How are you connected to water polo?: Former Player, Dad of player

Re: 2018 Men's Season

Postby TwoFoulsSwitch » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:27 pm

Final Score: UCLA 18 - GW 6

triton4life
How are you connected to water polo?: ref, player, fan

Postby triton4life » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:39 pm

Congrats to Denny and coaching staff as well. Proud day to be a Triton.
This game was won in the GK with Turner much, much stronger than Marwan.
Connor TL also was great.

I was waiting for UCSD to win before saying this but have to wonder how LB was ranked ahead of them in the polls heading into this game to start?
Looking at the 3 teams after the Big 4 ( who no one beat) LB was 0-4 heading into this game and now 0-5. LB is 0-3 v UC Santa Barbara this year and 0-2 against UCSD.
They also didn't beat any team that SB and SD beat and also had other losses to davis and pepp.

Who is voting on these polls? It seems like the game scores from the entire season are thrown out and LB wins a couple games at the end of the season and move to 5th.

Rbpolo0414
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan

Postby Rbpolo0414 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:14 pm

DinsdalePiranha

Postby DinsdalePiranha » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:41 pm

Great win by UCSD fun to see them moving the program forward, are they officially D1? If they can offer a few scholarships, watch out, who wouldn’t want to be in San Diego at a UC, also great to hear my favorite announcer Chris Dorst, well done
he nailed your head to the floor? Wol, e ad to, I ad transgressed the unwritten law...

oneeyeddeacon

Postby oneeyeddeacon » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:42 pm

Is there a place to watch a replay of the UCSD/LBSU game?

retiredguy
How are you connected to water polo?: Former player, fan

Postby retiredguy » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:24 pm

Anybody else giving UCSD a fighter's chance tomorrow against Stanford? If they can run a strong zone on Hallock and Turner gets hot in the cage, I think it might be pretty close. Maybe I'm just overly optimistic because of the way they basically destroyed LBSU. With that win and the win by UC Davis over Pacific, the WWPA appears to be a much stronger conference than the GCC as of this year. Congrats to those teams!

oneeyeddeacon

Postby oneeyeddeacon » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:45 pm

retiredguy wrote:Anybody else giving UCSD a fighter's chance tomorrow against Stanford? If they can run a strong zone on Hallock and Turner gets hot in the cage, I think it might be pretty close. Maybe I'm just overly optimistic because of the way they basically destroyed LBSU.

As a UCSD fan, while I'm ecstatic that they are in the final four, I am not particularly optimistic about UCSD's chances against Stanford. Granted, I only watched UCSD at the Triton Invitational this year, and I've also watched UCSD play many times in previous years (including every home game between 2008-2013), which might bias me against them. However, historically, good 2M players have caused lots of problems for UCSD, and UCSD has not historically had very good showings against the top-4. While this is arguably UCSD's best team since 2014 (I actually think this team might be better than the 2014 one), that 2014 team had a pretty dismal showing at the NCAA tournament that year, losing to UCLA 15-6 and to Stanford 20-11.

That said, there are also two versions of UCSD that you can see in any given game: one that plays really poorly and loses to CBU by a goal, and another that plays really well and beats LBSU by 5 goals. If the good version of UCSD shows up, they might have a chance against Stanford if Stanford does not play well (especially if Turnbow-Lindenstat scores another 7 goals, and Turner has another 14 blocks). And in general, I think Stanford is probably a more favorable team to play than, say, USC, since USC generally obliterates teams that are worse than them, whereas Stanford can sometimes let them back into the game. See their games against UCSB as an example (Stanford beat UCSB 9-7, whereas USC beat them 16-2).

However, I think Stanford's defense should generally be good enough to press constantly and neutralize UCSD's scoring threats, and their offense (especially at 2M) should be able to get plenty of goals past the UCSD defense. I'll predict that the final score will be 15-7 or so.

jeff
How are you connected to water polo?: I am a fan.

Postby jeff » Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:00 am

With all due respect to UCSD, they have no chance to beat Stanford. Jack Turner is the only UCSD player who would start for Stanford.

Of the four teams in the semi-finals, Stanford has the best starting lineup (I'm counting Jack S as a starter), USC has the most depth, and UCLA has the best coach. The odds of Stanford winning the tournament are about 50 percent because they play UCSD in the semi-finals. USC and UCLA will have to win two tough games to win the tournament and therefore they have about a 25 percent chance of winning the tournament.

Here are my predictions:

Stanford over UCSD by 4 or 5
UCLA over USC by 1

Stanford over UCLA by 1 (Ben Hallock will be named the tournament MVP)

Inwp
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan, former player

Postby Inwp » Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:39 am

My predictions for this weekend:

Stanford over UCSD by 5 or 6 goals.
USC over UCLA by 1 goal. 9-8

USC over Stanford by 2 goals. 11-9

Should be a fun weekend. Looking forward to watching some high level water polo.

Rbpolo0414

Postby Rbpolo0414 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:18 pm

retiredguy wrote:Anybody else giving UCSD a fighter's chance tomorrow against Stanford? If they can run a strong zone on Hallock and Turner gets hot in the cage, I think it might be pretty close. Maybe I'm just overly optimistic because of the way they basically destroyed LBSU. With that win and the win by UC Davis over Pacific, the WWPA appears to be a much stronger conference than the GCC as of this year. Congrats to those teams!

I do not give them a fighters chance. LB is a good win, but they will not have the luxury of facing a weak goalie against Stanford. The only way this game is remotely close is if Stanford pulls the starters early to rest for the final. Stanford was the most impressive team at MPSF, so they are the favorites as of now.

Swearengen
How are you connected to water polo?: mayor

Postby Swearengen » Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:18 pm

[/quote][quote="jeff"]With all due respect to UCSD, they have no chance to beat Stanford. Jack Turner is the only UCSD player who would start for Stanford.

This is exactly the reason why they DO have a chance. A small chance, but a chance nonetheless.

Al
"I'm declaring myself conductor of this meeting as I have the bribe sheet." - Al Swearengen

Return to “Mens Varsity Water Polo”