NCAAs

Mens College Water Polo
retiredguy
How are you connected to water polo?: Former player, fan

NCAAs

Postby retiredguy » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:57 pm

While NCAAs always feels like a bit of a letdown compared to the MPSF tournament, does anybody have any predictions for this weekend? Interesting plot lines include undefeated UCLA trying to finish off a pretty incredible season where they have only been challenged in a couple of games all season. Cal being back in the mix after a pretty ugly past 4 seasons, and USC trying to make the championship game for an 11th consecutive season.

For me, I think Cal gets past USC on Saturday to make the championship game. Then I think Cal gives UCLA a heck of a game (possibly OT) but ultimately loses to UCLA. If USC makes the final game, I will predict a major blowout similar to what UCLA has done to them in the past two games they have played.

If UCLA wins, one might start to wonder how many of these they are gonna win in a row. They would have to be the favorite again next year with a significant core group returning. They have the feel of a dynasty to me.

Rbpolo0414
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan

Re: NCAAs

Postby Rbpolo0414 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:22 pm

I agree with your predictions. Does anyone know is they are streaming the play in games today?

Sfvalleypolo
How are you connected to water polo?: D1 player, NCAA, HS/Club Coach, Fan

Postby Sfvalleypolo » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:29 pm

Rbpolo0414 wrote:I agree with your predictions. Does anyone know is they are streaming the play in games today?

Both games will be streamed live on: http://pac-12.com/live/usc (at respective game times).

Read USC official press release for more: http://www.usctrojans.com/sports/m-wpol ... 15aab.html

Rbpolo0414

Postby Rbpolo0414 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:08 pm

Any predictions for UCSD v Princeton? I think Princeton takes this one.

MikeFromBrooklyn
How are you connected to water polo?: Writer on water polo for Swimming World, Total Water Polo, Water Polo World

Postby MikeFromBrooklyn » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:41 pm

Clearly, Princeton was not equal to UCSD today. Another year goes by without an Eastern team in the FF.

Perhaps this should not be a surprise; while the top 6 East teams (#9 Princeton, #12 Harvard, #14 Johns Hopkins, #15 Brown, #18 St. Francis, #19 Bucknell - rankings latest CWPA poll) went 26-23 against the West (I'm including Air Force in the West, BTW), #4 Pacific was 5-0 against the East and outscored their opponents 82-31.

#4 Stanford was even more dominant: 4-0 and 79-18 (average difference of 15 gpg); USC / UCLA / Cal did not face the East this year (no Eastern teams were at SoCal due to scheduling conflicts).

Much like the gap between Pac-12 / non-Pac-12 MPSF teams appears to be substantial (though Pacific's success this year / two years ago seems to be an encouraging trend) is the gap between East and West growing? I hope not - but the results suggest otherwise.

Justafan2
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan and ex high school coach

Postby Justafan2 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:59 am

MikeFromBrooklyn wrote:Clearly, Princeton was not equal to UCSD today. Another year goes by without an Eastern team in the FF.

Perhaps this should not be a surprise; while the top 6 East teams (#9 Princeton, #12 Harvard, #14 Johns Hopkins, #15 Brown, #18 St. Francis, #19 Bucknell - rankings latest CWPA poll) went 26-23 against the West (I'm including Air Force in the West, BTW), #4 Pacific was 5-0 against the East and outscored their opponents 82-31.

#4 Stanford was even more dominant: 4-0 and 79-18 (average difference of 15 gpg); USC / UCLA / Cal did not face the East this year (no Eastern teams were at SoCal due to scheduling conflicts).

Much like the gap between Pac-12 / non-Pac-12 MPSF teams appears to be substantial (though Pacific's success this year / two years ago seems to be an encouraging trend) is the gap between East and West growing? I hope not - but the results suggest otherwise.

The east coast teams can win the just need to think differently. Their are thousands of potential star water polo players in places like Indiana. Schools like Harvard and Princeton can win if the start early anough and move people to the sport.

Ram
How are you connected to water polo?: yes

Postby Ram » Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:10 am

Justafan2 wrote:The east coast teams can win the just need to think differently. Their are thousands of potential star water polo players in places like Indiana. Schools like Harvard and Princeton can win if the start early anough and move people to the sport.

Wake up! You are dreaming! One of the reasons why the East Coast Teams cannot compete is because teams don't even have a practice in the off season let alone the summer. The young men have to practice on their own and they usually don't. Don't get me started on what I heard about the head coaches and their abilities. These coaches lack passion year round. If you want a strong team, then you need to hire a head coach with water polo flowing through their blood.

The USC and Cal game on Saturday will be a thriller! This just may be the game of the NCAAs to watch! Keep your eyes on the head coaches for great entertainment!
The UCLA vs Cal/USC game on Sunday will also be exciting. After watching the MPSFs, it appears that Cal will give UCLA more of a game. However, you can never count USC out!

Good Luck to all the teams involved.

Rbpolo0414

Postby Rbpolo0414 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:47 pm

Justafan2 wrote:
MikeFromBrooklyn wrote:Clearly, Princeton was not equal to UCSD today. Another year goes by without an Eastern team in the FF.

The east coast teams can win the just need to think differently. Their are thousands of potential star water polo players in places like Indiana. Schools like Harvard and Princeton can win if the start early anough and move people to the sport.

Harvard and Princeton get some good players from California, just not enough to make a difference.

poloincalifornia
How are you connected to water polo?: fan

Postby poloincalifornia » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:58 pm

Does anyone have 1 or 2 spare tickets for sale? Please message me if you do.
Thanks!

MikeFromBrooklyn
How are you connected to water polo?: Writer on water polo for Swimming World, Total Water Polo, Water Polo World

Postby MikeFromBrooklyn » Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:46 pm

Ram wrote:
Justafan2 wrote:Wake up! You are dreaming! One of the reasons why the East Coast Teams cannot compete is because teams don't even have a practice in the off season let alone the summer. The young men have to practice on their own and they usually don't. Don't get me started on what I heard about the head coaches and their abilities. These coaches lack passion year round. If you want a strong team, then you need to hire a head coach with water polo flowing through their blood.

Good Luck to all the teams involved.

I feel compelled to respond here; I don't know that I agree w/a generalization about Eastern coaches not having "water polo flowing through their blood." If you speak with any prominent coach (Felix Mercado at Brown, Ted Minnis at Harvard, Luis Nicolao - a Naval Academy graduate - at Princeton, or Carl Quigley, the former SFC coach) you'll find that they do not lack passion for the sport.

Agreed that they DO lack practice time in the summer; partially, this is a result of NCAA rules (and I just don't know how select programs are able to organize during the summer) and also the nature of the sport in the East; players scatter for the summer and play/practice wherever they are.

Plus, the talent/competition in the East just isn't up to speed - which is why it's crucial for East/West to play against each others whenever possible. I agree with Justafan2 that Eastern programs have to stretch to find talent in untapped locations - Liam Veazey, captain of the SFC team is from Dallas and he was a significant contributor in two Final Fours.

One other thought: when was the last time USC or UCLA came East for a match? Probably the 2009 NCAAs at Princeton; so how about another NCAA tourney at Brown, Harvard, Navy or Princeton (all great indoor facilities) so that Eastern fans can experience the best intercollegiate competition the sport has to offer (without flying across the country...).

retiredguy
How are you connected to water polo?: Former player, fan

Postby retiredguy » Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:34 pm

If teams in the east are not playing much in the offseason, that is the main reason they aren't competitive at the highest levels. Those teams rosters are filled with kids from California from good HS and club programs. I'm not saying they would be winning games against the Big 4 or even the next 4, but it certainly would be much more competitive.

In my experience, the best programs don't pay much attention to the 8 hour offseason rule. Coach D might be able to better comment on this, but my understanding is there are a lot of offseason "optional" wink wink hours. Seems to me that the better programs seem to have a way of getting student-athletes to commit to doing the "optional" times and stay for training over the summer.

When it comes to recruiting, these programs do face challenges similar to Stanford in the high level of student required to attend, as well as the high cost without having much financial aid to offer.

coyote
How are you connected to water polo?: fan

Postby coyote » Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:00 pm

For those that want to view the NCAA Games Online, here is the link. There is no charge.

http://www.uclabruins.com/ViewArticle.d ... R_CONTENT=

onespot
How are you connected to water polo?: ex player , son plays ,fan

Postby onespot » Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:01 am

Great game by USC !! Never count USC out !! Should be a good game tomorrow ..

Rbpolo0414

Postby Rbpolo0414 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:41 am

Baron was amazing. Stopped 2 5m. Cal was never really in this game. They couldn't get anything going on offense.

Polomania103
How are you connected to water polo?: HS Girls & Boys Coach, Fan

Postby Polomania103 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:46 am

What a game! I think if you watch that game you can notice Cal was more talented than USC. Power plays did Cal in; went 1 for 3 on 5m and gosh I don't have the number but it seemed like 0 for 8 on 6n5. It was a fun game to watch. Yet another USC vs UCLA final tomorrow, should be a battle and you are right, never count USC out. On a sidenote: Not real happy with UCLA's hosting of the event. They had "food" for sale which consisted of candy for $4.25 a piece and water for $4.25. No hot dogs or hamburgers like last year. Seating was eh. Should be a good game tomorrow, I am looking forward to it.
"Winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is."
- Vince Lombardi

Return to “Mens Varsity Water Polo”