prove key for Stanford and they will take down USC in the final.

Skipper

Re: NCAA Finals Predictions 2013

Postby Skipper » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:16 pm

Im predicting UOP plays well against Stanford and then loses to SC in the final after SC's warm up match....

polo68
How are you connected to water polo?: Parent of players.

Postby polo68 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:18 pm

Anyone know the right person at Stanford to call and get the live streaming to happen? Last weekend for MPSFs, at our house, we all sat around the computer WATCHING GAMES LIVE. It was fantastic! But that isn't being done for the national championship??!! Come on, Stanford! You're about to be trumped by little ol' UOP!

JPSchmack
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan.

Postby JPSchmack » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:12 pm

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:32 pm

The NCAA is not listing Water Polo on their Thursday webcast schedule- that doesn't necessarily mean they will not be streaming it but the link should be up by now if they were planning to.

polo68

Postby polo68 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:09 am

JPSchmack, I saw where Division II men's and women's soccer is planned for a live broadcast on Thursday, but didn't see water polo. Did you find it somewhere else? I used your link but did not go to the UOP website.

Apghrenegade
How are you connected to water polo?: Active player in open and masters tournaments; part time shooting coach; players mentor and advocate; author of a shooting clinic; 37 years playing experience spanning east coast USA, southern California, and europe; pro bono efforts for USA WP

Postby Apghrenegade » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:17 am

USC will have a closer call than typical CA centric water polo enthusiasts expect against St Francis in the semi. St Francis executes a system of play well know by Jovan throughout the game, and gets more than solid goaltending from Mladenovich. Wisdom of USA WP MNT head coach decision again reinforced throughout the top player personnel performances of NCAA D1. Medium and long term outlook for USA WP men becoming consistent top 3 world performers continues to improve as pipeline is progressively groomed and prepared in systems from the top levels in the 'Balkans'. Yet certain headlines on WPP continue to reflect crazy rants, inadequate medications, and alienated childish attention seeking.

Water-Polo-Fan

Postby Water-Polo-Fan » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:01 am

Apghrenegade wrote:USC will have a closer call than typical CA centric water polo enthusiasts expect against St Francis in the semi. St Francis executes a system of play well know by Jovan throughout the game, and gets more than solid goaltending from Mladenovich. Wisdom of USA WP MNT head coach decision again reinforced throughout the top player personnel performances of NCAA D1. Medium and long term outlook for USA WP men becoming consistent top 3 world performers continues to improve as pipeline is progressively groomed and prepared in systems from the top levels in the 'Balkans'. Yet certain headlines on WPP continue to reflect crazy rants, inadequate medications, and alienated childish attention seeking.

Huh? I'm thinking Coach Mihaljevic is preparing his team for UCSD first and not even thinking about USC. Based on SF's record against CA teams this season I wouldn't be looking past my first opponent if I were them as the numbers say advancing will be a tough road. (2-7 against CA teams in 2013 and 0-3 against MPSF team in the NCAA tournament )
That being said, I love rooting for the underdog and wish the Terriers the best of luck!

oldschool
How are you connected to water polo?: Coach, player

Postby oldschool » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:31 pm

St Francis over UCSD by 2
Stanford over Whittier by 13
-----------------------------
USC over St Francis by 8
Stanford over UOP by 2
USC over Stanford by 3

JPSchmack
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan.

Postby JPSchmack » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:56 pm

polo68 wrote:JPSchmack, I saw where Division II men's and women's soccer is planned for a live broadcast on Thursday, but didn't see water polo. Did you find it somewhere else? I used your link but did not go to the UOP website.

The links were obviously to the NCAA pages, since it's their stream. They have the streaming page by calendar, so I just posted the three days of water polo.

I do understand the NCAA saying "we're streaming the tournament, but the play-in games aren't the tournament" from a consistency standpoint, but the fact that it's at Stanford, in the Tournament pool, two days before the Tournament? C'mon, stream the games.

luvthegame

Postby luvthegame » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:26 pm

Great coverage! :lol: The play in games have been over for hours and nothing on the Stanford website, nothing on the tournament central website, and nothing on the NCAA website. UOP where are you?!?

dodgers31296
How are you connected to water polo?: Player

Postby dodgers31296 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:51 pm

Stanford defeated Whittier 20-3
St. Francis defeated UC San Diego 6-5

http://www.ncaa.com/sports/waterpolo-men

Forever polo
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan

Postby Forever polo » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:03 am

oldschool wrote:St Francis over UCSD by 2
Stanford over Whittier by 13
USC over St Francis by 8
Stanford over UOP by 2
USC over Stanford by 3

I hope Stanford beats Pacific but it will be a battle and a close game as all the others have been.

USC will win hands down and it won't be close.

They have the most experienced coach.
Their players have an expectation of winning.
The deck is incredibly stacked in their favor.

1) Their huge roster allows them to be more successful in multi day tournaments. Look at their record in league games versus tournament games.
2) The will play a much easier semi final game and will be relatively rested while the Pacific-Stanford team will have gone through a war.

The result is more teams will expand their roster to compete as UCLA has already done. Water Polo will be damaged as a by-product of this drive to compete. I have never seen a sport as poorly managed as water polo. Would any other sport allow such clear anti competitive behavior?

polo68

Postby polo68 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:12 pm

The UCSD-St. Francis game was very close, tied 5-5 in the fourth, and St. Francis won with the last goal. So it was a close match. That tells me that USC can beat St. Francis by whatever margin they care to, and it may be 8 as oldschool predicted, but not because USC went full-throttle. A very easy game for USC leading to the final.

Why can't this tournament be 8 teams? Division I men's basketball gets something like 66 or 68 teams to go to their NCAA tournament, and there are about 350 NCAA Division I men's basketball teams. With the same proportions, men's water polo should get about 8 teams for their tournament.

mbaywaterpolo
How are you connected to water polo?: Player and Fan

Postby mbaywaterpolo » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:21 pm

I asked why we couldnt have 8 teams in another thread. The explanation given to me was that the NCAA wont allow it because there arent enough D1 teams and the ratio of teams in the championship to total teams is already high.

Return to “Mens Varsity Water Polo”