2018 Men's Season

Mens College Water Polo
anythingpolo
Posts: 290
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:30 am

2018 Men's Season

Postby anythingpolo » Mon May 14, 2018 7:35 pm

Hi All,

With the Women's season coming to an end, here is the start of the Men's Thread. Enjoy!

Rbpolo0414
Posts: 3849
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:43 pm
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan

Re: 2018 Men's Season

Postby Rbpolo0414 » Mon May 14, 2018 7:37 pm

anythingpolo wrote:Hi All,

With the Women's season coming to an end, here is the start of the Men's Thread. Enjoy!


Any word on a new head coach at Princeton?

User avatar
2plyBathingSuit
Posts: 2395
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:54 pm
How are you connected to water polo?: I personally played in High School and College.
Love the sport.

Re: 2018 Men's Season

Postby 2plyBathingSuit » Mon May 14, 2018 11:01 pm

Rbpolo0414 wrote:
anythingpolo wrote:Hi All,

With the Women's season coming to an end, here is the start of the Men's Thread. Enjoy!


Any word on a new head coach at Princeton?


Supposedly, Princeton will be announcing the new coach June 1. I heard the search has been narrowed to three candidates for the position. Derek Ellingson (Princeton former assistant coach) occupies one of those positions.

Thersites
Posts: 265
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:10 am
How are you connected to water polo?: Reknown Waterman. Grew up with the Legends of the Game.

Re: 2018 Men's Season-transfers-New signees

Postby Thersites » Tue May 15, 2018 2:05 pm

Would be great to get "Updated" Rosters for schools with transfers, attrition as well as commitments, still waiting on San Jose, UCI, CAL, and other's to announce their 2018 class. Is the Croatian Jacob Mercep the leading scorer at San Jose transferring to UCI. If so, would he have to "sit out" a year?

User avatar
poloshark
Posts: 520
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:00 am

Re: 2018 Men's Season

Postby poloshark » Wed May 16, 2018 12:57 pm

A lot of teams do not announce the recruiting class, I know that Long Beach does not. Summer also is not a good indication for who will be on the fall roster since the 50 mile rule does not allow all the players to play with their college team during the summer unless they are enrolled in summer classes. Patience is a virtue!!!!

outnumberedmom
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri May 20, 2016 4:15 pm
How are you connected to water polo?: parent

Re: 2018 Men's Season

Postby outnumberedmom » Fri May 25, 2018 9:23 pm

2plyBathingSuit wrote:
Rbpolo0414 wrote:
anythingpolo wrote:Hi All,


Supposedly, Princeton will be announcing the new coach June 1. I heard the search has been narrowed to three candidates for the position. Derek Ellingson (Princeton former assistant coach) occupies one of those positions.



I heard a rumor that Brian Flacks from Harvard Westlake was applying for this position. Any word if he is one of the other 2 candidates?

anythingpolo
Posts: 290
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:30 am

Re: 2018 Men's Season

Postby anythingpolo » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:53 pm

2018 Men’s Season pre summer way too early predictions:

MPSF- Big 4 plus 2, Have to go with UCLA, they were a year ahead of schedule last year. USC could not get it done with McQuin and company over the last 4 years, will be very young, Cal becomes Johnny's team and let’s see how that goes. Stanford has the horses but does it have the ring leader to get the job done? Penn st and Austin good luck

GCC- UOP had a fantastic 2017 and Pavillard is the top player in the conference if not the NCAA's but they lose a ton, do they still run the Japanese press without Stevenson running the D? LBST has a huge recruiting class coming in, looks like the school is going to finally give Gavin the complete package to compete with the big boys. UCI loses too much to be able to compete but rumor is they are getting San Jose's super freshmen Jacob Mercep, he will help. Pepp will still be the Marco show. UCSB has looked good over the spring, and Wolf is fun to watch on the deck. SJST keeps losing players to UCI so hard to compete. My thought is the LBST takes a huge step this year and will be a 3 horse race with UOP and UCSB with LBST going to the dance.

CWPA- just do not know enough

WWPA- Davis will take it over UCSD this year. LMU just can’t get on track.

SCIAC- with Pudwill resigning looks like Pomona/Pitzer will continue to dominate, with Redland, Cal Lu and CMS fighting to make the 2-4 positions.

Good luck all!!!!

Rbpolo0414
Posts: 3849
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:43 pm
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan

Re: 2018 Men's Season

Postby Rbpolo0414 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:24 pm

anythingpolo wrote:2018 Men’s Season pre summer way too early predictions:

MPSF- Big 4 plus 2, Have to go with UCLA, they were a year ahead of schedule last year. USC could not get it done with McQuin and company over the last 4 years, will be very young, Cal becomes Johnny's team and let’s see how that goes. Stanford has the horses but does it have the ring leader to get the job done? Penn st and Austin good luck

GCC- UOP had a fantastic 2017 and Pavillard is the top player in the conference if not the NCAA's but they lose a ton, do they still run the Japanese press without Stevenson running the D? LBST has a huge recruiting class coming in, looks like the school is going to finally give Gavin the complete package to compete with the big boys. UCI loses too much to be able to compete but rumor is they are getting San Jose's super freshmen Jacob Mercep, he will help. Pepp will still be the Marco show. UCSB has looked good over the spring, and Wolf is fun to watch on the deck. SJST keeps losing players to UCI so hard to compete. My thought is the LBST takes a huge step this year and will be a 3 horse race with UOP and UCSB with LBST going to the dance.

CWPA- just do not know enough

WWPA- Davis will take it over UCSD this year. LMU just can’t get on track.

SCIAC- with Pudwill resigning looks like Pomona/Pitzer will continue to dominate, with Redland, Cal Lu and CMS fighting to make the 2-4 positions.

Good luck all!!!!


This feels like the most up in the air season in years. I think any one of the big 4 could take the lead this year. UCLA seems like an early favorite, but they don't have much in the way of upper class leadership this year. They will have to rely heavily on Savelljic to fill the Roelse/Irving role, and that won't be easy. Big freshmen class coming in again this year, with a couple guys that should contribute. Wolf is probably the difference maker as he is far and away above any other goalie in NCAA's. I'd put USC next, although, believe it or not, this could be their year to get back on top with a great class coming in with a strong group of Juniors. If they can figure out who replaces Baron, they will be in the finals again. I reluctantly put Stanford 3rd because Hallock is a beast and could be a Cutino winner next year. Parish is a great all around player and they have some young guys ready to step up. Goalie is a question mark. I will put Cal 4th, but they could easily be better than this. Goalie will be their biggest problem, but the Hooper/Mesmanidis combo is deadly on offense. I'd put UOP 5th with Colak and Pavillard being great players, and looks like they have a big foreign center coming in. Depth will be an issue and their goalie play was horrible in NCAA's (sensing a trend here). Who knows after that.

wpdad
Posts: 128
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:49 pm
How are you connected to water polo?: Parent of two players

Re: 2018 Men's Season

Postby wpdad » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:40 pm

Lets clear the air. UCI will not be getting Jacob Mercep. He is now training with USC. I don't think he will be able to play this year as he is a transfer. Maybe a year on the scout team will make him a better team player.

anythingpolo
Posts: 290
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:30 am

Re: 2018 Men's Season

Postby anythingpolo » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:54 pm

Thanks wpdad

USC gets Rhoades and Mercep. I wonder how that works, it has been asked about Rhoades sitting out and the answer had been that he is playing this year. I wonder if Mercep would be able to play also. Still a big loss for San Jose St.

wpolo93
Posts: 954
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:54 pm
How are you connected to water polo?: fan

Re: 2018 Men's Season

Postby wpolo93 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:30 pm

Yes, Mercep is training with USC this week.

Rbpolo0414
Posts: 3849
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:43 pm
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan

Re: 2018 Men's Season

Postby Rbpolo0414 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:45 pm

anythingpolo wrote:Thanks wpdad

USC gets Rhoades and Mercep. I wonder how that works, it has been asked about Rhoades sitting out and the answer had been that he is playing this year. I wonder if Mercep would be able to play also. Still a big loss for San Jose St.


There are certain conditions that determine whether you have to sit out or not. The main one is the previous coach has to release him and agree to let him play right away. I’ve heard Stanford has agreed for Rhodes but also heard it’s not official. I believe he will play next year. No idea with the other kid.

User avatar
2plyBathingSuit
Posts: 2395
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:54 pm
How are you connected to water polo?: I personally played in High School and College.
Love the sport.

Re: 2018 Men's Season

Postby 2plyBathingSuit » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:23 pm

Rbpolo0414 wrote:
anythingpolo wrote:Hi All,

With the Women's season coming to an end, here is the start of the Men's Thread. Enjoy!


Any word on a new head coach at Princeton?


Dusty Litvak was named the new men's water polo coach for Princeton. Derek Ellingson is the women's coach. Derek will be Dusty's assistant during the men's season and Dusty will be Derek's assistant during the women's season.

Inwp
Posts: 986
Joined: Mon May 02, 2016 10:48 pm
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan, former player

Re: 2018 Men's Season

Postby Inwp » Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:57 pm

Big loss for Adam and the UCLA women's team. Best of luck to both Dusty Litvak and Derek Ellington.

Waterman4ever
Posts: 145
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:14 pm
How are you connected to water polo?: When Legends rule the Coast

Re: 2018 Men's Season

Postby Waterman4ever » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:28 am

What's the thinking to pick Litvack over Ellingson, whose been the Princeton assistant coach for the boys for over 7 years and recruited the team? You would think Litvack would be the woman's coach with his experience with UCLA women and the national team.
2plyBathingSuit wrote:
Rbpolo0414 wrote:
anythingpolo wrote:Hi All,

With the Women's season coming to an end, here is the start of the Men's Thread. Enjoy!


Any word on a new head coach at Princeton?


Dusty Litvak was named the new men's water polo coach for Princeton. Derek Ellingson is the women's coach. Derek will be Dusty's assistant during the men's season and Dusty will be Derek's assistant during the women's season.

Return to “Mens Varsity Water Polo”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 4 guests