2019 Men’s Season

Mens College Water Polo
CAwopofan
How are you connected to water polo?: father of player

2019 Men’s Season

Postby CAwopofan » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:28 pm

When is the next tournament, game, or scrimmage?

Irvbeck
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan, informed observer

Re: 2019 Men’s Season

Postby Irvbeck » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:59 pm

The next thing on the calendar (for some of these guys) is the National League: March 9-10 - Woollett Aquatic Center. Rosters have not yet been released.

anythingpolo

Postby anythingpolo » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:37 pm

Only because I am I am itching for some polo talk and I am tired of talking about Violations.

Way to early Mens Top 10 and why for 2019... Go

retiredguy
How are you connected to water polo?: Former player, fan

Postby retiredguy » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:46 am

1. USC -- Pretty much everything returning from a dominating NCAA Title team. Hard to pick anyone else.

2. Stanford -- Questions at goalie, but most everything else coming back including the most dominant center we have seen in a while.

3. Pacific -- Going out on a limb here a bit, but with NCAAs being hosted at Pacific I think Coach Graham has this team loaded up with talent to compete with the Big 4. My only caveat is that the last 3 years, Pacific might have zero wins over the Big 4 which isn't a great trend after the 2013-2015 years where they had a bunch of big wins.

4. UCLA -- If the rumor about Osborne is true, they lose a solid center and they did lose very crafty player in Rone to graduation.

5. Long Beach St. -- This is based upon the rumors that LB might have some transfers headed their way. Definitely one of the better coaches in the country right now in my opinion as well.

6. Cal -- Weird to put Cal this low, and I know they have a big Greek center headed their way, but losing Hooper and Masmanidis is just huge. I think it will take them some time to adjust, but my guess is that they will be very competitive with the top 5.

7. Pepperdine -- They continue to make progress getting back to the top 5 in my opinion since Schroeder came back after 2012. I realize that seems like a lot of years, but the cupboard was pretty empty there for a while.

8. UCSB -- Not sure about sanctions headed forward, but they still have a pretty good roster and Wolf is a very good coach too.

9. Harvard -- They have some very good players and a nice recruiting class coming in, but until they really train year round like the top programs, they won't be able to crack the top 8.

10. UC Davis -- I love what's happening at Davis, great coaching and they seem to find value in players that no one else will even look at. It's exciting to see them improve every year.

Way too early, but these are my thoughts!

Presidio
How are you connected to water polo?: Former player

Postby Presidio » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:07 am

retiredguy wrote:1. USC -- Pretty much everything returning from a dominating NCAA Title team. Hard to pick anyone else.

2. Stanford -- Questions at goalie, but most everything else coming back including the most dominant center we have seen in a while.

3. Pacific -- Going out on a limb here a bit, but with NCAAs being hosted at Pacific I think Coach Graham has this team loaded up with talent to compete with the Big 4. My only caveat is that the last 3 years, Pacific might have zero wins over the Big 4 which isn't a great trend after the 2013-2015 years where they had a bunch of big wins.

4. UCLA -- If the rumor about Osborne is true, they lose a solid center and they did lose very crafty player in Rone to graduation.

5. Long Beach St. -- This is based upon the rumors that LB might have some transfers headed their way. Definitely one of the better coaches in the country right now in my opinion as well.

6. Cal -- Weird to put Cal this low, and I know they have a big Greek center headed their way, but losing Hooper and Masmanidis is just huge. I think it will take them some time to adjust, but my guess is that they will be very competitive with the top 5.

7. Pepperdine -- They continue to make progress getting back to the top 5 in my opinion since Schroeder came back after 2012. I realize that seems like a lot of years, but the cupboard was pretty empty there for a while.

8. UCSB -- Not sure about sanctions headed forward, but they still have a pretty good roster and Wolf is a very good coach too.

9. Harvard -- They have some very good players and a nice recruiting class coming in, but until they really train year round like the top programs, they won't be able to crack the top 8.

10. UC Davis -- I love what's happening at Davis, great coaching and they seem to find value in players that no one else will even look at. It's exciting to see them improve every year.

Way too early, but what about UCSD? They return their outstanding goalie and they dominated LBS at the tourney. And it will be interesting to see about these transfer rumors.

Rbpolo0414
How are you connected to water polo?: Fan

Postby Rbpolo0414 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:29 pm

Presidio wrote:
retiredguy wrote:1. USC -- Pretty much everything returning from a dominating NCAA Title team. Hard to pick anyone else.

Way too early, but what about UCSD? They return their outstanding goalie and they dominated LBS at the tourney. And it will be interesting to see about these transfer rumors.

I agree that UCSD should be in there. I’d put them at 8 or 9 and boot Harvard. I don’t see UOP being better than UCLA, who was a hair behind USC last year. Wolf will keep them in the conversation for the top spot. Felix is just as good as Osborne and they have a stud center coming in. I know Cal on paper seems like they could drop out of the top 4, but they will find a way stay in the top 4 (but will not make NCAAs again). Stanford at 2 sounds about right. Parrish is a big loss, but I think Jackson S. will have his coming out party as one of the best 2 way players in college. USC obviously is #1 with all their players back except the underrated D’sa. I’m sure they will have new foreign players coming in as well. They are not unbeatable by any means though. LB, Pacific, and Pepperdine should come down to the wire for the GCC bid. Don’t sleep on Pepperdine, who should have their best team in years.

lovethisgame
How are you connected to water polo?: Played in high school and college, dad, overall fan.

Postby lovethisgame » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:33 pm

My "for the moment" updated 2019-way-too-early top 10, given the Vavic news and potential transfers (that were already in the works before Vavic news):

1. Stanford
2. UCLA
3. Pacific
4. USC
5. Long Beach State
6. Cal
7. Pepperdine
8. UCSB
9. UC San Diego
10. UC Davis

- I like Stanford as the #1 during the year and to take it all. 2-4 are my rankings for the year, not necessarily how I think the playoffs will end.
- I think Pacific and LB State are going to be particularly interesting to watch, in the sense that this might be a year they can both secure meaningful wins against the traditional top 4 that aren't considered flukes.
- 7-10 will be very competitive against each other. I can see any of these nicking wins off of each other.

Cal Polo Enthusiast
How are you connected to water polo?: Former player and coach.

Postby Cal Polo Enthusiast » Mon May 13, 2019 1:01 am

lovethisgame wrote:My "for the moment" updated 2019-way-too-early top 10, given the Vavic news and potential transfers (that were already in the works before Vavic news):

1. Stanford
2. UCLA
3. Pacific
4. USC
5. Long Beach State
6. Cal
7. Pepperdine
8. UCSB
9. UC San Diego
10. UC Davis

- I like Stanford as the #1 during the year and to take it all. 2-4 are my rankings for the year, not necessarily how I think the playoffs will end.
- I think Pacific and LB State are going to be particularly interesting to watch, in the sense that this might be a year they can both secure meaningful wins against the traditional top 4 that aren't considered flukes.
- 7-10 will be very competitive against each other. I can see any of these nicking wins off of each other.

I don't think Stanford will be much stronger than last year so ranking them 1st might be a stretch. I'm also not sure about Pacific at #3 especially as I think Luke Pavillard has returned to Australia, although it might have just been for a couple of terms to play in the Australian National League which has just finished.

I also think UCSB will be stronger this year. They ran 5th most of the way through last season, they have an even better goalkeeper this year and their Australian import hole will return after being injured for a large portion of last season. I think they have a shot at making the top 4 - if not this year then next - as they were winning last year with a freshman heavy roster.

USC will be the wild card depending on if there are NCAA sanctions resulting from the bribery scandal.

poloshark

Postby poloshark » Mon May 13, 2019 3:14 am

I have heard the same rumor about Luke. How does that work if he did not finish the semester or Quarter at Pacific, would he be able to play next year? Also, he could chose to stay and try to get Australia to qualify for next year Olympics... Next year has so many questions for the mens season that if will be a very entertaining season.

Cal Polo Enthusiast

Postby Cal Polo Enthusiast » Mon May 13, 2019 7:51 pm

poloshark wrote:I have heard the same rumor about Luke. How does that work if he did not finish the semester or Quarter at Pacific, would he be able to play next year? Also, he could chose to stay and try to get Australia to qualify for next year Olympics... Next year has so many questions for the mens season that if will be a very entertaining season.

I don't know but I imagine that he will soon know if he has a chance of going to Rio. If he does make the Shark's squad he may well choose to stay in Australia as the training camps up to Rio will be mainly there and if not I'd guess he might head back to Pacific.

lovethisgame
How are you connected to water polo?: Played in high school and college, dad, overall fan.

Postby lovethisgame » Mon May 13, 2019 8:20 pm

Pavillard: so much fun to watch when he's on. Hope he's back.
UCSB: I wish them well but feels like a waste of time to talk about them since they still have 2 more years of postseason ban to get through.

Cal Polo Enthusiast

Postby Cal Polo Enthusiast » Mon May 13, 2019 8:26 pm

lovethisgame wrote:Pavillard: so much fun to watch when he's on. Hope he's back.
UCSB: I wish them well but feels like a waste of time to talk about them since they still have 2 more years of postseason ban to get through.

2 more seasons of post season ban?

A one year, now served, voluntary withdrawal to avoid the potential of an official NCAA sanction for a very minor event is what I heard.

I also doubt that Danny Roland would have transferred there if a long term finals ban was in place.

lovethisgame

Postby lovethisgame » Tue May 14, 2019 12:06 am

Cal Polo Enthusiast wrote:
lovethisgame wrote:Pavillard: so much fun to watch when he's on. Hope he's back.

A one year, now served, voluntary withdrawal to avoid the potential of an official NCAA sanction for a very minor event is what I heard.

I also doubt that Danny Roland would have transferred there if a long term finals ban was in place.

My recollection is that it was three years and it was in a string on here last fall somewhere, but I don’t have the energy to look it up. :) Anyway, I’d prefer you were right.

Cal Polo Enthusiast

Postby Cal Polo Enthusiast » Tue May 14, 2019 7:38 pm

lovethisgame wrote:

My recollection is that it was three years and it was in a string on here last fall somewhere, but I don’t have the energy to look it up. :) Anyway, I’d prefer you were right.

I'm fairly sure that was just someone guessing that missing last years finals would mean that a 3 years ban was inevitable. The only official word I know about is this https://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/n ... ournament/

Poloforever
How are you connected to water polo?: fan

Postby Poloforever » Tue May 14, 2019 7:48 pm

lovethisgame wrote:

Lovethisgame
So you are not sure if the probation period for UCSB was 3 years of not; so you just went ahead and said it anyway, whether it was true or not. Please don't bother looking it up; because it takes "way too much energy" to punch the keys on the computer. Exhausting! I guess you can say anything that you want to and not be held accountable, since nobody knows who you are anyway. I'm sure that the UCSB coach is not to happy with you spreading lies about his program.

Return to “Mens Varsity Water Polo”